eXo/Flynn Top 300 DOS Pack Updates (Updated to 2.0.2 MyMenu) and Support

flynnsbit
Top Contributor

Re: eXoFlynn Top 300 DOS Pack Updates and Support

Unread post by flynnsbit »

What happens if you turn off the vga_scaler?
vga_scaler = 0
wackygamer

Unread post by wackygamer »

flynnsbit wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:02 pm What happens if you turn off the vga_scaler?
vga_scaler = 0
Its the same, from the menu it always starts with the display stretched and out of proportion. Going to Dos and navigating to the folder and starting is the only way to get it to display correctly (E:\Games\DukeNuke\Duke3d\Duke3d). Its weird because Doom and Dark forces start fine :?
wackygamer

On another note, it seems Duke 3d is also the only one that hard crashes (doom,hexen,dark forces run fine). I dont know if that is because im launching the game from the setup or just the ao486 core. So far just base Duke 3d starts,I'm unable to run Duke 3d Atomic from the menu since I cant use the setup and dos just gives me a read error.
wackygamer

I think its the executable, im going to try my own cd.
Attachments
150025200_2860000674248034_6753247689700374444_o.jpg
150025200_2860000674248034_6753247689700374444_o.jpg (60.65 KiB) Viewed 7522 times
151184253_2860000684248033_8361362838257807427_o.jpg
151184253_2860000684248033_8361362838257807427_o.jpg (123.4 KiB) Viewed 7522 times
chocomochino

Unread post by chocomochino »

Terminator Future Shock crashes similar to this one,

Exception 0dh General protection fault at 358:0000024D7
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

That's the DPMI/DOS4GW bug issue. Use Dos32a instead with those games and it should work.
chocomochino

flynnsbit wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:23 pm That's the DPMI/DOS4GW bug issue. Use Dos32a instead with those games and it should work.
Thank you, yes that's correct got it working!
wackygamer

chocomochino wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:41 pm
flynnsbit wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:23 pm That's the DPMI/DOS4GW bug issue. Use Dos32a instead with those games and it should work.
Thank you! :!: :)
wackygamer

wackygamer wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:11 am
chocomochino wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:41 pm
Thank you! :!: :)
So I figured it out after watching a ton of flynns video's and the hint to dos32.After changing duke3d.exe and setup.exe to dos32a.. I edited the duke3d.cfg and changed Chained to 1 and Vesa to 0 then I edited the 1_Start.bat to

cd Duke3d
cd Duke3d
cd Duke3d
duke3d.exe

Im guessing on hdmi or higher resolutions that vesa works fine, but for vga it was messing up with the resolution.
Thanks for everything flyn! :D :D
wackygamer

Further testing, ive gotten better performance in Duke3d using these settings. (Modify Duke3d.cfg) ;)
Im guessing it would perform the same with Vesa on instead of Chained, going to test Shadow Warrior tmmrw. (But for me Chained on is the way)

[Setup]
;Setup File for Duke Nukem 3D
SetupVersion = "1.3D"
;
;
[Screen Setup]
;
;
;ScreenMode
; - Chained - 1
; - Vesa 2.0 - 0
; - Screen Buffered - 36
; - Tseng optimized - 6
; - Paradise optimized - 8
; - S3 optimized - 5
; - RedBlue Stereo - 7
; - Crystal Eyes - 6
;
;ScreenWidth passed to engine
;
;ScreenHeight passed to engine
;
;
ScreenMode = 1
ScreenWidth = 320
ScreenHeight = 200
;
;
(did not include the bottom portion)
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

wackygamer wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:25 am Further testing, ive gotten better performance in Duke3d using these settings. (Modify Duke3d.cfg) ;)
Im guessing it would perform the same with Vesa on instead of Chained, going to test Shadow Warrior tmmrw. (But for me Chained on is the way)

[Setup]
SetupVersion = "1.3D"
;
;
[Screen Setup]
;
;
;ScreenMode
; - Chained - 1
; - Vesa 2.0 - 0
; - Screen Buffered - 36
; - Tseng optimized - 6
; - S3 optimized - 5
; - RedBlue Stereo - 7
; - Crystal Eyes - 6
;
;
;
;
ScreenMode = 1
ScreenWidth = 320
ScreenHeight = 200
;
;
If you find better settings that are more performant on the core through your testing, I am sure everyone would appreciate you submitting a pull request against the config if it is in the Top 300. That way we can push it out to everyone. Example: https://github.com/flynnsbit/Top300_upd ... DUKE3D.CFG
aihooo444

Unread post by aihooo444 »

on mega man x I cannot get to the second level all works fine until you beat first level then after you continue or save and continue later it goes back to launcher
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

aihooo444 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:57 am on mega man x I cannot get to the second level all works fine until you beat first level then after you continue or save and continue later it goes back to launcher
Lol, I could never beat the boss car on the first level to test that. How do you beat it?
wackygamer

flynnsbit wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:46 am
wackygamer wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:25 am Further testing, ive gotten better performance in Duke3d using these settings. (Modify Duke3d.cfg) ;)

