Show Us Your MiSTers

Showcase builds, discuss cases, embedding MiSTer into existing computer cases.
Veln

Re: Show Us Your MiSTers

Unread post by Veln »

desaster wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:25 pm Hello!

Here is my MiSTer installed in a cheap chinese Mini-ITX case, along with 3d-printed front & back panels.
  • The metal case is sturdy, only front & back are 3d-printed plastic
  • All connections go out from the back
  • A couple USB connections in front for good radio signal
  • Uses some random old USB hub
  • No I/O board
More images and info in the imgur album.
Very nice!! I'm doing something similar in a thin mini-ITX case, just waiting on a HDMI extension (the exact same one as in your pics).
venice
Top Contributor

Unread post by venice »

After moving the SNAC Adapter inside the case I found these useful Micro-SD-Breakout-Adapters in Austria and added two of them :D.
See http://www.ribu.at/Tabelle_3.asp?File_N ... 2_1=680526 (German Language Website)
English Google Translation: https://translate.google.com/translate? ... 1%3D680526

SD_Breakout.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

My MiSTer Add-On-Projects tty2oled, i2c2oled, SNAC2IEC
You can donate by sending a Postcard to me.

ToothbrushThreepwood

Unread post by ToothbrushThreepwood »

My 6-year old son had been looking over my shoulder while I assembled/installed/troubleshooted my MiSTer setup (io-board + hub, no case) earlier this year. Before christmas, he told me that he’d made me a christmas gift at school, that he was sure I was going to like. These self-crafted creations normally aren’t his strongest asset, so I didn’t pay much attention to his excitement about this particular one. And when I opened it, I initially couldn’t figure out what the bead plate was supposed to resemble, until he said that it was “the little computer” and he pointed out all different parts: green pcbs, black fan, red memory module from ultimatemister, brass standoffs, usb ports etc...
Now it hangs on the wall over my MiSTer setup :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Newsdee
Top Contributor

Unread post by Newsdee »

ToothbrushThreepwood wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:12 pm Now it hangs on the wall over my MiSTer setup :D
This is the cutest MiSTer build ever
frnno967

Unread post by frnno967 »

Not quite as nice as some on here, but rather than send this old PC to the landfill it's got a new lease on life as a home for the MISTer.

PXL_20210103_010316932.jpg
PXL_20210103_010322100.jpg
PXL_20210103_005337918.jpg
PXL_20210103_010656468.jpg
Rikko

Unread post by Rikko »

Here's my setup, still in the works though.

Case.JPG
Case_.JPG

Designed as two piece case + buttons, housing a De-10 Nano + IO Board + 20mm fan. Test case was printed before I was given an official MiSTer logo (compliments of jca). There's a lot of ringing artifacts visible on the case, so printer could use a bit of tlc as well.

Case is meant to be opened from the power connector side (no particular reason), and the cover snaps in via 4 tabs. This is where the design needs some tuning, as tabs are not flexible enough to prevent breakage. I'll probably make them longer and change their geometry a bit. Airflow is fantastic, through hex shaped side vents. Overall case rigidity is high. Once I print a second test piece, I'll perform a "sit-down" test on the current piece. :D

Case__.JPG
128Mb v2.5 @150MHz
USB Hub v2.1
IO Board v6.1
built, not bought
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

Rikko wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:08 pm Here's my setup, still in the works though.
That's a great design!
aitotat

Unread post by aitotat »

IMG_20201231_185743.jpg

My case design is heavily influenced by this thread. I have very good DOS computers but there are lots of games that are better on Amiga. So instead of getting real Amiga, i got interested in mister since it can be connected to modern TVs and VGA monitors. Since it can also handle pretty much every 8- and 16-bit home computers and consoles and much more i thought it is something i should have along with my dos systems.

I wanted it to be small so it can easily be moved to TV if necessary. I thought XBOX One S is quite good size for that. Then i thought maybe size of Roland CM-32L would be better so i could stack them to save space. Unfortunately i made couple of mistakes so my misters width is smaller than that. I ended up 265x238x98mm.

Instead of disk drive i was supposed to put some lid and under it SD-cards, USB-port and maybe easy access to USB HDD. But since i just happened to have one of those 5V samsungs i thought it would be great to use it. Even if it is never connected it certainly looks great. I'll wait some more finalized way to connect it. I don't want any unnecessary wires since the case is a bit too small already. Then there is also the problem how I'm going to install both the user I/O Midi and floppy drive at the same time. The midi board is from legacypixels (just like all the rest mister boards. I got them all as DIY kits). Midi board is not connected at the moment since the usb cable didn't fit. I've ordered some angle connectors to fix that.

