Compiling the PSX core

Discussion of developmental aspects of the MiSTer Project.
virtuali

Compiling the PSX core

Unread post by virtuali »

Hello,

I tried compiling the current PSX core on Github, mainly to get a chance to try Quartus Prime. I used the 17.1 version for Windows, and the compilation worked at the first try without having to change any settings but, when I try the .RBF, it works but I get no sound. The latest pre-compiled nightly build, which results in a binary size slightly different than mine, has the sound working alright.

There are two .qpf files, one says it's for Quartus 13.1, the other for 17.0. Is there some compile settings that needs to be changed to get sound ? Or, just using 17.1 instead of 17.0 the project seems to have been compiled with, is enough to cause issues ?
jca
Top Contributor

Re: Compiling the PSX core

Unread post by jca »

17.0.2 is the recommended version, I do not know if 17.1 is suitable but if it compiles without error and works for the graphic it may be OK.
Initially the sound required dual SDRAM so it may be that by default the core you compiled is the one for dual SDRAM. There must be some "flag" to change in the source to produce the single SDRAM version. This just an idea and I may be wrong.
jca
Top Contributor

Re: Compiling the PSX core

Unread post by jca »

Also do not worry about the size difference: the rbf contains some sort of Build ID which will be different and will give a slight difference in size.