Zapper, LLAPI, lcdmod?

mdfverona

Zapper, LLAPI, lcdmod?

Unread post by mdfverona »

I’ve got one of the cheap Tomee zappers for NES, a blisster, and a low lag OLED tv. Should the lcdmod versions work with this setup on the mister LLAPI nes cores? I haven’t had any luck but I’ve never tried the lcdmod with real hardware either so maybe I’m doing it wrong.
Televicious

Re: Zapper, LLAPI, lcdmod?

Unread post by Televicious »

Oh weird, I just posted a similar thread. I don't think the zapper can work with LCD in any mode because they are progressive scan. Some guy made a wiimote type of gun, but that's completely different. Did you get the MiSTer to recognize the zapper as a controller?
mdfverona

Wow jinx!

If you search through the bliss box discord there is a ton of light gun talk, including about the exact Tomee $5 zapper I got. It looks like the internals will work with a lcd modded rom but it’s reporting as an intellivision controller not a zapper to the blisster right now. I asked if it would be supported soon.

Alternative looks like you can swap the diode from the Tomee into a real NES zapper.
Televicious

Ok, yea using tomee usb adapter. I just have usb hub though. I found a usb snac that will hopefully get it working. Never knew about LCD ROMS, will have to give that a try too. Let ya know when the snac arrives. Really hoping there is some way to use one light gun with multiple cores like sega cd rail shooters and nes.
darksakul

Unread post by darksakul »

Yeah I got the Tomee working with my Frontloader NES and my HDMI Sony Bravia TV.
It is my great regret that we live in an age that is proud of machines that think and suspicious of people who try to.
mdfverona

I saw a new firmware with zapper updates in the discord yesterday, will check it out today but maybe we’ve got something!

Also saw that original nes zappers are pretty cheap on eBay, you could scoop the Tomee guts into one if blisster keeps not detecting the Tomee but does detect the nes orig.
Televicious

I got my SNAC usb and it works perfect on a CRT, but tried that LCD rom hack and all sorts of delay settings, I think LCD's are still to dim to be detected by the NES light gun. Would have to actually modify the gun. I'll stick with CRT's. is your sony super bright? I tried on my pixio px7 with hdr mode and it's still too dim.
Sigismond0

Unread post by Sigismond0 »

Yeah, I've never had luck on a LCD with a OEM light gun. The Tomee one works just fine though.
darksakul

Unread post by darksakul »

mdfverona wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 1:25 am I’ve got one of the cheap Tomee zappers for NES, a blisster, and a low lag OLED tv. Should the lcdmod versions work with this setup on the mister LLAPI nes cores? I haven’t had any luck but I’ve never tried the lcdmod with real hardware either so maybe I’m doing it wrong.
I done the same thing with a Real NES, a Tomee Zapper and a older Sony Bravia HD TV (LCD screen) and it works for me.
I am not sure this will work with OLED or not, but I got it to work with LED lit LCD screens.

It could work, but you also need to have patched Roms for this to work.
The Roms needed to be patch for the adjusted timings the light gun needs, Blisster and LLAPI can only account for so much.
Most of the Lightgun patches have a setting to adjust the lightgun delay in game to adjust to your model LCD screen.
It is my great regret that we live in an age that is proud of machines that think and suspicious of people who try to.
Sigismond0

Unread post by Sigismond0 »

darksakul wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:40 pmare either so maybe I’m doing it wrong.
I done the same thing with a Real NES, a Tomee Zapper and a older Sony Bravia HD TV (LCD screen) and it works for me.
I am not sure this will work with OLED or not, but I got it to work with LED lit LCD screens.

It could work, but you also need to have patched Roms for this to work.
The Roms needed to be patch for the adjusted timings the light gun needs, Blisster and LLAPI can only account for so much.
Most of the Lightgun patches have a setting to adjust the lightgun delay in game to adjust to your model LCD screen.
[/quote]

Also works fine on my Samsung plasma, for whatever that's worth.

I'd expect BLISSter/SNAC, or even high speed USB polling to be more than enough for LCDmod to work on MiSTer. The patch can compensate for 5+ frames of lag, IIRC, so 1ms here or there isn't going to be meaningfully impactful.