[Setup]
SetupVersion = "1.3D"
;
;
[Screen Setup]
;
;
;ScreenMode
; - Chained - 1
; - Vesa 2.0 - 0
; - Screen Buffered - 36
; - Tseng optimized - 6
; - S3 optimized - 5
; - RedBlue Stereo - 7
; - Crystal Eyes - 6
;
;
;
;
ScreenMode = 1
ScreenWidth = 320
ScreenHeight = 200
;
;
If you find better settings that are more performant on the core through your testing, I am sure everyone would appreciate you submitting a pull request against the config if it is in the Top 300. That way we can push it out to everyone. Example: https://github.com/flynnsbit/Top300_upd ... DUKE3D.CFG
Im at work now, but apparently the eight Settings under screen mode are different settings (ScreenMode=1 is chained,2 is Vesa etc etc).. going to test somethings later and report back.
aihooo444

Unread post by aihooo444 »

flynnsbit wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:06 am
aihooo444 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:57 am on mega man x I cannot get to the second level all works fine until you beat first level then after you continue or save and continue later it goes back to launcher
Lol, I could never beat the boss car on the first level to test that. How do you beat it?
LOL
You have to completely destroy the cars that drop down not just the guys driving them I think 3 maybe 4 then a unbeatable boss beats you up and then that is end of level one then once you continue goes back to launcher
grizzly

Unread post by grizzly »

A bit offtopic now but hope Flynn is ok with it :|

For those that do not know (i sure didn´t until about 3 months ago :evil: ) there exits "sourceports" for Duke Nukem/doom/hexxen/heretic/Wolfenstein/and many more.
For example eDuke32 for Duek Nukem which works extremely well on windows 10 and give options for higer resolution/better graphic.
There also exits many usermade maps for many of the "sourceports" games some work fine on the original port many do need a "sourceport" for graphic/etc to be able to run though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Source_port
https://emulation.gametechwiki.com/inde ... urce_Ports
https://dukenukem.fandom.com/wiki/EDuke32
https://dukenukem.fandom.com/wiki/User_map

I have tried many of them and prefer to play with the "sourceport", sure it will not be on the specific "MiSTer setup" it will be played on for those that have one setup.
wackygamer

grizzly wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:16 pm A bit offtopic now but hope Flynn is ok with it :|

For those that do not know (i sure didn´t until about 3 months ago :evil: ) there exits "sourceports" for Duke Nukem/doom/hexxen/heretic/Wolfenstein/and many more.
For example eDuke32 for Duek Nukem which works extremely well on windows 10 and give options for higer resolution/better graphic.
There also exits many usermade maps for many of the "sourceports" games some work fine on the original port many do need a "sourceport" for graphic/etc to be able to run though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Source_port
https://emulation.gametechwiki.com/inde ... urce_Ports
https://dukenukem.fandom.com/wiki/EDuke32
https://dukenukem.fandom.com/wiki/User_map

I have tried many of them and prefer to play with the "sourceport", sure it will not be on the specific "MiSTer setup" it will be played on for those that have one setup.
Ive been aware of the ports, but Im one that prefers playing on original hardware. (I own and use old p2's and celeron laptops for such a task) Not sure if I was just tired or what but I was mistaken about the performance gain in duke3d.. theres a way to switch modes in duke3d, and I thought since theres a tseng driver for windows that it would work.. but ended up being a garbled mess. I think its safe to say that Duke3d/Quake and earlier 3d games were developed with the Pentium in mind. Though its able to start and run on a 486 its not ideal.
Voljega

Unread post by Voljega »

HIjacking a little bit Flynnsbit's thread to announce release of 0.9 version of ExoDOSConverter

https://github.com/Voljega/ExoDOSConver ... g/0.9-beta

Changelog:
Add full support for eXoWin3x for most generation types (but not MiSTeR or maybe it needs to be tested, most likely doesn't work)
Add support for eXoDOS updates (done through Launchbox or the update.bat script)
Automatic detection of which collection is used
Better fixed game shortnames for MiSTeR using names from eXoDOS
Full rework of the image cache systems to be more stable, more quick, and system agnostic
Lots of fixes

I would be gratefull and curious if anyone could test some Windows 3.1 games on MiSTeR and tell me if it works
(on github's issues please thaaanks)
matthewpont

Unread post by matthewpont »

I tried to play Dark Forces yesterday, but it failed (can't remember the error though).

Ever since then, the Top 300 menu no longer loads up, as I get "Secondary VHD not mounted". It is definitely mounted! Maybe it got corrupted?
chocomochino

matthewpont wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:39 pm I tried to play Dark Forces yesterday, but it failed (can't remember the error though).

Ever since then, the Top 300 menu no longer loads up, as I get "Secondary VHD not mounted". It is definitely mounted! Maybe it got corrupted?
I was able to make it load just today :

Launch in the last option de DOS image; browse to the dark forces directory, and launch setimuse.exe in the directory, configure the sound;
then launch the game got it working like that!
matthewpont

I can't even get the menu to appear anymore though...

