ZX Spectrum Next Port to MiSTer

Sorgelig
Site Admin

Re: ZX Spectrum Next Initial Port to MiSTer

Unread post by Sorgelig »

Why you need tzx support in this core? ZX Spectrum core is much more advanced and has tzx support.
antonie

Unread post by antonie »

I agree with @sorgelig's sentiment. I own both a MiSTer and ZX Spectrum Next (Accelerated with Pi). Even on the physical hardware I really don't have a need for tzx support since I use the ZXNext for ZXNext apps.
pgimeno
Top Contributor

Unread post by pgimeno »

Sorgelig wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:39 am Why you need tzx support in this core? ZX Spectrum core is much more advanced and has tzx support.
I have a directory of games in a variety of formats. I would need to seek all TZX files in that directory and convert them to TAP or take snapshots, and that's an arduous task.

The ZX Next core is kind of a "one-stop shop" for me. I plan on buying a Next sometime, and I'd like to get used to it. Compatibility is good, and I can also run Next-only software. Yes, I know I still have the ZX Spectrum core as a fallback; but its TZX support is not great, and I have to switch to another core. I know that if TZX support is added with a hack, rather than with an emulated Pi, it will probably be the same not-so-good one as in the Spectrum core.
Sorgelig
Site Admin

Almost all games are already converted to TRD/SCL format, so none of conversion and none of waiting time is required.
Btw, if specific TZX can be converted to TAP, then this TZX should be well supported in ZX Spectrum core. TZX compatibility is quite high in current implementation.
Chris23235
Top Contributor

Unread post by Chris23235 »

pgimeno wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:28 pm
Sorgelig wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:39 am Why you need tzx support in this core? ZX Spectrum core is much more advanced and has tzx support.
I have a directory of games in a variety of formats. I would need to seek all TZX files in that directory and convert them to TAP or take snapshots, and that's an arduous task.

The ZX Next core is kind of a "one-stop shop" for me. I plan on buying a Next sometime, and I'd like to get used to it. Compatibility is good, and I can also run Next-only software. Yes, I know I still have the ZX Spectrum core as a fallback; but its TZX support is not great, and I have to switch to another core. I know that if TZX support is added with a hack, rather than with an emulated Pi, it will probably be the same not-so-good one as in the Spectrum core.
The TZX support on the Next is not good, it doesn't allow you to stop the Playback, which necessary for many games that load the levels individually.
Right now I tend to use the Next (I have a N-Go board) for Next only stuff as the ZX Spectrum part is not as refined as on the MiST or MiSTer. E.g. I just tried Uridium Plus on the Next and over HDMI certain effects don't work in the Next because the HDMI output is not cycle exact.

I am sure this can be changed in the future but I think the team has more interest in getting bugs in the actual Next mode ironed out first (understandable), so the 48/128 modes will not be as exact as on the MiSTer or MiST for a while.
lordoftime79

Unread post by lordoftime79 »

The Next team do say that HDMI shouldnt be used for exact timming stuff - this is why on my next I have VGA connected instead other than that the Spectrum part of the Next is brilliant, other than like you say the TZX issue.
tonywatto

Unread post by tonywatto »

TZX files are now supported in the core, as per Sorgelig's latest update.
Chris23235
Top Contributor

lordoftime79 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:01 am The Next team do say that HDMI shouldnt be used for exact timming stuff - this is why on my next I have VGA connected instead other than that the Spectrum part of the Next is brilliant, other than like you say the TZX issue.
I find this a bummer, I don't see why HDMI isn't cycle exact, it works flawless on the MiSTer.
Fallon

Unread post by Fallon »

There seems to have some kind of scrolling jerkiness/ judder on MiSTer's ZX Next during some games. This problem seems to be present in both Scramble, and Warhawk Demo. This is not present running Scramble via the ZX Spectrum Next CSPECT emulator. I haven't had the chance to test Warhawk in CSPECT.

It'd be interesting to see how these games perform on a real ZX Next compared to MiSTer.

Scramble:
https://www.rustypixels.uk/?page_id=34
NML32

Unread post by NML32 »

Fallon wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:44 pm There seems to have some kind of scrolling jerkiness/ judder on MiSTer's ZX Next during some games. This problem seems to be present in both Scramble, and Warhawk Demo. This is not present running Scramble via the ZX Spectrum Next CSPECT emulator. I haven't had the chance to test Warhawk in CSPECT.

It'd be interesting to see how these games perform on a real ZX Next compared to MiSTer.

