Mt32-Pi Akumajou Dracula issue - comparison with an older pre-release build

kikusui

Mt32-Pi Akumajou Dracula issue - comparison with an older pre-release build

Unread post by kikusui »

Hi folks,
I've been playing around with the various builds of the X68000 core for quite a long time, but have only just gotten around to trying the officially released version from around mid December. I've seen people mention in various places with regards to the midi aspect of the core that Akumajou Dracula is the "go to game" to test (and for me it certainly was with the earlier unofficial builds). But I've also seen people mention that's it perfect. From my perspective it isn't, and there seems to be quite a regression when comparing the midi music from the newly released official build with a test build from back in May 2021 that first introduced the Mt32-Pi element. To my ears, the difference is night & day in that various elements of the music are out of time with each other on the official build. This is not the case with the earlier test build.

I guess I'm asking if this is a known issue, or is there something in my setup that is wrong that i'm overlooking? My Mt32-Pi (3A+) has the lastest updates from dOpefish, works fine with the ao486 core & an earlier pre-release build of the X68000 core, but has issues with the official X68000 core release. I've uploaded a couple of videos to hightlight what I'm hearing.

This is the officially released build from December 2021.

This is the unofficial test build from May 2021 (I think I even got the RBF from main discussion thread here!). You can definitely here the difference bewtween the two

Is this a known issue, or is there something wrong with my setup? Any insights & suggestions would be appreciated!
Brettster

Re: Mt32-Pi Akumajou Dracula issue - comparison with an older pre-release build

Unread post by Brettster »

Not sure what your problem is, but I can say that I dont have that repeating sound issue you get with the dec14 version
Arcade, Video Game and Tech Junkie
FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

I agree with Brettster. I dont have the issues you havw with the Dec 14th version
kikusui

Unread post by kikusui »

Brettster wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:52 pm Not sure what your problem is, but I can say that I dont have that repeating sound issue you get with the dec14 version
Thanks Brettster, your response has actually helped ... "repeated sound issue"!

Prior to the MT32-Pi test build there was another test build version that enabled midi through the Arm side of the DE10, only you had to turn on the UART option to enable it. In the official release on my MiSTer this UART option was enabled & Midi was selected, so I think I was getting the midi from both the MT32-Pi plus from the Arm side as well, hence the repeating sound! Disabling the UART has cleared up the issue.