DVI and sound no IO board

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
nizce

DVI and sound no IO board

Unread post by nizce »

Hi!

If I where to connect my mister to a monitor with only DVI input, am I able to get sound somehow without the IO board?
I was thinking of getting a HDMI -> DVI converter which also has a 3.5mm headphonejack and toslink.

I thought I should work, but then I looked in the mister.ini file and saw a option called dvi_mode. The comment in the file states that sound is not supported if set to 1.
No other explanation what the dvi_mode actually does, but I can only guess it's _needed_ to get a DVI planel working(which would mean an IO board is required :()?
AngelicLiver

Re: DVI and sound no IO board

Unread post by AngelicLiver »

If the converter extracts HDMI audio then it should be fine with "dvi_mode = 0". I'm pretty sure the purpose of dvi_mode is to just disable HDMI audio out as DVI does not have audio pins on the connector.

If you're potentially spending $20-30 you're probably just better off just getting an IO board...
Shamus

Unread post by Shamus »

I use a couple resistors and caps to grab the audio signal from pins of GPIO1:

Phone_jack_out.jpg
Phone_jack_out.jpg (53.59 KiB) Viewed 3061 times
nizce

Unread post by nizce »

Thanks!

Seems quite hard to get a IO board in Europe for a reasonable price(almost 70EUR with tax and shipping) right now.
I think I'll go with the converter/extractor or I'll take a chance and order one from an Amazon seller, they're cheap but you never quite know what you get :)
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

*Passive* HDMI->DVI converters need DVI_mode=1. (They won't ever have audio breakout.) Most devices negotiate with the display to figure out that it can't accept audio, but Mister does not and needs that setting toggled.
nizce

Unread post by nizce »

Thanks!
So a converter which includes ex. 3.5mm out should work with dvi_mode 0