Scramble:
https://www.rustypixels.uk/?page_id=34
Recorded from my ZX Next real hardware.
Scramble - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAu5jsKOhZc
Warhawk v101 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvU7fCUkBkI Skip to 2:58 for gameplay.
Warhawk demo - https://youtu.be/2HhGNNP3JMY
Fallon

Unread post by Fallon »

NML32 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:07 pm
Recorded from my ZX Next real hardware.
Scramble - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAu5jsKOhZc
Warhawk v101 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvU7fCUkBkI Skip to 2:58 for gameplay.
Warhawk demo - https://youtu.be/2HhGNNP3JMY
Thanks - it's hard to tell from the videos, but I think it looks like the scrolling is more consistent than MiSTer ZX Next.

I guess you have MiSTer Next, do you think there is a visible difference?
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

lordoftime79 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:55 pm How do I make the screen scale propperly - on my actual next it fills my DELL nicely but I cant seem to make the Mister next core do the same and its the only thing stopping me from enjoying it right now.
Did you manage to sort this out? Sounds like you're also using VGA monitor. Full Screen fills the screen, but the scaling is a bit off. I'm using Direct Video with a PC CRT monitor.

Also, when I first booted, there was a TV test pattern with some 50/60Hz options to choose. Anybody knows how to get back to it?
Chris23235
Top Contributor

akeley wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:23 pm
lordoftime79 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:55 pm How do I make the screen scale propperly - on my actual next it fills my DELL nicely but I cant seem to make the Mister next core do the same and its the only thing stopping me from enjoying it right now.
Did you manage to sort this out? Sounds like you're also using VGA monitor. Full Screen fills the screen, but the scaling is a bit off. I'm using Direct Video with a PC CRT monitor.

Also, when I first booted, there was a TV test pattern with some 50/60Hz options to choose. Anybody knows how to get back to it?
While doing a cold reset of the machine hold down the following button:

D for Digital
V for VGA
R for RGB
or
A to cycle all video modes.

The manual for the Next is freely available here:
https://www.specnext.com/zx-spectrum-ne ... t-edition/

It is a fantastic manual. It has lots of background info about the development of the machine, it has a chapter about Rick Dickinson, it covers the hardware and it even includes a programming course. It is on par with the computer manuals of the old days.
TheBonePony

Unread post by TheBonePony »

Okay, first all I do NOT have a secondary SDCard on my MISTer. If that's the issue, I figure get that out the way so you can go "Yep, you're screwed".

Been fiddling for a week. I try the boot.vhd from the github and I just get a black screen for a while then "error saving configuration".

What's weird is the prior 04/04 build, I had a VHD I grabbed from elsewhere, and THAT booted just fine. The problem was I can't mount it in anything to add files to it. (Said VHD no longer works with the new build.)

I'm at a total loss and tearing my hair out, and I don't have much to start with...
pgimeno
Top Contributor

Unread post by pgimeno »

TheBonePony wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:06 am Been fiddling for a week. I try the boot.vhd from the github and I just get a black screen for a while then "error saving configuration".
There was a problem with one of the releases, that caused write errors. It was solved in a new release. Maybe you have not updated to the latest?
TheBonePony

Unread post by TheBonePony »

pgimeno wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:15 am
TheBonePony wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:06 am Been fiddling for a week. I try the boot.vhd from the github and I just get a black screen for a while then "error saving configuration".
There was a problem with one of the releases, that caused write errors. It was solved in a new release. Maybe you have not updated to the latest?
Definitely on the latest one available at the time I posted. Have the latest VHD too.

Edit: I fixed it. Occurred to me that maybe deleting the config file that was saved would fix it... Yep. Deleted that, loaded the exact same thing I did yesterday, works fine now. YES! I am very happy.
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

Chris23235 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:37 pm While doing a cold reset of the machine hold down the following button:

D for Digital
V for VGA
R for RGB
or
A to cycle all video modes.
It didn't work for me at the time of posting, but does now, not sure why... In any case, the scaling is actually fine (on my CRT TV), in both 50/60Hz modes. I suggested myself it might be flawed by the oddly-looking fonts in the Next's initial screens, but after comparing with the real thing I can see they're the same, so it's all good.

I've been testing it a bit for the last few days and it all seems to be working fine. The extra vhd slot adds flexibility and it's easy to make little vhd's now and transfer stuff from PC this way. Big thanks to Sorgelig for sorting this core out, so we can use it on MiSTer without the need for extra add-ons, or buying other boards.

