Atari ST on the MiSTer just 'feels better' than software emulators

cathrynmataga

Atari ST on the MiSTer just 'feels better' than software emulators

Unread post by cathrynmataga »

Have just gotten this working, and it does just 'feel better' somehow compared to software emulators in some way that's hard to describe exactly. Games are working, looks like the serial/modem is working. b/w mode is interesting, I never had a monochrome monitor back in the day. Have tried both EmuTos and stock OS and fiddled with various ST models.

Do I need a driver to get the viking modes working? (Though they don't seem super useful in Hatari, what I see so far.) I guess there's no way to print, right?
annette

Re: Atari ST on the MiSTer just 'feels better' than software emulators

Unread post by annette »

Sorry can't help with the viking modes, but if you are really your forum name a big thanks for Shamus from me loved it so much back in the day on my atari, thanks you.
cathrynmataga

Unread post by cathrynmataga »

Yup, thanks, that's me.
limi
Top Contributor

Unread post by limi »

I played Shamus: Case II a lot on the C64 back in the day. Thank you for a great game!
MiSTer_Kirk

Unread post by MiSTer_Kirk »

I thought Shamus was written by William Mataga ?
Still, both games were great games on the 8-bit Atari, as were most Synapse games like Alley Cat, Drelbs, Encounter, Blue Max games, etc... Great times.
kathleen
Top Contributor

Unread post by kathleen »

cathrynmataga wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:55 pm Have just gotten this working, and it does just 'feel better' somehow compared to software emulators in some way that's hard to describe exactly. Games are working, looks like the serial/modem is working. b/w mode is interesting, I never had a monochrome monitor back in the day. Have tried both EmuTos and stock OS and fiddled with various ST models.

Do I need a driver to get the viking modes working? (Though they don't seem super useful in Hatari, what I see so far.) I guess there's no way to print, right?
I've not tried yet the Viking (I'd like to but need to find some time to do so :-) Anyway, not much programs work with it and to me a driver is mandatory to get it working, this one should be the one (among others) : https://mega.nz/file/MPRmBbRD#7GP2WWbKX ... Tu8T97ujl0

かすりん

RealLarry
Top Contributor

Unread post by RealLarry »

cathrynmataga wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:55 pmDo I need a driver to get the viking modes working? (Though they don't seem super useful in Hatari, what I see so far.) I guess there's no way to print, right?
Just use MiST's video driver: https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-boar ... ist_vhi.st from the AUTO folder and you're set.
Contributor of tty2oled, author of tty2tft, tty2rpi and update_tty2xxx
Chris23235
Top Contributor

Unread post by Chris23235 »

I loved Shamus und Shamus Case II because both were so different. It was a great time when sequels were about new ideas and not about rehashing the past. Thanks for these games. Can still hum the title music :D
Chris23235
Top Contributor

Unread post by Chris23235 »

By the way, if you never had a monochrome monitor on your ST, make sure to check out Esprit. It is one of the most fun games you will find on the ST and it is monochrome only.