Speedball EU - Corrupt [Solved]

zorrobandito

Speedball EU - Corrupt [Solved]

Unread post by zorrobandito »

I've tried a couple of rom files but this game corrupts from the title screen. It launches into a demo game faster than it should too and the game runs at an appalling and unplayable framerate. I've tried the same rom on Fusion 3.6.1 and it runs perfectly. Strangely Speedball 2 and all other MS games I tried seem to run well.

Can someone else confirm before I log it on github (it's not mentioned there).

Rom: Speedball (Europe) (Rev 1).sms
KnC

Re: Speedball EU - Corrupt

Unread post by KnC »

it works if you disable bios and you also need to set video to pal if you want it to play like pal
zorrobandito

Re: Speedball EU - Corrupt [Solved]

Unread post by zorrobandito »

That worked well, thanks KnC. Is that documented anywhere I should have checked?
Chris23235
Top Contributor

Re: Speedball EU - Corrupt [Solved]

Unread post by Chris23235 »

The reason for this is the implementation if the BIOS in the core, see this thread for a more detailed explanation:

viewtopic.php?t=374

If a game on the SMS cores doesn't run or acts strange disabling the BIOS is most often the way to fix it. The overall compability of the core is very high.
You have to set the video format as well in this core, because most western roms where US/EU and you will have to tell the core if you want to play the game in PAL or NTSC. This is rather uncommon, most other consoles had different Roms for NTSC and PAL regions.