Also the HDMI cable is missing from the back panel. Cheap Chinese panel mount cable didn't work at all so i ordered new one. RJ45 is only accessible when top cover is removed. I couldn't get both VGA and RJ45 to fit inside the case. I even had to solder the VGA cable directly to IO-board. I ordered USB Wifi adapter for internet access. At least updating software is now possible when removing top cover.

D-connectors at the front are not connected at the moment. I'm planning to eventually connect them to USB adapters. 15-pin D-connector is for PC joystick.

Here are some more pictures.
SegaSnatcher

Unread post by SegaSnatcher »

IMG_1236.jpg
xblade

Unread post by xblade »

My "cheap" setup for now.

Mister case created from faulty ATX power supply with on/off switch. It provides plenty room for basic de10 nano board with 32sdram module and 3A 5V power suply (MEAN WELL RS-15-5). FPGA board is attached from bottom by 4 screws.
Passive usb hub handles cheap china controller, wifi and keyboard + mouse dongles.
mister-atx-case-set.jpg
Detail of the atx case from back. There is also short 90° hdmi cable from aliexpress attached to the back of the case.
mister-atx-case-detail.jpg
grizzly

Unread post by grizzly »

Different but nice!
venice
Top Contributor

Unread post by venice »

Just for fun :mrgreen:
I am thinking about adding an (Status) Display to my case.
IMG_6419.PNG

Click for an short Video showing just a few Logos.
Maybe the used MCU (ATMega 1284 here) can be connected to the MiSTer via an internal USB-Serial connection and show things like "starting core.." etc.
It's just an idea.

venice
Top Contributor

Unread post by venice »

Bits n Stuff wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:32 pm Could it be used to display thongs like the current v-sync mode, output resolution, etc?..
I am not sure because the display needs at first an connection to the MiSTer System in some way
and I don't know if this is something Sorgelig likes to add.

It was generally just an idea to pimp my case a bit.

antoniovillena

Unread post by antoniovillena »

venice wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:30 am
Bits n Stuff wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:32 pm Could it be used to display thongs like the current v-sync mode, output resolution, etc?..
I am not sure because the display needs at first an connection to the MiSTer System in some way
and I don't know if this is something Sorgelig likes to add.

It was generally just an idea to pimp my case a bit.
Hi. I currently sell MiSTer with 128x64 oled display but without software support. Are you interested to support them? The are available trough i2c (same pins than RTC) and detected by Linux.
Chosen_S

Unread post by Chosen_S »

There’s some amazing projects in here, I’m impressed by all the 3d print stuff and woodworking. Also the Dell computer a guy used is a good use of resources. I like seeing that stuff too!

I used a 1980s alarm clock by GE. I’ve been holding onto this clock shell for over 20 years waiting for a project worthy to install into it, a NUC Windows PC with emulation just was never OK with me.

I managed to fit in a four port USB hub and a 1 TB ssd that actually fits inside!

The slide power on off switch works, the snooze button is the reset button for the Mister, The other two buttons, are also connected.

Currently I am connected to a 37” flat crt that I’ve been saving for such a time. I’m using a vga to component cable. And a wired xbox360 usb controller at this time.
venice
Top Contributor

Unread post by venice »

Chosen_S wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:19 pm I used a 1980s alarm clock by GE. I’ve been holding onto this clock shell for over 20 years waiting for a project worthy to install into it,
...that's the right way :D

venice
Top Contributor

Unread post by venice »

Hi Antonio,
antoniovillena wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:03 pm Are you interested to support them? The are available trough i2c (same pins than RTC) and detected by Linux.
I send you an PM.

laserface

Unread post by laserface »

Stuck my Mister into a broken Xbox360, nothing fancy but does the job.

50824753532_5cbb48d01c_o.jpg

im not the best at soldering so didn't try, reuse the existing ports on the case at the rear,
so there is Hdmi, the 3.5mm audio jack, RJ45 and 3 usbs, and a further 2 usbs behind the small flap at the front.

50824657251_17631974cc_o.jpg

some hot glue to keep the cables in place.

50805581898_cca306f30c_o.jpg

using the hd bay to access the memory card if needed.

