Robocop

CeeDeeVee

Robocop

Unread post by CeeDeeVee »

Has anyone looked at doing the data-east arcade ‘Robocop’, an absolute classic, one of my favorite arcades?
Yorkshire fella, living in California, where no one understands a word I say unless it's a quote from Game of Thrones.
I do music, code and burn myself with soldering irons. Part dog, part wolf, all coffee addict.
CeeDeeVee

Re: Robocop

If no one else is interested in doing this, I’d consider having a working on it, but I know I won’t have any time for a long while.
I could couldn’t see this one having been raised before
Yorkshire fella, living in California, where no one understands a word I say unless it's a quote from Game of Thrones.
I do music, code and burn myself with soldering irons. Part dog, part wolf, all coffee addict.
Shuffle7

Unread post by Shuffle7 »

It would be an amazing game to have it run on the mister. Favourite film of all time! Loved it in the arcades
RascalUK

Unread post by RascalUK »

I've got a bootleg arcade PCB of it somewhere I forgot about.
cmstar0

Unread post by cmstar0 »

This was the first arcade game I fell in love with as a kid. Would absolutely love to see this on Mister and support in any way I can, via Patreon or some other method.
CeeDeeVee

Yes, it is an awesome arcade game, still fun now! I must admit to still having some 'baggage' over the quality (read lack of budget and time given to developers) of C64 and Amiga (ST port) home conversions. Especially the dirty trick of making the drugs level impossible to complete on the C64!
If only they had known how many copies they would sell...
CeeDeeVee

Actually one of the reasons I started running my MiSTer (apart from having DE10s laying around for other FPGA work) was that I found an old cassette with my 8/9-years-old-self attempt at redoing Robocop on the C64 and wanting to get that up and running again on hardware. I got some nice big detailed 'arcade-style' sprites at the time. Trying hard not to get sucked in to this rabbit hole, but... hmm.
CeeDeeVee

Of course, doing this data east core would also provide 'Bad Dudes Vs. Dragon Ninja'. Maybe somewhat less desirable of a game, but still historically relevant. Not sure how many other Data East roms could be supported by this. I'll look in to this more when I have some time later, but if anyone has any links to quality resources for research, lmk.
bazza_12
Top Contributor

Unread post by bazza_12 »

Robocop would be amazing to have on MiSTer.. I can almost feel the sticky floor of the arcade carpet beneath my feet..
The music is reversible but time is not. Turn back. Turn back
metalfacemark

Unread post by metalfacemark »

i played through this on mame on my cabinet recently using unlimited continues, i know now why it was so hard, its a really short game! Would be great to have a core.
Megahurtz

Unread post by Megahurtz »

I think JT had expressed interest in doing Robocop and/or some other Data East titles of the era. Not sure how that fits in with his current plans, but you could try contacting him.
ARCADEAGES

Unread post by ARCADEAGES »

I have a Robocop PCB and absolutely love it. Pairs nicely with Aliens and Ninja Turtles to get that late 80's arcade feel. The voice samples and music are a key part of the audio found in any good arcade.

The PCB is a Data East MEC-M1 which supports: Robocop, Bad Dudes, Birdie Try, Heavy Barrel, Hippodrome, and Stadium Hero. See some details here: https://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=939
jotego
Core Developer

Unread post by jotego »

I bought the schematics for this game, at a high price actually, a while ago. It is one of my favourites so it will get done.
Open IP for many chips in my github account
RBF files for my MiSTer cores in jtbin
Support new IP and core development here
MostroW

Unread post by MostroW »

jotego wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:47 pm I bought the schematics for this game, at a high price actually, a while ago. It is one of my favourites so it will get done.
Just out of curiosity Jotego, what is considered a high price and were those schematics not something that could be potentially stumbled upon the internet?
Or did you purchase those schematics because they were authentic / original and therefore valuable to you?
CeeDeeVee

Well I'll leave this if JT is going to do it. I'll probably look at elements of it to scratch my own itch as it were though, I got interested in the 3 custom gate arrays...
I might well go back and look at me childish 'remaster' of the C64 version hahah :lol:
CeeDeeVee

ARCADEAGES wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:46 pm I have a Robocop PCB and absolutely love it. Pairs nicely with Aliens and Ninja Turtles to get that late 80's arcade feel. The voice samples and music are a key part of the audio found in any good arcade.

The PCB is a Data East MEC-M1 which supports: Robocop, Bad Dudes, Birdie Try, Heavy Barrel, Hippodrome, and Stadium Hero. See some details here: https://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=939
thanks for this link, as I said I'll leave it as JT is on it already. However, I totally agree that Turtles is another one, (I never got to see Aliens at the time). Also agree that sound is key part, I've actually been building a lib of cabinet impulse responses that I use for my own set up (I'm running a custom DSP on my rig so it's external), perhaps this could be useful contribution to MiSTer?
Shuffle7

Unread post by Shuffle7 »

jotego wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:47 pm I bought the schematics for this game, at a high price actually, a while ago. It is one of my favourites so it will get done.

Fantastic !!!!!! Read somewhere you liked this game hoping you’d try and do it
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

CeeDeeVee wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:37 pm I've actually been building a lib of cabinet impulse responses that I use for my own set up (I'm running a custom DSP on my rig so it's external), perhaps this could be useful contribution to MiSTer?
That is a really interesting idea. I'm running MiSTer through a surround decoder that simulates two speakers, which makes it more pleasant to listen to with headphones.
matthewpont

Unread post by matthewpont »

Amazing news!
jotego
Core Developer

Unread post by jotego »

MostroW wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:13 pm
Just out of curiosity Jotego, what is considered a high price and were those schematics not something that could be potentially stumbled upon the internet?
Or did you purchase those schematics because they were authentic / original and therefore valuable to you?

I think I paid $50 for the schematics. I could not find them online. Most times I buy arcade manuals, I don't get any schematics. The sellers don't usually tell you if there are schematics or not, even if you ask. That has been frustrating.

Original manuals are often better than scans, but often impossible to find.
Open IP for many chips in my github account
RBF files for my MiSTer cores in jtbin
Support new IP and core development here
MostroW

Unread post by MostroW »

Thank you and good to know, maybe for the people who have access to these kind of manuals and willing to provide them or high resolution scans to people like Jotego to help them out?

There's not many arcade operators left here, so i'll doubt i will run into these anytime soon.
retrorepair

Unread post by retrorepair »

I'm very lucky we have similar tastes :)
miaou

Unread post by miaou »

I am praying for Bad Dudes vs Dragon Ninja and Sly Spy :)

Oh and on a side note I am dreaming of R-Type and Cabal.
allegrosurf

Unread post by allegrosurf »

Yes cabal
catenaccio

Unread post by catenaccio »

Shinobi also would be nice
XtraSmiley

Unread post by XtraSmiley »

catenaccio wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:19 pm Shinobi also would be nice
A dev is working on a System 16 core, of which Shinobi (and many other cool games) are a part of!

I guess if you can't wait though....

https://twitter.com/topapate/status/1378019959679377420
Alkadian
Top Contributor

Unread post by Alkadian »

That's simply awesome news indeed!