Using a matrix keypad for second generation consoles

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
jlancaster86

Using a matrix keypad for second generation consoles

Unread post by jlancaster86 »

Has anybody ever considered integrating one of these 3×4 matrix keypads into an arcade stick for console such as the ColecoVision, Intellivision, or Atari 5200? I'm considering hacking one together with a keyboard encoder, but surely there are more elegant solutions.

Having the MiSTer recognize it as a controller rather than a keyboard would be preferable, but is it possible to have that many buttons on a single controller? Are there even any joystick encoders that support more than 12 buttons?
darksakul

Re: Using a matrix keypad for second generation consoles

Unread post by darksakul »

jlancaster86 wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:11 am
Having the MiSTer recognize it as a controller rather than a keyboard would be preferable, but is it possible to have that many buttons on a single controller? Are there even any joystick encoders that support more than 12 buttons?
Yes there is. The Ralphnet and I think Demonbytes SNES to USB adapters can accept the SNES NTT Data Keypad and all it's inputs.

Used-NTT-Data-Keypad-Super-Famicom-Controller-Nintendo.jpg
Used-NTT-Data-Keypad-Super-Famicom-Controller-Nintendo.jpg (16.15 KiB) Viewed 1065 times
It is my great regret that we live in an age that is proud of machines that think and suspicious of people who try to.
Mellified

Re: Using a matrix keypad for second generation consoles

Unread post by Mellified »

I've used the Jaguar Pro controller replica setup with my BlisSTer.
https://hoskinson-industries.myshopify. ... r-lot-of-1

I just checked and I'm able to map all the buttons, including the 3x4 keypad.