C64 Input Devices

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
lomdar67

C64 Input Devices

Unread post by lomdar67 »

Hi,

not sure if this belongs here in this section so feel free to move it.

I started replaying old C64 games on MiSTer like Gridrunner, or Fort Apocalypse but I'm having difficulties with my input devices. So far I have tested a XBox One GamePad and the 8BitDo M30 but both don't feel right.

For example the Fort Apocalypse. I'm quite sure, that you could fly your chopper so that you could shoot at a 45 degree angel. I'm not able to do that with my pads.

I don't want to get into adapter boards and using original controllers, so I was wondering if there is anything "modern" out there with USB that I can use to play those kind of games. I saw a Competition Pro remake with USB, anyone use that?

Best regards,
Michael
We raise hopes here...until they're old enough to fend for themselves.
--Mike Callahan
Threepwood

Re: C64 Input Devices

Unread post by Threepwood »

lomdar67 wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 8:33 am I saw a Competition Pro remake with USB, anyone use that?
I have two of those.

The old version had a too low polling rate, but the "20 Years" edition, that is currently being sold and comes with 20 games, is fine. It feels authentic and like an original down to being quite stiff when new. But beware the switches are authentic loud, too.

Needless to say, it works just fine with MiSTer, but for me they are too stiff and loud compared to a game pad.
limi
Top Contributor

Unread post by limi »

Threepwood wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 10:25 amThe old version had a too low polling rate, but the "20 Years" edition, that is currently being sold and comes with 20 games, is fine.
Would you be willing to donate one for controller testing if you ended up preferring your game pads?

https://mobile.twitter.com/misteraddons ... 5400158210
Threepwood

Unread post by Threepwood »

limi wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 12:11 pm
Threepwood wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 10:25 amThe old version had a too low polling rate, but the "20 Years" edition, that is currently being sold and comes with 20 games, is fine.
Would you be willing to donate one for controller testing if you ended up preferring your game pads?

https://mobile.twitter.com/misteraddons ... 5400158210
No, but this is the controller if you want to donate one: https://www.amazon.com/SPEEDLINK-SL-650 ... B07K9N36GG
limi
Top Contributor

Unread post by limi »

Already donated one, thought I’d ask just in case. Thanks for the links!
lomdar67

Unread post by lomdar67 »

Got my 20 Year’s edition yesterday. For me playing old C64 games with it is much more fun than with a game pad. But it’s really loud. Can’t remember that the original was really that loud, but that was almost 40 years ago... ;-)
We raise hopes here...until they're old enough to fend for themselves.
--Mike Callahan
limi
Top Contributor

Unread post by limi »

You are correct in remembering that the original Competition Pro was not as loud. The initial versions did not have microswitches, that was added in later models, around the time they introduced the blue/silver models with autofire buttons. So the initial black/red model that most people have used is different than the USB model currently on sale.

Zipstik is the other, less noisy (but still microswitch based) stick from the Amiga/C64 era that I recommend.