MiSTer MidiLink

Kernel, Main, Utilities & Applications, Miscellaneous Devices.
bbond007
Top Contributor

Re: MiSTer MidiLink

Unread post by bbond007 »

Alkadian wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:36 pm
Y O U A R E A S T A R!!!! That worked like a charm!!!! :mrgreen:

Thank you so much for your very much appreciated help! I am so happy! I will be spending all night playing The Secrets of Monkey Island :lol:

By the way Dosmid is fantastic, really!
Super :)

You may also want to copy the "/sbin/midilink" from your MiSTer (or here https://github.com/bbond007/MiSTer_Midi ... r/midilink) to your RPi. the "2.9d" version may still have a bug I fixed a while back where very large sysex messages were being truncated and skipped leading to some wrong sounds. I only seen this effect Dune 2 so far...

Alkadian wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:36 pm One final question please, would you recommend CM-32L over MT-32?
In general, I would recommend CM-32L ROMS for emulation.

CM-32L soundbank is superset of the MT-32 soundbank, meaning CM-32 has all the same patches as MT-32 however MT-32 lacks some sound effects patches that the CM-32L has. Not that much stuff is CM-32L specific, but for a good example play GODs with MT-32 vs CM-32L ROMs...

As far as the actual hardware, MT-32 looks cooler with the LCD and the enclosure is not subject to yellowing like the CM-32L. With the way the prices have been going on these modules, you probably get whichever one you can find for a reasonable price...
Alkadian
Top Contributor

Unread post by Alkadian »

bbond007 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:42 pm
Alkadian wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:36 pm
Y O U A R E A S T A R!!!! That worked like a charm!!!! :mrgreen:

Thank you so much for your very much appreciated help! I am so happy! I will be spending all night playing The Secrets of Monkey Island :lol:

By the way Dosmid is fantastic, really!
Super :)

You may also want to copy the "/sbin/midilink" from your MiSTer (or here https://github.com/bbond007/MiSTer_Midi ... r/midilink) to your RPi. the "2.9d" version may still have a bug I fixed a while back where very large sysex messages were being truncated and skipped leading to some wrong sounds. I only seen this effect Dune 2 so far...

Alkadian wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:36 pm One final question please, would you recommend CM-32L over MT-32?[/b]
In general, I would recommend CM-32L ROMS for emulation.

CM-32L soundbank is superset of the MT-32 soundbank, meaning CM-32 as all the same patches as MT-32 however MT-32 lacks some sound effects patches that the CM-32L has.

As far as the actual hardware, MT-32 looks cooler with the LCD and is not subject to yellowing like the CM-32L...
Lovely, I have replaced the midilink as well! All the error messages have now gone!

Thanks for your recommendations as well!

I remember, back in the day, that I always wanted a MT-32..particularly for that sexy LCD :lol:
314ter

Unread post by 314ter »

Hi @Alkadian and @bbond007,

Could one of you guys provide us with a set of compiled Munt binaries for the rPi4?
I don't think I can do this compiling by myself, since I have never compiled anything...
Alkadian
Top Contributor

314ter wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:32 am Hi @Alkadian and @bbond007,

Could one of you guys provide us with a set of compiled Munt binaries for the rPi4?
I don't think I can do this compiling by myself, since I have never compiled anything...
Hi,

There you go! Enjoy it! :mrgreen:

I have included both the console version (mt32d) and the X-Windows graphical version (xmt32)
Attachments
mt32d_rpi4.zip
(176.54 KiB) Downloaded 226 times
314ter

Unread post by 314ter »

Super, thanks! I will try this.
bbond007
Top Contributor

As a follow-up to this topic --> viewtopic.php?p=15750#p15750

I have reorganized the UART menu in order to fix the broken modem functionality. --> https://github.com/bbond007/Main_MiSTer ... 3ed91c4d6a

If this change makes everyone happy (please leave feedback), I will submit PR to Sorgelig...

Also included in this is a new Fluidsynth. d0pefish (of the mt32-pi project) identified a potential memory leak in Fluidsynth when unloading soundfonts and it was recently fixed by Fluidsynth devs. Because we can frequently change soundfonts in the OSD (without reloading Fluidsynth), this is an issue due to the limited amount of RAM available to the HPS Linux. This Fluidsynth also has better compiler optimizations than the previous one and may perform better.

FT232 USB serial adapter can now be used for MIDI (instead of USB MIDI adapter).
The setting to use USB MIDI or USB Serial as MIDI is UART:MIDI/Local/USB.

This allows other modes to be used without needing to unplugging the MIDI adapter which was annoying now even though I thought it was a good idea at the time.

When such adapter is connected UART mode USBSER becomes available.