50824752747_06646c1d46_o.jpg
barfood

Unread post by barfood »

Wow I am absolutely blown away by the builds you guys have made. They are not the most practical space-wise, but they are a joy to look at. The digital GE clock in particular caught my eye :)

Here's my simple 3D printed case. I chose red, in honor of the SNK red cabs! I'm eyeing the aluminium case from MisterAddons, but I'll wait until my case doesn't suit my needs anymore... (plus, I don't want to have bought a Noctua fan for nothing :lol: )

C14wVMC.png
bazza_12
Top Contributor

Unread post by bazza_12 »

Chosen_S wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:19 pm I used a 1980s alarm clock by GE. I’ve been holding onto this clock shell for over 20 years waiting for a project worthy to install into it
incredible.. mind blown.. many congrats.
The music is reversible but time is not. Turn back. Turn back
venice
Top Contributor

OLED Testing

Unread post by venice »

First live OLED Test using an SSD1322 Display with 256x64 Pixel connected via SPI to an ESP32 which is connected via USB Serial to the MiSTer.
Oled.jpg
Moved to Topic viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1887

Dark Chili

Unread post by Dark Chili »

This is getting out of hand! Now there are two of them!
grizzly

Unread post by grizzly »

Dark Chili wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:23 pm This is getting out of hand! Now there are two of them!
Time to go to the vet and snip/snip before you have a whole litter of them :mrgreen:
venice
Top Contributor

Update OLED Testing

Unread post by venice »

Live OLED Test using an SSD1322 Display with 256x64 Pixel connected via SPI to an ESP32 which is connected via USB Serial to the MiSTer.

Update for more stabilty and faster response.
Is it worth to open an separate Topic?

Moved to: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1887

muthuxmut

Re: Update OLED Testing

Unread post by muthuxmut »

venice wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:20 am ..
Is it worth to open an separate Topic?
yes :D
Galaga Tragic :)
SwedishGojira

Unread post by SwedishGojira »

venice wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:20 am Is it worth to open an separate Topic?
Definitely :)

I want to include this in my custom MiSTer case. I have converted an old cable box that have a transparent plastic front and this would be perfect for this one shining trough.
venice
Top Contributor

Unread post by venice »

SwedishGojira wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:32 am Definitely :)
Done :)

Mort Handsome

Unread post by Mort Handsome »

Hi,

I'll share my MiSTer case too! I used a black aluminum mini ITX computer case. It's about the size of a Mac mini, but a little taller. It looks quite sleek in person.

Front:

ICo5geE.jpg

Inside:

FJosDPe.jpg

Rear:

JJ0BCIz.jpg
  • I only used the DE10-Nano & SDRAM board, no IO board.
  • I mounted the DE10-Nano to the case via the bottom air vent slots, 2 screws with the board diagonal.
  • To mount a fan on the DE10-Nano, I made my own top mount.
  • To use the case side USB ports, I made a dual USB Header to dual male USB A adapter, out of two broken USB cables and a port off of something I found in my junk electronics box.
  • I made my own inline power switch, mounted to the rear using existing holes.
  • I made a DIY rear panel, it's not pretty, but unseen and functional. I'll 3D print this when I eventually get a 3D printer.
  • The fan, case LED, and case reset button, are all connected to the GPIO.
  • I used a cheap non-powered USB hub, it does the job. Mounted with zip ties.
I bought a Raphnet NES to USB dual input board. I planned to mount it to the front of the case in a similar manner to the NES. After seeing how terrible a job I did cutting out holes in the rear panel, which is only plastic, I know that I'd butcher the aluminum case. So I'm giving up on that idea for now.
Veln

Unread post by Veln »

Mort Handsome wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:37 pm Hi,

I'll share my MiSTer case too! I used a black aluminum mini ITX computer case. It's about the size of a Mac mini, but a little taller. It looks quite sleek in person.
Good job, very similar to what I've done, including drilling holes in to a piece of plastic for the rear ports until I get a 3D printer. :D

I've been struggling getting the front momentary power button to work properly for weeks (waiting ages on parts to arrive only for them not to work, then ordering something else... repeat).

I gave up on it and ordered a latching switch which should fit the case, arrived 10 mins ago so should get it finished today. :)
SuperBabyHix

Unread post by SuperBabyHix »

Finally finished up my MiSTer stick and case.

gU9WoOw.jpg

The case is nothing special, just a metal project box. Right now it's a pretty minimal setup, but it is what works best in my setup. I use my monitor's built in USB hub and selector switch to share my keyboard, mouse, and joystick between devices. It has plenty of room for expansion, so maybe an MT32Pi in the future?

4T86X70.jpg
ySY6Q8L.jpg
ZDmtO4d.jpg

The joystick itself is an old Hori stick that I gutted and put in a Daemonbite Arcade adapter and some extra buttons for Menu and Pause. The stick itself is a Seimitsu LS-56 and the buttons are Seimitsu as well.

aOG3Ia8.jpg