I'm currently trying a new usb HD to see if that is the issue
chocomochino

I have to mount them twice, in the entries, Is weird
chocomochino

Voljega wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:45 am HIjacking a little bit Flynnsbit's thread to announce release of 0.9 version of ExoDOSConverter

https://github.com/Voljega/ExoDOSConver ... g/0.9-beta

Changelog:
Add full support for eXoWin3x for most generation types (but not MiSTeR or maybe it needs to be tested, most likely doesn't work)
Add support for eXoDOS updates (done through Launchbox or the update.bat script)
Automatic detection of which collection is used
Better fixed game shortnames for MiSTeR using names from eXoDOS
Full rework of the image cache systems to be more stable, more quick, and system agnostic
Lots of fixes

I would be gratefull and curious if anyone could test some Windows 3.1 games on MiSTeR and tell me if it works
(on github's issues please thaaanks)
I tried running this version of the tool, some games like india jones and hugo showed error with extracted files, not compatible
matthewpont

matthewpont wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:39 pm I tried to play Dark Forces yesterday, but it failed (can't remember the error though).

I fixed my issue. I think it was because I used an older version of the update script which bust my install. I created a fresh install of Top 300, and then updated using the latest script. All good now.
mapti89

Unread post by mapti89 »

flynnsbit wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:48 pm Known issues:
Prince of Persia crashes after level one. Seems to be a bug with the crack used in the game.
I have the same issue with my CD copy of PoP ( without crack ) it doesn't happen when using internal pc speaker mode
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

mapti89 wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:36 pm
flynnsbit wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:48 pm Known issues:
Prince of Persia crashes after level one. Seems to be a bug with the crack used in the game.
I have the same issue with my CD copy of PoP ( without crack ) it doesn't happen when using internal pc speaker mode
Yeah there is a github issue that details the options and workaround now. https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/ao486_MiSTer/issues/34
AnthonyQ

Unread post by AnthonyQ »

Hi everyone,

I'm new to Mister and I am having problems with updating the top 300

ao486 runs fine and I can get into the main menu
The files are located on usb0

I have read all 10 pages, but I still cannot get the update to run, it keeps telling me that it cannot find the files and it keeps looking at the SD card.

I have successfully run the script below and it finished telling me that it is now at 0.75

I then try to run the update script for the top300 pack and it still keeps wanting to look only at the sd card.

Would appreciate any help I can get.

Thank you

flynnsbit wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:12 pm
MrX_Cuci wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:40 am Hmmm....scripts seems to look at media/fat/games, but I have them on media/usb0/games i can't seem to find any mnetion of the games directory in the 0.76 update script. Can anyone tell me where to put the path in the SH file?
For now, pull this script down and edit the top for /usb0. I'll fix it to where it finds it in the next revision:
https://git.io/JtMwe

Code: Select all

# Base directory for all script’s tasks, "/media/fat" for SD root, "/media/usb0" for USB drive root.
BASE_PATH="/media/usb0"

then run it.
ryanvb

Unread post by ryanvb »

This pack is allowing me to relive some fond childhood memories. Thank you so much flynnsbit!

I have one question. Is there a tutorial somewhere for adding our own games into the mix, but without breaking compatibility with future updates?

Edit: Spoke too soon. Just discovered the "manually added games" tutorial here.
Voljega

Unread post by Voljega »

chocomochino wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:45 pm I tried running this version of the tool, some games like india jones and hugo showed error with extracted files, not compatible
Hi, yes there were some bugs, I fixed them since but haven't released a new version yet, I want to include some other things before
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

AnthonyQ wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:52 pm Hi everyone,

I'm new to Mister and I am having problems with updating the top 300

ao486 runs fine and I can get into the main menu
The files are located on usb0

I have read all 10 pages, but I still cannot get the update to run, it keeps telling me that it cannot find the files and it keeps looking at the SD card.

I have successfully run the script below and it finished telling me that it is now at 0.75

I then try to run the update script for the top300 pack and it still keeps wanting to look only at the sd card.

Would appreciate any help I can get.

Thank you

flynnsbit wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:12 pm
MrX_Cuci wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:40 am Hmmm....scripts seems to look at media/fat/games, but I have them on media/usb0/games i can't seem to find any mnetion of the games directory in the 0.76 update script. Can anyone tell me where to put the path in the SH file?
For now, pull this script down and edit the top for /usb0. I'll fix it to where it finds it in the next revision:
https://git.io/JtMwe

Code: Select all

# Base directory for all script’s tasks, "/media/fat" for SD root, "/media/usb0" for USB drive root.
BASE_PATH="/media/usb0"

then run it.
You can pull down the script here and then just change the basepath at the top of the script, or you can use the .ini file that is in the github and set it that way. https://github.com/flynnsbit/Top300_upd ... ter/update