Using this mode and this cable with a null-modem external legacy serial devices such as old modems and other serial devices can be attached. I have attached my MiniMig 1.1 (with null-modem cable) abd send files via Zmodem at 115200 BPS.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/153104025639

The update procedure is:
  • Copy linux_img_update.tar.gz to '/media/fat/' using whatever method you prefer
  • Restart from cold boot (just to be safe)

Code: Select all

cd /
rm /lib/libfluidsynth.so.2*
rm /media/fat/MiSTer
tar -xvzf /media/fat/linux_img_update.tar.gz
reboot

linux_img_update.tar.gz contains the following files:

/lib:
/lib/libfluidsynth.so.3
/lib/libfluidsynth.so
/lib/libfluidsynth.so.3.0.0

/media/fat:
/media/fat/MiSTer

/media/fat/linux:
/media/fat/linux/MidiLink.INI

/sbin:
/sbin/fluidsynth
/sbin/uartmode
/sbin/mlinkutil
/sbin/midilink

EDIT:
Updated linux_img_update.tar.gz as I found a issue in my code. --> https://github.com/bbond007/Main_MiSTer ... 5878a650aa
Alkadian
Top Contributor

bbond007 wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:29 pm As a follow-up to this topic --> viewtopic.php?p=15750#p15750

I have reorganized the UART menu in order to fix the broken modem functionality. --> https://github.com/bbond007/Main_MiSTer ... 3ed91c4d6a

If this change makes everyone happy (please leave feedback), I will submit PR to Sorgelig...

Also included in this is a new Fluidsynth. d0pefish (of the mt32-pi project) identified a potential memory leak in Fluidsynth when unloading soundfonts and it was recently fixed by Fluidsynth devs. Because we can frequently change soundfonts in the OSD (without reloading Fluidsynth), this is an issue due to the limited amount of RAM available to the HPS Linux. This Fluidsynth also has better compiler optimizations than the previous one and may perform better.

The update procedure is:
  • Copy linux_img_update.tar.gz to '/media/fat/' using whatever method you prefer
  • Restart from cold boot (just to be safe)

cd /
rm /media/fat/MiSTer
reboot
Optionally (to remove old Fluidsynth libs) :

linux_img_update.tar.gz
linux_img_update.tar.gz contains the following files:
/lib:
/lib/libfluidsynth.so.3
/lib/libfluidsynth.so
/lib/libfluidsynth.so.3.0.0

/media:
/media/fat
/media/fat/MiSTer

/media/fat/linux:
/media/fat/linux/MidiLink.INI

/sbin:
/sbin/fluidsynth
/sbin/uartmode
/sbin/mlinkutil
/sbin/midilink
Execellent, many thanks for this update bbond007! I will test and report back!
bbond007
Top Contributor

Alkadian wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:47 pm Execellent, many thanks for this update bbond007! I will test and report back!
Thanks for testing!

I originally said doing "rm /lib/libfluidsynth.so.2*"c (to remove old FluidSynth libs) was optional, but now I think its a good idea due to how little free space is available on the Linux.img.
NML32

Unread post by NML32 »

@bbond007 thank you for the update. Looks good. :)
I like the new layout.
Alkadian
Top Contributor

bbond007 wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:54 pm
Alkadian wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:47 pm Execellent, many thanks for this update bbond007! I will test and report back!
Thanks for testing!

I originally said doing "rm /lib/libfluidsynth.so.2*"c (to remove old FluidSynth libs) was optional, but now I think its a good idea due to how little free space is available on the Linux.img.
The new menu looks very good and neat to me, no confusion whatsoever at all. I have also removed the old FluidSynth libs as advised.

Just to confirm, do I need to change anything in the Midilink.ini file?

Also I guess the usual UART settings should stay the same as they worked :lol:

Connection : MIDI
MidiLink : Remote
Type : UDP

Thanks!
duhproject

Unread post by duhproject »

I've been testing the new changes (I don't use MIDI, but do use the virtual modem) and everything seems to work well!
Lisko

Unread post by Lisko »

I've decided to wait for official update and seen today's changelog I updated with the official script. After that I opened minimig but every time I tried to enable modem uart option it instead selected "None". Then I manually updated using bbond007 method above and then all started working fine. Maybe the official updater updated only main mister binary but not the linux part?
bbond007
Top Contributor

Lisko wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:36 pm I've decided to wait for official update and seen today's changelog I updated with the official script. After that I opened minimig but every time I tried to enable modem uart option it instead selected "None". Then I manually updated using bbond007 method above and then all started working fine. Maybe the official updater updated only main mister binary but not the linux part?
To make the latest changes in the MiSTer Main UART OSD work you'll still need a new "uartmode" script and MidiLink (in the linux.img).
linux_img_update.tar.gz
(208.2 KiB) Downloaded 204 times

cd /
reboot
Eventually the updater will pick up a new SD image and this will be unnecessary obviously.

