Drama? What happened to Atari-forum?

For topics which do not fit in other specific forums.
redsteakraw

Drama? What happened to Atari-forum?

Unread post by redsteakraw »

In case anyone that is new doesn't know MiSTer's forums was a subforum of Atari-Forum.com for the past 2 weeks it says it is under construction with no apparent change and now Misterfpga.org pops up with the new official forum for the MiSTer project moving here. So does anyone know what happened to Atari-Forum? Will it come back? Can some of the threads be archived or migrated over here? Do you have any inside information please reply. Inquiring minds want to know.
Fear is the mind killer!
Kitrinx
Core Developer

Re: Drama? What happened to Atari-forum?

Unread post by Kitrinx »

There was no Drama. Atari-forums just kind of went away one day, without much detailed explanation as to why, other than sort of a vague message about moving. MiSTer has outgrown that forum for a while, and forums are pretty valuable for helping others in the community, so it seemed like the right time to make the change.
remowilliams

Unread post by remowilliams »

Dal had posted that AF needed to move servers and that's what's taking the time, no drama that I'm aware of.

MiSTer being it's own entity here, and being able to have sections instead of megathreads should be a good change.
ericgus09

Unread post by ericgus09 »

Im honestly surprise Mister didn't get its own dedicated forums sooner.. but AFAIK there was a post about the forum software needing some kind of security update (IDK -- dont have the post in front of my I saw a couple days ago). But the atari forums vanished sometime before and was weirdly redirected to some OTHER atari website, which honestly was a good wake-up call it was probably time to move on.
Phaedrus

Unread post by Phaedrus »

As a new user to mister I've been googling questions and more often than not the links are pointing to the atari-forum. You can get the first page cached by google, but it's pretty difficult to get at the info now. Any chance the info is still going to be ported over in some form?
evilsim

Unread post by evilsim »

I'm So glad there is a place to talk about all things mister!
But yeah I have to use Google cache to look at atariforums stuff. Hopefully any of the valuable mister info can be recreated here.
legacypixels

Unread post by legacypixels »

There was a note on Atari Age that seemed to indicate that Dal needed to get AF back up by Wednesday
US based seller of MiSTer addon boards. Visit https://www.legacypixels.com/mister
werpu

Unread post by werpu »

First of all, I am glad that MiSTer now has its own forum, the Atari Forum was the wrong place anyway, given that the ST core was one of the last remaining 16 bit cores even getting proper support.
But I would love to see the Atari Forum coming back there is a load of information for other systems. The permanent under maintenance status they have now is not really good news. I hope they have not lost all the data.
More information on their side would be appreciated.
Anyway Sorgelig, thanks for opening the forum.
ericgus09

Unread post by ericgus09 »

Phaedrus wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 3:01 am As a new user to mister I've been googling questions and more often than not the links are pointing to the atari-forum. You can get the first page cached by google, but it's pretty difficult to get at the info now. Any chance the info is still going to be ported over in some form?
You could try the internet archive's "wayback" machine but its pretty spotty as to what was captured and what wasnt.. the older an item is, the more likely it was saved..
https://web.archive.org/web/2020050316 ... .php?f=117
Sorgelig
Site Admin

Unread post by Sorgelig »

As mentioned above, it was good sign that MiSTer should become independent.
I didn't move to separate board because i didn't want to occupy my busy time with forum management.
More tasks for me - less time for each task.
I prefer to concentrate on development than supporting on forum.
ArinoCX

Old Forum

Unread post by ArinoCX »

Hi,

Just wondering what the plan is with the old forum? Have some info I need to look up :)

Will it come online or are all the post being migrated to the new boards?

Thanks

*EDIT* - nevermind, posted in the wrong thread lol
Kreeblah

Unread post by Kreeblah »

Sorgelig wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 9:47 am As mentioned above, it was good sign that MiSTer should become independent.
I didn't move to separate board because i didn't want to occupy my busy time with forum management.
This makes a lot of sense. Managing a forum can be a huge timesink, and I don't envy anybody who decides to do it.

I do hope that the Atari Forums come back up at some point, though, in case there's any important information on there that needs to be moved over here.
Rikko

Unread post by Rikko »

Sorgelig wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 9:47 am As mentioned above, it was good sign that MiSTer should become independent.
I'll join with saying that MiSTer deserved a board of its own. The only pity is amount of knowledge left on A-F. I wish it could be transferred here.

In regards to more tasks for you Sorg, I have one advice that always worked in my office. Don't fall into the doer's trap - delegate. :)
128Mb v2.5 @150MHz
USB Hub v2.1
IO Board v6.1
built, not bought
WolfgangBlack

Unread post by WolfgangBlack »

Rikko wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:08 pmDon't fall into the doer's trap - delegate. :)
That is often the best solution.
Have someone else who is trusted by you deal with forum administration so
you can keep doing what you want.
antibolo

Unread post by antibolo »

Since both this forum and atari-forum use phpBB, once the latter is functional again, perhaps it would be possible to transfer the old threads here? (maybe as read-only archive threads)
redsteakraw

Unread post by redsteakraw »

UPDATE: Atari Forum is fully down not even resolving or giving the under construction it was a wise decision to make this forum, thank you Sorgelig
Fear is the mind killer!
Nat

Unread post by Nat »

Looks like they are in the process of setting back up with a newer version of phpBB as the logo is no longer the old ATARI logo and the default phpBB one.
MiSTer FPGA Add-On Boards : UK based, low cost worldwide shipping.
https://MiSTerFPGA.co.uk/
jca
Top Contributor

Atari Forum

Unread post by jca »

Atari Forum is back!
Chris23235
Top Contributor

Re: Atari Forum

Unread post by Chris23235 »

That's great news :)
Chris23235
Top Contributor

Unread post by Chris23235 »

They are back, at least kind of. Topics aren't loaded right now, but I think this will be fixed soon.
Solskogen

Unread post by Solskogen »

Back would be a overstatement.
"sometimes back" would be better ;)
Kreeblah

Unread post by Kreeblah »

I'm glad the old posts aren't lost. There's some really good info in there about why some of the stuff in MiSTer is the way it is.
darksakul

Unread post by darksakul »

Phaedrus wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 3:01 am As a new user to mister I've been googling questions and more often than not the links are pointing to the atari-forum. You can get the first page cached by google, but it's pretty difficult to get at the info now. Any chance the info is still going to be ported over in some form?
That depends on individual users willing to sit though archives and copy and pasting relevant info
It is my great regret that we live in an age that is proud of machines that think and suspicious of people who try to.