MAME or HBMAME ROMs?

matt64

MAME or HBMAME ROMs?

Unread post by matt64 »

For the arcade cores to work do you need to have mame roms, hbmame roms, or both? I ran the getter scripts for both, but I'm not sure which I really need.
SwedishGojira

Re: MAME or HBMAME ROMs?

Unread post by SwedishGojira »

MAME contains the original unedited roms for arcade games while HBMAME contains edited roms, like some of them where they have changed the speed or starting lives or other modifications. You don't really need the HBMAME if you don't like to play the alternatives qnd just stick to the main game.
ash2fpga

Unread post by ash2fpga »

If you are trying to find out which files you need for a specific arcade game, you can look at the mra file in a text editor.

There is a rom entry with names of zip files that will be searched, and part entries with the names of the individual rom files in the zip files.

The main mister "alternatives" mra collection appear to include both official revisions and homebrew (hacks, etc.). The files for official revisions appear to be included in mame, and only homebrew in hbmame. The mame zip files may include the individual rom files for multiple official revisions, rather than a zip file per revision.

I configured my ini files for the update scripts to not automatically load the "alternatives" mra files, or hbmame files, for example.
exoticatom

Unread post by exoticatom »

I am looking for a game "Missle Command" which I have on Mame.
Can I import it in MiSter?
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

exoticatom wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:47 pm I am looking for a game "Missle Command" which I have on Mame.
No. MiSTer isn't a "drop-in" emulator. Although many Atari 6502 boards, such as the one you're requesting, have their ICs already reproduced inside the DE-10 Nano's FPGA chip, this particular game/board hasn't yet come into the attention of the guys making the cores.

I believe it's a matter of time though :)
JaguarLV
Core Developer

Unread post by JaguarLV »

I started working on a Missile Command core, too soon to release a preview. Won't release it until I'm done updating the Centipede core.
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

JaguarLV wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:19 pm I started working on a Missile Command core, too soon to release a preview. Won't release it until I'm done updating the Centipede core.
...there you go @exoticatom :mrgreen:

The MiSTer community keeps on giving!
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

exoticatom wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:47 pm I am looking for a game "Missle Command" which I have on Mame.
Important thing to consider that I like to bring up, MAME was developed over the course of 23 years now. It has "cores" too in this same sense. When you load in Missile Command in MAME, someone made a MAME driver that emulates that arcade hardware specifically.

https://github.com/mamedev/mame/blob/ma ... issile.cpp

Here's the main code of the Atari Missile Command MAME emulator for instance.

MiSTer just has about 2 decades of catching up to do, and the progress is pretty swift already. The MiSTer is a different goal and different kind of project, it takes a lot of work to simulate the original systems in FPGA.
birdybro~