Descent 2 have music?

Captain FPGA

Descent 2 have music?

Unread post by Captain FPGA »

I noticed when playing the game, with the exception of the intros it's silent. However, when watching videos of it running on more powerful emulation platforms and original hardware there's bg music.

Does the core for this game support bgm and if so would it require an external device to do so?
Dreams don't die!
zakk4223

Re: Descent 2 have music?

Unread post by zakk4223 »

I assume that's because the background music is CD Audio and the ao486 core doesn't currently handle that.
sid

Unread post by sid »

zakk4223 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:13 pm I assume that's because the background music is CD Audio and the ao486 core doesn't currently handle that.
Games like Mechwarrior 2 or Shadow Warrior would also need support for CD Audio. I remember it was necessary to connect an extra cable from CD Drive to Mainboard on a real PC to support that. Do you know if this feature is planned in the future?
Captain FPGA

sid wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:58 pm
zakk4223 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:13 pm I assume that's because the background music is CD Audio and the ao486 core doesn't currently handle that.
Games like Mechwarrior 2 or Shadow Warrior would also need support for CD Audio. I remember it was necessary to connect an extra cable from CD Drive to Mainboard on a real PC to support that. Do you know if this feature is planned in the future?
The more I realize the misters limitations, the closer I am to just emulating this machine on an Xbox or dosbox pc. The only thing stopping me is I'm not aware that the original xbox has a keyboard. I believe dosbox asks for a virtual os. Had rocky experience with those
Dreams don't die!
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

Captain FPGA wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:05 pm I believe dosbox asks for a virtual os. Had rocky experience with those
It doesn't really, but in any case you can just get eXoDOS for PC, which is a ready-to-play collection, or use D-Fend Reloaded where you can tweak everything using GUI (even drag and drop games). Games from GOG also come set up as click-and-play packages.
Larkhainan

Unread post by Larkhainan »

Descent 2 has a source port, that might be your best option
Captain FPGA

akeley wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:31 pm
Captain FPGA wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:05 pm I believe dosbox asks for a virtual os. Had rocky experience with those
It doesn't really, but in any case you can just get eXoDOS for PC, which is a ready-to-play collection, or use D-Fend Reloaded where you can tweak everything using GUI (even drag and drop games). Games from GOG also come set up as click-and-play packages.
I'll look into those.
Dreams don't die!