Gyruss in the main...

lamarax
Top Contributor

Gyruss in the main...

Unread post by lamarax »

...at last!

@Ace does a wonderful job (as he did with Time Pilot '84), but the core still needs a lot of work.

Unfortunately, today's update took over the 'unofficial' core by MiSTer-X which had flaws, but was playable.

Here's to you @Ace 🍻, hoping that you'd be able to iron the quirks out.
Ace
Core Developer

Re: Gyruss in the main...

Unread post by Ace »

Thank you, although I must ask: where does Gyruss need work? I know the AY-3-8910 volume scale needs to be checked again, but where else is the core acting weird? If you can get specifics, I'll have a look.

EDIT: Forgot to mention - the updated core will NOT work with MrX-8B's original MRAs. You must use the updated MRAs (though I've been told the alternative MRAs aren't being downloaded when the updater is run).
Arcade core dev. for MiSTer.
Complete: Arkanoid, Time Pilot '84, Iron Horse, Jackal, Jailbreak (collab with Blackwine), Scooter Shooter, Finalizer - Super Transformation
In progress: none
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

My bad, the problem (getting garbled sprites) was indeed that Gyruss symlinks were pointing to the old MrX .mras. So I deleted those, cleared the _Organized folders, run the arcade-organizer script again, and now everything's fine!

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction <3

PS: The alternative .mras are now correctly downloaded.
Aspie

Unread post by Aspie »

So do I just delete the old alternative mras and then run the update script again and it will fix it?
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

Aspie wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:59 pm So do I just delete the old alternative mras and then run the update script again and it will fix it?
Delete the .mras related to the old core inside _Unofficial. There's also one lingering directly under _Arcade, called Venus (bootleg).mra or something.

There was no _Alternatives folder corresponding to the old core, so leave these be; they're the new ones (you can check by timestamp). Then, delete the whole _Organized folder, as well as these two files from:

Code: Select all

media/fat/Scripts/.cache/arcade-organizer/last_run
media/fat/Scripts/.cache/arcade-organizer/orgdir-folders
...run update_all again, and you're good to go.
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

After doing this clean up I do not see the zip roms for the alternatives: missing gyrussce, gyrussb and venus. I deleted the last_run files from the cache of mame getter and hbmame getter but it did not help.
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

jca wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:49 pm After doing this clean up I do not see the zip roms for the alternatives: missing gyrussce, gyrussb and venus. I deleted the last_run files from the cache of mame getter and hbmame getter but it did not help.
How do you mean? 🤔 There's only one (merged) rom needed, called gyruss.zip. That's in games/mame so no clean up should interfere :?:
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

I just figured it out. Thanks anyway.
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

Another grave issue: I keep trying to play this as if it's Tempest.

Please fix (my brain) :P
Aspie

Unread post by Aspie »

Thanks lamarax, I followed your instructions and it's all working fine now
Aspie

Unread post by Aspie »

Do you think a clean up like this would fix the broken Crazy Kong versions. They haven't worked for about a month now. The main is fine but most of the alternatives don't work. Or is this a different issue altogether?
mattsoft

Unread post by mattsoft »

Thanks for the core Ace, it works perfect! I had never played the arcade version -- only console ports -- so I'm looking forward to putting some time on this one.
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

Aspie wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:59 pm Do you think a clean up like this would fix the broken Crazy Kong versions. They haven't worked for about a month now. The main is fine but most of the alternatives don't work. Or is this a different issue altogether?
I recently deleted my _Arcade folder and force resynced it with update_all, which cleaned things up nicely. All the Crazy Kong II alternatives are not working here, just giving a black screen. That could be a ROM problem though, I didn't resync that.
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

Aspie wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:59 pm Do you think a clean up like this would fix the broken Crazy Kong versions. They haven't worked for about a month now. The main is fine but most of the alternatives don't work. Or is this a different issue altogether?
Yes well, a clean up of the sort is advised whenever you make additions (or deletions) by hand.

I've figured out to do what I wrote above because I've had similar problems before with the DoDonpachi beta core which I used to update manually, and I frequently came about the 'bad rom' issue, so I've learned my lesson ;)

To reiterate: if you come about a black screen with a core, or a scrambled one while everyone else seems to be enjoying no problem, check your symlinks!
Aspie

Unread post by Aspie »

The thing is I haven't made any additions or deletions by hand. I just run the update all script once a week.
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

Aspie wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:20 pm The thing is I haven't made any additions or deletions by hand. I just run the update all script once a week.
Yes of course; the particular issue was caused by the old .mras which were originally downloaded by the unofficial updater segment of the update_all script, and were still present on your SD when the switch to main was made.

I was talking in a general manner; if one finds that a rom doesn't load while it should, first thing you'd want to check is that there isn't an invalid symlink pointing to nowhere :)
Aspie

Unread post by Aspie »

Ok thanks.

So if I delete all the mras that aren't working and then run the update all again it should fix it?
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

Aspie wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:00 pm So if I delete all the mras that aren't working and then run the update all again it should fix it?
😱 No! Don't ever do that! Just delete the _Organized folder (which contains the symlinks) + the cached files I posted above.

If you're positive that some particular .mras are deprecated (such as in the Gyruss case), then sure go ahead and delete them, as long as you prevent the updater from downloading them anew.
Aspie

Unread post by Aspie »

Just tried it and it hasn't worked. The 5 versions of Crazy Kong in the main arcade section work fine. The other versions in the Alternatives section still just give black screens although something is actually running because if I press a button on my joypad it makes a sound.