How do abandoned cores get bugs fixed?

Discussion of developmental aspects of the MiSTer Project.
80sArcadeKid

How do abandoned cores get bugs fixed?

Unread post by 80sArcadeKid »

Hello, I'm not trying to ruffle features here just wondering how cores that are no longer being worked on get bugs fixed when the original developer abandons the core for a new core? I assume a new developer has to take up the reigns or the original developer goes back to it base don their priorities for new cores.

For example, another person and myself logged a bug on the Rygar core in in GitHub in February, and I'm pretty sure the Donkey Kong weird sound issue has been present since it's release. (compare to videos orf original PCB, 60-1 or MAME sounds).

I gather the intention of all cores is to eventually be identical to original PCB's (as closely as possible). It's just a shame to get them so far along then they get abandoned at 'good enough'. Then again I appreciate all the new cores. What a wonderful problem to have! :D
rhester72
Top Contributor

Re: How do abandoned cores get bugs fixed?

Unread post by rhester72 »

...or some random person with knowledge of the problem and the required skills fixes it, as all of the published cores are also open-source. It's more random and/or developer-scratching-an-itch driven than user-driven.
dshadoff
Core Developer

Unread post by dshadoff »

Also, many cores on this system originate from elsewhere, and were ported here.
In those cases, the people who ported them may not be familiar enough with the deep internals to perform "open heart surgery".
grizzly

Unread post by grizzly »

They go or sit near a Image :D
darksakul

Unread post by darksakul »

I am not aware of any official cores being abandoned.
Currently not being worked on sure, development on extended hiatus, sure. But I can't think of a Single Console, Micro Computer or Arcade Core that didn't get an update in the last 2 years.
Most of the official cores even if the original author left the project left behind documentation, many of those cores are ported from other FPGA Cores or Low Level Emulators (they do the same thing, simulate hardware) which are also well documented. Most of the more mature cores also have the original hardware well documented.
It is my great regret that we live in an age that is proud of machines that think and suspicious of people who try to.