I'd also like to included a build of the very latest FluidSynth (in the SD image), but I'm having some issues getting the latest to work thus I have gone back to the one I built last week, but at least it includes the soundfont memory leak fix.
dwmcqueen

Unread post by dwmcqueen »

I tried this update (just the second one after updating Mister) - and the menu works great! However, in C64, I am getting gibberish when trying to use the modem. I'll try more testing but not sure anyone else is getting the same issue.
bbond007
Top Contributor

dwmcqueen wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:08 pm I tried this update (just the second one after updating Mister) - and the menu works great! However, in C64, I am getting gibberish when trying to use the modem. I'll try more testing but not sure anyone else is getting the same issue.
In C64 OSD, make sure User port is set to UART and not Joystick 3 & 4.
Alkadian
Top Contributor

@bbond007,
Just to report that after the latest Mister update everything is working as expected. I can now see the new menu. I will test tonight the modem option with the c64 core by connecting to a BBS.
bbond007
Top Contributor

This update includes a build of the latest FluidSynth 2.1.x branch

To update:

cd /
rm /lib/libfluidsynth.so*
reboot
linux_img_update.tar.gz
(191.5 KiB) Downloaded 177 times
included files:
usr/lib/libfluidsynth.so
usr/lib/libfluidsynth.so.2
usr/lib/libfluidsynth.so.2.3.7
usr/sbin/mlinkutil
usr/sbin/midilink
usr/sbin/uartmode
Alkadian
Top Contributor

Alkadian wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:52 pm @bbond007,
Just to report that after the latest Mister update everything is working as expected. I can now see the new menu. I will test tonight the modem option with the c64 core by connecting to a BBS.
@bbond007,
Just to confirm that I have tested it with the c64 core. The new menu is showing correctly the modem option and I have managed to connect to a few BBS'. I will now test the new update for the latest FluidSynth 2.1.x branch and report back here.
Alkadian
Top Contributor

bbond007 wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:14 am This update includes a build of the latest FluidSynth 2.1.x branch

To update:

cd /
rm /lib/libfluidsynth.so*
reboot
linux_img_update.tar.gz

included files:
usr/lib/libfluidsynth.so
usr/lib/libfluidsynth.so.2
usr/lib/libfluidsynth.so.2.3.7
usr/sbin/mlinkutil
usr/sbin/midilink
usr/sbin/uartmode
@bbond007
I have installed the new update, thanks. Everything seems to be working fine. Just playing lands of lore and it is sounding great!

Just a question. I have had to to select the Sound Blaster option and not the Sound Canvas to actually use Fluidsynth. In fact if I select Sound Canvas I don't get the music. Is that normal?

Thanks a lot!

EDIT: I have also tried these lovely games with Fluidsynth:

Doom
Doom II
Sam & Max: Hit the Road
dwmcqueen

bbond007 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:40 pm
In C64 OSD, make sure User port is set to UART and not Joystick 3 & 4.
Thanks! I confirmed it was set correctly and still get gibberish.
Attachments
PXL_20210213_193815090.MP.jpg
PXL_20210213_193815090.MP.jpg (5.28 MiB) Viewed 14204 times
dwmcqueen

Is there anything else I should try or look at (or reload the files)?
Alkadian
Top Contributor

dwmcqueen wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:24 pm Is there anything else I should try or look at (or reload the files)?
Just trying to help you out.

I have just tested it again and Striketerm works fine here. I can type the atdt command without any issues and I can connect to a few BBS's.

Just to double check. Did you select the option modem (UART mode) in the OSD menu? Ensure the settings are correct, by default you should get TCP @2400.

Try to download Striketerm again, just in case:

https://csdb.dk/release/?id=130807

Just out of curiosity, which BBS are you trying to connect to? I can try it as well.

Other than that I cannot think of anything else I am afraid.
dwmcqueen

I'll try Striketerm. I am using QuantumLink Reloaded (http://q-link.net/) which worked great before this change.
dwmcqueen

It works in STriketerm. I think the issue is the 1200 baud. If I run QuantumLink in the patched version that allows 2400 baud - all is well. If I change the setting to 1200 and run the normal QuantumLink (that only runs at 1200 baud), it doesn't work.
patamar4

Unread post by patamar4 »

It's been a long time since I don't use core ao486 and now it's no longer working by the SC-55 using roland's usb cable, when using the fluidsynth using soundfont works normally, is there any bug in the core? Last time I used it was at the time we implemented intelligent MPU401
dwmcqueen

I figured out the issue - but not sure how to solve. Changing the baud rate in the C64 menu does not change the baud rate in MidiLink.INI and it stays at 2400 baud.

I am not sure how to debug, but let me know if there is anything else I can look at.
abbub

Unread post by abbub »

So, is 'Modem' currently broken on C64? When I select it from 'UART Mode' it jumps back a screen and shows 'Connection: None' with no other options other than 'save'. Updates have been run, and the current C64 core on the sd card is: C64_20210216.rbf
bbond007
Top Contributor

abbub wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:26 pm So, is 'Modem' currently broken on C64? When I select it from 'UART Mode' it jumps back a screen and shows 'Connection: None' with no other options other than 'save'. Updates have been run, and the current C64 core on the sd card is: C64_20210216.rbf
Have you installed this update?

https://misterfpga.org/viewtopic.php?p=17936#p17936
dwmcqueen

You have to do the update and it works (sort of - having issues changing the baud rate).
bbond007
Top Contributor

dwmcqueen wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:20 am You have to do the update and it works (sort of - having issues changing the baud rate).
I'll look into the baud rate change issue for C64