Gauntlet, Gauntlet II and Vindicators II

cacophony

Gauntlet, Gauntlet II and Vindicators II

Unread post by cacophony »

Alex (d18c7db) has a mostly complete FPGA implementation of Gauntlet, Gauntlet II and Vindicators II:
https://github.com/d18c7db/Gauntlet_FPGA

I don't know how easily this would port to MiSTer but wanted to bring up the potential porting opportunity.
alanswx
Core Developer

Re: Gauntlet, Gauntlet II and Vindicators II

Unread post by alanswx »

I haven't gotten it working yet. Let me know if you want to work on it, I have some progress, but I can't get it booting.
ElectronAsh

Unread post by ElectronAsh »

Hi, all.

This is great news, as I always loved Gauntlet.

I might start posting in this forum more often, to keep up with what's going on it MiSTer land, and to catch up with Sorg.
jotego
Core Developer

Unread post by jotego »

That's good news. Yet another core copying around JT51 files instead of using git submodules. Please stay tuned to changes in JT51 repository as there are a couple of things I have to finish on it.
Open IP for many chips in my github account
RBF files for my MiSTer cores in jtbin
Support new IP and core development here
mmmonkey

Unread post by mmmonkey »

Bits n Stuff wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 1:36 am The two gauntlet cores in partcular would be prett mazing to see at some point if possible.
Would 4 player actually be possible on MiSTer?
Up to 6 if using USB I believe - https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_Mi ... assignment
Hodor

Unread post by Hodor »

At the moment it seems that things like speech synth don´t work and the audio mixing needs improvement. However, maybe they can be fixed in the future. I´d love a perfect replica of Gauntlet.
Shaneus

Unread post by Shaneus »

Not wanting to sound like I'm port begging, but it looks like these utilise similar hardware to the Atari System 1 which included Marble Madness and Road Blasters. Would I be far off in saying if Gauntlet etc. are working, these others are too?
limi
Top Contributor

Unread post by limi »

…and System 2 seems very similar, although it had medium-resolution output (512×384). It has some of the most iconic (IMO) arcade games: APB, Super Sprint, Paperboy, 720° — would be a fantastic core to have for MiSTer.
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

I'd love to have this core on MiSTer, I've played a lot of RoadBlasters and APB on the Lynx, the other games are great as well.
mmmonkey

Unread post by mmmonkey »

Oh man, I'd forgotten about APB!
Hodor

Unread post by Hodor »

There are several amazing Atari games that deserve a FPGA replica. I wonder if there is enough documentation to make this happen, though.
d18c7db
Core Developer

Unread post by d18c7db »

alanswx wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 10:10 pm I haven't gotten it working yet. Let me know if you want to work on it, I have some progress, but I can't get it booting.
The only Xilinx specific entity left in my code was the PLL for clock generation, so assuming you managed to replace that with an Altera equivalent and respect the clock phases, my next suggestion would be to use the simulator and ensure the 68K is executing instructions from ROM, including jumps to and returns from subroutine which verifies correct stack operation (read/write to RAM). That would be a big step forward to getting it running I think.
jotego wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 5:51 am That's good news. Yet another core copying around JT51 files instead of using git submodules.
Hey Jose ;) I did think about using submodules but first off my Windows based GIT desktop doesn't seem to support them, secondly I wasn't sure if the submodule points to a specific revision in time (what if you make future changes to your code that breaks backward compatibility) and lastly
"Advice on using submodules (or not)"
Shaneus wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 11:31 am Not wanting to sound like I'm port begging, but it looks like these utilise similar hardware to the Atari System 1 which included Marble Madness and Road Blasters. Would I be far off in saying if Gauntlet etc. are working, these others are too?
https://github.com/d18c7db/atari_system1_fpga is a start I've made, the video section is fully debugged and functional, the only cartridge implemented so far is Indiana, the main CPU section is executing corrrectly, audio is sort of mostly complete but not finished. In simulation, this runs successfully to game initial screen so i believe if I was to run it on an FPGA it would 90% work, but I haven't tested it on hardware yet.
Shaneus

Unread post by Shaneus »

Woah, that's impressive progress so far! Wonderful to read :)