Wallpaper Request

For topics which do not fit in other specific forums.
killersquirel

Wallpaper Request

Unread post by killersquirel »

I was thinking about wallpapers today because of all of the amazing new wallpapers that are coming out and was wondering if it would be possible to have a new feature for the MiSTer where we could have a folder named "Backgrounds" or "Wallpapers" where we can save all of these wallpapers that we could cycle through with the F1 key instead of just having one selected and named menu.jpg or menu.png.

What are your thoughts on this both as an idea and also if it would be feasible.
Locutus73
Core Developer

Re: Wallpaper Request

Unread post by Locutus73 »

Try to make a “wallpapers” dir in the root of your SD and put some images there... but first delete any menu.png or menu.jpg in the root.

Regards

Locutus73
killersquirel

Unread post by killersquirel »

Does that work?
keith.f.kelly

Unread post by keith.f.kelly »

Yes, per the wiki documentation. The only catch is that it only select a wallpaper at random on each boot; it doesn't periodically rotate through them while sitting at the menu (which would be really nice, especially with a little crossfade between them).
tRAcE

Unread post by tRAcE »

Does this really work? I can't seem to get it to load anything other than the default images, neither from /wallpapers nor /backgrounds.
Threepwood

Unread post by Threepwood »

tRAcE wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 1:03 pm Does this really work?
It does. Create a folder "wallpapers" and put png-files inside, then press F1 in the MiSTer main menu until it shows up. Where there usually is a checkered background, one of the wallpapers should appear.
Locutus73
Core Developer

Unread post by Locutus73 »

tRAcE wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 1:03 pm Does this really work? I can't seem to get it to load anything other than the default images, neither from /wallpapers nor /backgrounds.
Did you delete any menu.png or menu.jpg in the root?

Regards

Locutus73
tRAcE

Unread post by tRAcE »

Ah, I think I misunderstood the feature.

As both of you said, place some wallpapers in /wallpapers and then the menu selects one randomly on startup.
What I didn't get was if I hit F1 I could cycle throught the various test patterns, the snowy animation and exactly that one randomly selected picture.

I was under the impression, that F1 would allow me to cycle through all the pictures in /wallpapers too in addition to the testpatterns.
So another background always means a restart and a new random one will be selected.
boulderdash

Unread post by boulderdash »

Faced an issue with no wallapers showing, regardless of menu.png in root directory or a wallpapers only folders with the png/jpg files there. Nothing worked.

Got an advise to update the SD card... So I tried another SD, used the setup to image it from scratch and added the wallpapers folder there.
Now everything works fine!?!?

Is that a bug? some files can't be read correctly from some SDs? Any thoughts?