Show Us Your MiSTers

Showcase builds, discuss cases, embedding MiSTer into existing computer cases.
Newsdee
Top Contributor

Re: Show Us Your MiSTers

Unread post by Newsdee »

Input and output airflow I guess?
mike4t5

Unread post by mike4t5 »

ARCADEAGES wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:23 pm
mike4t5 wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:31 pm Hi all, I recently got myself a 3d printer so I thought it would be a good opportunity to make my own case for the mister. I didn't want to go for the tried and tested 3d printed cases as I wanted a power button and for it to feel a bit more finished. I came up with this design. Hope you like it.
Two fans?
Yeah haha, I know its way over kill but I had one of the fans in another case I designed and I didn't have anything else to do with it. Plus more air flow never hurts.
Newsdee wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:11 pm Input and output airflow I guess?
Yeah that's right! In through the top and out the back.
louksd

Unread post by louksd »

My MiSTer case is a bit oversized, and I'm not finished assembling it yet, but you can see it tucked inside before I put the last cover panel in the front:
20201108_192557.jpg
Note, the back of my MiSTer case will have six dresser drawers in the back for clothes, and a small cabinet space for shoes and sundries...the side panels open like doors and the drawers will pull out the side.

Airflow is limited, but there is a decent volume of space around it to prevent heat soak.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
grizzly

Unread post by grizzly »

Looks good and a nice idé to turn it into a "The MiSTer DreSSer" (i think i would make a sticker/paint that name on it).
Did you cut the plywood yourself or is it a kit?
louksd

Unread post by louksd »

I used the router path for Moon Patrol from Classic Arcade Cabinets, generated a list of circle centers and radii from the corner along with starting and ending lengths along the edges, and re-derived the outline on the plywood, laying a straightedge along the tangents. I then clamped down jigsaw guides offset to those lines, cut the profile for each straight, then cleaned up the corners and edges with a router. The first side took about 5 hours, and the second one took about 45 minutes...I just used the router to copy it like a key at the hardware store!

It was actually rather fun to layout and a little stressful on cutting to make sure I didn't encroach into the profile, but it was really satisfying!
There isn't a single screw in the frame, either...it's all dowels and biscuits!
louksd

Unread post by louksd »

Frame.jpg
The entire frame is free-standing without the side panels. The drawers will go in the openings at the top, bottom, and just underneath the control panel mounting platform. The hardware installation is obviously unfinished in this image - no keyboard will be necessary and the power supply will be mounted on the ceiling of that section.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
grizzly

Unread post by grizzly »

louksd wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:44 pm There isn't a single screw in the frame, either...it's all dowels and biscuits!
Show off :mrgreen:
mcoobe

Unread post by mcoobe »

metalmister2.jpg
mcoobe

Unread post by mcoobe »

[media][/media]
venice
Top Contributor

Unread post by venice »

venice wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:05 pm At Amazon I found an 90° USB 3.0 Adapter and the needed breakout cable for an external SNAC Port but this function is still untested.
I finalized my SNAC Board.
And as I have enough space in the case i simply put it inside ;), between the two USB Adapters.
Mega Drive and SNES Controller are working well :D

Snac_in_Case_with_Front.jpg

My MiSTer Add-On-Projects tty2oled, i2c2oled, SNAC2IEC
You can donate by sending a Postcard to me.

belgarcat

Unread post by belgarcat »

B1BE7A66-0017-43BA-9024-78169D6F5E59.jpeg
33878BE2-6D95-441B-861E-A41ACE99098E.jpeg
574B3FE1-5316-4603-AB97-139908FDDF3F.jpeg
2A3E049F-9AC6-4EA1-9379-8F23DF19BFB9.jpeg
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

belgarcat wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:30 am[insert mind blowing MiSTer arrangement]
This is f'n awesome!!