Here are a few more free games (they were paid-for before)

https://softamuse.itch.io/montanamike
https://softamuse.itch.io/bubblegumbros
https://softamuse.itch.io/dweebsdrop
https://softamuse.itch.io/dungeonette
EeDee

Unread post by EeDee »

Since revision 20210409 I've had no success booting from .vhd (Secondary SD works fine) just get "Error mounting SD card"
I decided on a clean install of Mister and to download a fresh RBF and boot.vhd on a different SD card but now I get "Error saving configuration"
I don't get it!
pgimeno
Top Contributor

Re: ZX Spectrum Next Port to MiSTer

Unread post by pgimeno »

Are you sure the fresh RBF is the 20210409 and not the 20210407? I got that error with the 07 version.
EeDee

Unread post by EeDee »

Yes it's definitely 09. This latest iteration is the only one I've encountered a problem with
caffeinekid

Unread post by caffeinekid »

Has anyone else had this graphical glitch on the ZX Next core? It seems to appear when the MiSTer ini is set up for 5x crop scaling, but vertical crop isn't activated on the Next core.

If you change the vertical crop to "216" then it is fixed, but still present on "270".

Obviously the core still works but the corruption in the screen and colours was worrying - at first I thought my files or sd card had become corrupted.
183872049_10158715182568411_7138214182064663413_n[1].jpg
183872049_10158715182568411_7138214182064663413_n[1].jpg (50.84 KiB) Viewed 12235 times
Sorgelig
Site Admin

I don't see such issue on my MiSTer.
May be it's related to some specific setup.
Or it may be general core instability. Original ZX Next core code is pretty much mess of clocks making it hard to work smoothly..
OriginalXOR

Unread post by OriginalXOR »

For those who enjoy the old Magnetic Scrolls games, Strand Games has just converted the 16bit classic Wonderland to the Spectrum Next.

You can find the build here: https://gitlab.com/strandgames/brahman/ ... nder/build

Also the rest of their conversions of the Magnetic Scrolls classics can be found here:
https://gitlab.com/strandgames/brahman/ ... etic/games

They include the following games:
The Pawn ; Guild of Thieves ; Jinxter ; Corruption ; Fish ; Myth ; Wonderland
Moondandy
Top Contributor

Unread post by Moondandy »

Do you know if it was difficult to port from Spectrum to Next? A friend of mine made a game for Spectrum a few years back.
Chris23235
Top Contributor

Moondandy wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:48 pm Do you know if it was difficult to port from Spectrum to Next? A friend of mine made a game for Spectrum a few years back.
ZX Spectrum games run natively on the Next, there is no need to port them in any way.

With the Magnetic Scrolls compilation it is a port of the MAGNETIC interpreter an open source interpreter for the Magnetic Scrolls Adventures. The games themself are enhanced over the original Spectrum games from back in the day they now have graphics and sound.
danielb
Core Developer

Unread post by danielb »

Hi all,

I can't get the Spectrum Next core to recognise the fire button of my joystick.

It seems to work OK on other cores.

Anyone else had this problem?

Thanks,

D.
danielb
Core Developer

Unread post by danielb »

Hi again,

I thought I should add some more detail about the joystick button problem.

I have two controllers connected to my Mister: a Monster Joystick with a 9-pin connector, connected via a 9-pin to USB adaptor, and a generic Logitech controller pad.

With the Next set to Left joystick = MD1, the controller pad works perfectly.

However, with Left joystick = kemps1, the Monster Joystick is recognised and the stick itself works, but the fire button does not. It does work in all other cores, so there does not seem to be a hardware problem.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Thanks,

Daniel

EDIT: I seem to get the same results however the system joystick settings are set. Joypad works perfectly, Monster Joystick fire button not recognised. "Swap joysticks" swaps between the two of them. Really not sure what's going on...
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

It's an unusual combination. If you don't hear from anybody you can try posting it as an issue on github.
danielb
Core Developer

Unread post by danielb »

I fixed it :) It appears that the Mister joystick mapping in the Spectrum Next core is different to that in the other cores. Using "Define ZX Next Buttons" in the OSD menu, I mapped it so that button "A" is the fire button, and this now works. All other buttons can be ignored, using the space bar.

D.

EDIT: This seems to be a partial work-around. While it fixes actual Next games, like Warhawk, it does not fix original Spectrum games, e.g. Uridium or Crystal Kingdom Dizzy.
It seems the core expects a joypad and will not work properly with an old-fashioned joystick.
I'll report this as a bug.

D.
Insert Disk Two

Unread post by Insert Disk Two »

I am having the exact problem with joystick as described up here :(