PC88 Core

jca
Top Contributor

Re: PC88 Core

Unread post by jca »

2 brand new roms, never programmed. Grab them while they last.
Attachments
Spacers.zip
(353 Bytes) Downloaded 378 times
Pepeart

Unread post by Pepeart »

I found this one on MISTER TELEGRAM SPANISH and it works.
Pepeart

Unread post by Pepeart »

I tried different games and I can only use shift and Z to either shoot or jump, but wich keys are to walk? I tried all the keys and my character doesnt move.
Pepeart

Unread post by Pepeart »

it looks like my wireless logitech keyboard doesnt register the 2 4 6 & 8 keys, I got my characters to move using my wired keyboard
Moondandy
Top Contributor

Unread post by Moondandy »

Best not post copyright material to the board. For those looking for the BIOS, you can now run the BIOS getter script or update all.
Pepeart

Unread post by Pepeart »

Moondandy wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:25 am Best not post copyright material to the board. For those looking for the BIOS, you can now run the BIOS getter script or update all.
Got it. Thank you
wark91
Core Developer

Unread post by wark91 »

Pepeart wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:17 am it looks like my wireless logitech keyboard doesnt register the 2 4 6 & 8 keys, I got my characters to move using my wired keyboard
Yes a lot of Japanese games used numeric keypad and PC8801 doesn't have gamepad support for all games.
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

Does this core secretly require 128MB SDRAM?
pgimeno
Top Contributor

Unread post by pgimeno »

lamarax wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:55 pm On topic: I think I've dug out every -correct- image needed to build boot.rom, except graphfont.bin. Any clues outside of leeching .qar files? :)
See here: viewtopic.php?p=18939#p18939

I don't know if this is the boot.rom that everyone is using, though. It's the one that I was able to make based on previous posts, and that worked for me with Puu's core at some point. I haven't tried with the recent core. Tried now and it works.
Moondandy
Top Contributor

Unread post by Moondandy »

Is the one from the BIOS getter script working fine for people?
teller

Unread post by teller »

yes the script works fine for me.
douglasamcintosh

Unread post by douglasamcintosh »

So what are the best english language / language neutral games to try?
Pepeart

Unread post by Pepeart »

douglasamcintosh wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:25 pm So what are the best english language / language neutral games to try?
I like Super Pitfall
hipsofjw

Unread post by hipsofjw »

douglasamcintosh wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:25 pm So what are the best english language / language neutral games to try?
If you go to the retroplay-en listing on archive.org, you can get a zip file with all the fan translated PC-88 games. It's only 6 games, but it's a start. One of them is Mirrors, a crazy looking horror visual novel that was just recently translated. Another is Genesis, Square's first proper RPG title. There's also The Dragon & Princess, a very early JRPG that had a pretty big influence.

PC-98 has gotten way more attention from translators.
douglasamcintosh

Unread post by douglasamcintosh »

If you go to the retroplay-en listing on archive.org, you can get a zip file with all the fan translated PC-88 games. It's only 6 games, but it's a start. One of them is Mirrors, a crazy looking horror visual novel that was just recently translated. Another is Genesis, Square's first proper RPG title. There's also The Dragon & Princess, a very early JRPG that had a pretty big influence.
That's fabulous, I found some listings but nothing that useful for what's playable or not. I suppose I can just work my way through the Neo Kobe download :)
PC-98 has gotten way more attention from translators.
I know. I almost accidentally downloaded a few of the PC98 without paying attention!

Thanks for the pointers.
cathrynmataga

Unread post by cathrynmataga »

Oh, there are a lot of games on this system. I couldn't get the YS 1 running, not sure why, but Zeliard started up fine, picked some random one disk games and they came up.

One game I do know, because I worked on the C64 conversion back in the day, that's Babylon. Hmm, it starts fine, but it wants a 'yuuzaa disku' in Drive 2. I think I maybe need a formatted blank .d88 disk. If this one works, it should be playable without Japanese language ability. Most of the text is just story, that doesn't matter if you don't know.
cathrynmataga

Unread post by cathrynmataga »

It is an irritation of PC platforms Mister that there's no easy way to make blank formatted disks. My suggestion, every core should ship with one blank floppy file, formatted if needed, and then add a menu option somewhere to duplicate it to a new name in the game directory.
pgimeno
Top Contributor

Unread post by pgimeno »

hipsofjw wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:20 amOne of them is Mirrors, a crazy looking horror visual novel that was just recently translated.
Is Mirrors runnable on the core? I see it comes with a CD image but I can't see anything in the core to read from CD.
Kaeril

Unread post by Kaeril »

Amazing work :)
I tried a couple of games (namely Revolter and Alpha) and it seems that the music plays a little slower than intended. At least when I compare to these games' OSTs as they're heard on YouTube, since I don't have the real hardware to compare.
Am I doing something wrong?
caffeinekid

Unread post by caffeinekid »

Kaeril wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:26 am Amazing work :)
I tried a couple of games (namely Revolter and Alpha) and it seems that the music plays a little slower than intended. At least when I compare to these games' OSTs as they're heard on YouTube, since I don't have the real hardware to compare.
Am I doing something wrong?
It's not 4mhz vs 8mhz setting?
ItalianGrandma

Unread post by ItalianGrandma »

Feeling a bit dense at the moment, but how the heck do you get games running on this core???

I've got the TOSEC set along with the boot.rom from update_all...From there I have no idea what I'm supposed to do :oops:
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

ItalianGrandma wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:10 pm Feeling a bit dense at the moment, but how the heck do you get games running on this core???

I've got the TOSEC set along with the boot.rom from update_all...From there I have no idea what I'm supposed to do :oops:
If you can see the DOS screen ("How many files..." and few commands on the bottom) then you just open the OSD and insert a .d88 disk file in FDD0. Then Reset and the disk should autoboot (at least most games should).

Depending on the game, you might need to change the "Mode" in OSD. Some games will need V1, V2 or N (different gfx legacy models).
I recommend getting Neo Kobe PC-8801 set from archive.org since it's the most comprehensive and also has loading hints in file names.

Some games might not work at all, since the core is WIP. So far I think only Bruce Lee failed to run completely for me from ~20 disks I've tried.
pgimeno
Top Contributor

Unread post by pgimeno »

If you have files in a format other than .d88, you need to convert them. If you can handle the Linux command line and connect to MiSTer via ssh, look at my sig. Otherwise I heard of some converter for Windows but I don't remember the name or how to find it.
cmstar0

iPad Screen Modelines

Unread post by cmstar0 »

Does anyone have the proper iPad screen modeline settings for this core? I typically use atrac17's modelines for all cores in his repo, but I don't see anything in his github yet.
Freez_Izzy

Unread post by Freez_Izzy »

Can someone confirm "Digital Devil Monogatari: Megami Tensei" (2 disk) give a black screen after reset? 1 disk demo working fine.