Maybe a complete run down is in order? (well except for the proprietary .stl files of course, if you don't want to share)

[Edit] I mean what's the size of that LCD panel, specs, where'd you get it, speakers etc. Details man, details! :P
belgarcat

Thanks!
About the screen, it's an iPad screen with a controller board you can find in Aliexpress or ebay. Some info in this thread:
viewtopic.php?p=6344#p6344
I will make adjustments to the 3d model, it's not finished yet.
The stand is downloaded from thingiverse.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3808242
ellie

Unread post by ellie »

belgarcat wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:30 am nice setup!
Very cute! what kind of PSU are you using? It looks like that black box up top is a step up or step down converter? I have an iPad screen I'm building and a MiSTer I've finished, and I'm using a 12v 60w power supply to power the screen (12v x 2-3a = 24-36w), and it also goes to a 12v -> 5v 5a step down converter that powers the MiSTer and a little amp for speakers.

A couple questions: are you using the "digital" speaker outs from the LCD driver board (the little four pin JST connector)? Is the volume just controlled through the OSD? I want to preserve my headphone out on the board, but I also want hardware volume control for the speaker, so I'm using a tiny amp with a volume control. And you don't happen to have a pinout (or know how to work out a pinout) for the little remote control for the board, do you? It's a weird shape and tough for me to mount, so I thought I might make my own, but I don't know completely what I'm doing with that. I assume momentary switches going to ground or 5v would work?
belgarcat

ellie wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:01 am Very cute! what kind of PSU are you using? It looks like that black box up top is a step up or step down converter? I have an iPad screen I'm building and a MiSTer I've finished, and I'm using a 12v 60w power supply to power the screen (12v x 2-3a = 24-36w), and it also goes to a 12v -> 5v 5a step down converter that powers the MiSTer and a little amp for speakers.
I'm using a 12V 3A power supply. Yes, the black box is a step down converter (12V to 5V)
ellie wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:01 am A couple questions: are you using the "digital" speaker outs from the LCD driver board (the little four pin JST connector)? Is the volume just controlled through the OSD? I want to preserve my headphone out on the board, but I also want hardware volume control for the speaker, so I'm using a tiny amp with a volume control.
Yes, the speakers are connected directly to the 4pin JST connector of the screen controller board. The volume is great! The vol up/down is controlled through the OSD, it can always be refined in the MiSTer OSD (Core Volume). It would be great to find a way to have hardware buttons to control it, I've searched for it but I haven't found anything. If somebody comes up with something, i will be more than happy to include it.
ellie wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:01 am And you don't happen to have a pinout (or know how to work out a pinout) for the little remote control for the board, do you? It's a weird shape and tough for me to mount, so I thought I might make my own, but I don't know completely what I'm doing with that. I assume momentary switches going to ground or 5v would work?
About the controller, i'm designing my own board (my first time designing a pcb!) to include the MiSTer on/off switch and the three MiSTer buttons.
Board2.JPG
To learn about the pinout of the board you can check it with a multimeter in continuity mode. This is what I found.
Schema.JPG
Pin8 would be the closest to the CN1 text on the board. I've switched pins 5 and 6 to maintain the same order of the buttons and the order of the icons in the screen's OSD. (For example if you check my first picture, you'll see the green and yellow cables are switched. With the board I'm designing this won't be necessary)
ellie

Unread post by ellie »

You’re the best! Thanks so much for the control diagram; it makes perfect sense. For your volume control: it isn’t buttons, but what about just a stereo 10k audio pot? You have me thinking I don’t need my extra amp, and that’s what I’m planning on doing. I know normally your volume pot comes pre-power amp, but it’s such low wattage that I doubt it matters here.
PauloCastor

Unread post by PauloCastor »

belgarcat wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:30 am
Beautiful work
louksd

Unread post by louksd »

I'm a sucker for "all-in-one" designs, and this one is very clean! Excellent use of display, and the custom PCB is a really nice way to stay tidy. Inspiring work!
Atfnet

Unread post by Atfnet »

