Akumajō Dracula "Castlevania" backup is not done in the game.

Tempus01

Akumajō Dracula "Castlevania" backup is not done in the game.

Unread post by Tempus01 »

In Akumajō Dracula the backup seems to be done well, but each time the core is restarted the backup is erased. Someone managed to save their progress.
Thank you
puu
Core Developer

Re: Akumajō Dracula "Castlevania" backup is not done in the game.

Unread post by puu »

Is it a PC88 version of the game?
When DiskEmulator writes to FDD, it initially writes only to SDRAM. After that, when the spindle is turned off, the eject, the disc image is switched, etc., writing back to the image is performed.
PC88 is equipped with 5.25" FDD, and I think it depends on the BIOS version and software, but the disk head is usually in a floating state, so the media will not be worn without stopping the spindle. It is often the case that the motor is not stopped even after finishing.The version such as DE0 is designed on the assumption that 3.5" FDD is connected, and 3.5" FDD is a medium when the spindle is rotating because the head is always in contact. Therefore, a function that automatically stops if there is no disk access for a certain period is added, and if this is enabled, the spindle will be turned off, so after writing to the disk, at this timing It will automatically write back to the disk image.
There is an item called Disk motor save in the OSD settings, so enable this item.
Tempus01

It's on the X68000 with HDF and SRAM of 12MB. Thank you
puu
Core Developer

Unread post by puu »

If it's a save to a floppy, the X68000 also writes the save to the floppy back to a file under the condition that the spindle is stopped. Since the BIOS of the X68000 controls the spindle, it is normal to wait for 3 seconds after saving and start writing back.
(Displayed with a red progress gauge on the disk emulator screen)
Tempus01

@puu : Thank you for this clarification, I will test this evening if I can record my progress in the game on D88 floppy disk.
2Dcomplexity

Unread post by 2Dcomplexity »

Tempus01 wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:27 pm @puu : Thank you for this clarification, I will test this evening if I can record my progress in the game on D88 floppy disk.
Did you ever figure this out? I have an HDF from the starter pack on archive.org and it contains three save games from other people, but after deleting them and creating my own 'profile' I have no idea how to save it.

Edit: I'm an idiot. Saving works fine, it's just done at very specific parts of the game, and you're given the option to save at the continue screen.