Derick2k wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:54 am After seeing so many great cases I decided to jump in and put one together. All off the shelf parts with some acrylic mounting plates I cut. I didn't want to solder much/remove headers, etc..just wanted to do it quickly, if I would have gone with a custom wire job I could have put it in a much smaller case, a bit more neatly. Went a large 120mm fan, very quiet while moving massive air, didn't make sense to pay almost the same price for the smaller 40mm fan from Noctua. Now to actually turn it on, hopefully, it doesn't go up in smoke :lol:
I love your design what is the make and model of the case ?
xtcrefugee

Unread post by xtcrefugee »

AluMiSTer.jpg
vampsthevampyre

Unread post by vampsthevampyre »

AluMiSTer looks fantastic need more details
xtcrefugee

Unread post by xtcrefugee »

vampsthevampyre wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:10 pm AluMiSTer looks fantastic need more details
It's the new aluminium case Porkchop Express (misteraddons.com) has just started selling, I just finished putting mine together.
https://misteraddons.com/blogs/news/same-but-different
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

This looks ace!
...but no provision for the BlisSster board unfortunately :(
maxxsun

Unread post by maxxsun »

my case. :D :D

hUEpsO4DzqxM5dY.jpg
DJjZ39lpzEcvLuV.jpg
FAZbBRofLEeHyNp.jpg
pJZzcdMoSL9eQ4I.jpg
S61N7c5Betv2fLl.jpg
5hsi8WIwvCFJbY4.jpg
MostroW

Unread post by MostroW »

Now that is pure art, using a custom pcb in that gamecube casing, nice work!
retrorepair

Unread post by retrorepair »

maxxsun wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:48 am my case. :D :D
Ok, that's about the coolest thing I've seen :)

Are you selling them or making the gerbers available? :)
stuckie

Unread post by stuckie »

20201217_133408.jpg
20201217_190342.jpg
This is our arcade table. Usually it has a Raspberry Pi sitting inside it, but I've been using the MiSTer with it recently instead. I haven't quite figured out *where* to put it - so it's actually sitting on the floor just out of shot. Usually the Pi sits in the shelf area under where the monitor sits, but it's not big enough to store the MiSTer safely.

The table is cobbled together from bits and pieces that we had laying about a couple of years ago.
The base is an IKEA Lack side table, with a big hole cut out for a Philips 22" monitor. I took the bezel off it as it had silly touch buttons that had failed anyway, and it made it a much nicer shape to fit.
The buttons and sticks were some "zero lag USB encoder" kit found on Amazon, and were surprisingly better quality than I expected.
Annoyingly, the monitor only has DVI and VGA sockets, so I'm using an HDMI to DVI connector at the moment as I don't have the Analogue I/O board. It also means no sound either - for the Pi, I've got a small USB speaker that just connects to the audio out port. For added fun, the viewing angle is best when it's upside down...

Other cobbled bits I have for the MiSTer is an old Maplins wireless keyboard, an Amazon basics USB hub, and a USB WiFi dongle taken from one of those old Tesco Technika "smart box" things that used to be everywhere. That also seems to work better than expected!
Juri

Unread post by Juri »

mike4t5 wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:31 pm Hi all, I recently got myself a 3d printer so I thought it would be a good opportunity to make my own case for the mister. I didn't want to go for the tried and tested 3d printed cases as I wanted a power button and for it to feel a bit more finished. I came up with this design. Hope you like it.
Hello mike, nice case and nice colors! please may i know what filaments have you used?
thanks
JF
desaster

Unread post by desaster »

Hello!

Here is my MiSTer installed in a cheap chinese Mini-ITX case, along with 3d-printed front & back panels.

mister_mitx_front.jpg
mister_mitx_demo.jpg
  • The metal case is sturdy, only front & back are 3d-printed plastic
  • All connections go out from the back
  • A couple USB connections in front for good radio signal
  • Uses some random old USB hub
  • No I/O board
More images and info in the imgur album.
nmac

Unread post by nmac »

Here's mine on a 3D Printed on an Ender3:
photo_2020-12-29_09-04-22.jpg