I/O Digital 1.2 with CRT TV "Video Component"

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
marcelosofth

I/O Digital 1.2 with CRT TV "Video Component"

Unread post by marcelosofth »

I bought a Mister FPGA with I/O Digital Edition v1.2 and I want to connect it to my CRT TV via Component Video is it possible? :idea:
thorr
Top Contributor

Re: I/O Digital 1.2 with CRT TV "Video Component"

Unread post by thorr »

Yes, it is possible because I am doing it. However, very few HDMI to component adapters work with the MiSTer and they don't make the one I have anymore. To save yourself a lot of grief and research, I would recommend the Antonio Villena IO board options because they have higher bit quality DAC's on them than the official analog IO boards do. However, I think he sells memory with them and the price is high because of that. The regular analog IO board is the next best option.
marcelosofth

thorr wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:22 am Yes, it is possible because I am doing it. However, very few HDMI to component adapters work with the MiSTer and they don't make the one I have anymore. To save yourself a lot of grief and research, I would recommend the Antonio Villena IO board options because they have higher bit quality DAC's on them than the official analog IO boards do. However, I think he sells memory with them and the price is high because of that. The regular analog IO board is the next best option.
But mine is i/o digital v1.2, is it possible?
thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

Mine is too, but you can't find an HDMI to component adapter that works anymore. That is the problem. The simplest solution is to get an analog IO board instead of an HDMI to component adapter.
marcelosofth

thorr wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:30 am Mine is too, but you can't find an HDMI to component adapter that works anymore. That is the problem. The simplest solution is to get an analog IO board instead of an HDMI to component adapter.
Can you show a picture of your adapter and model? It will help me a lot! 🕹️
thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

Here is a thread I started on this subject: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1471
I have three adapters that all look the same on the outside, but inside they are different. One works perfectly. One works when it feels like it on and off. One never works at all. If you buy one, there is a 2 out of 3 chance you will have problems. I just looked on ebay and aliexpress and I can't even find one that looks like mine anymore. I am telling you as best I can that as of now, your best option is an analog IO board. Another option may be to use an HDMI to VGA converter and convert that to component with another converter. I have not succeeded in doing that, but if anyone else has, they can tell you what they used.
thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

marcelosofth

thorr wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:53 am It looks like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011NUG90K/
Is this converter sure to work on Mister's hdmi output?
thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

No, as I said it is 2/3 likely not to work if you can even find one.
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

Unread post by flynnsbit »

Direct video can do component but you need to modify the adapter by following the pictures attached. https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_Mi ... pr-signals https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MS611LJ/

and then this

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F3WVV99/

and then turn on direct_video=1 in your mister.ini file. Or get an analog board with the sync on green switch and then you dont need the direct video, but would lose dual ram setup...
Attachments
sync-on-green-circuit.png
sync-on-green-circuit.png (43.79 KiB) Viewed 16597 times
directvideo3.png
directvideo3.png (1.32 MiB) Viewed 16601 times
directVideo.png
directVideo.png (1.46 MiB) Viewed 16601 times
directVideo-resistor.png
directVideo-resistor.png (1.34 MiB) Viewed 16601 times
marcelosofth

flynnsbit wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 5:03 am Direct video can do component but you need to modify the adapter by following the pictures attached. https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_Mi ... pr-signals https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MS611LJ/

and then this

and then turn on direct_video=1 in your mister.ini file. Or get an analog board with the sync on green switch and then you dont need the direct video, but would lose dual ram setup...
Thanks friend, finally a complete and definitive answer and without a doubt, just one question, is the image quality the same with "direct_video" and I/O Analog board?
thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

I forgot you could modify that adapter. I actually bought the VGA parts to do that mod externally, but never got around to trying it.
flynnsbit wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 5:03 am but would lose dual ram setup...
I never understood this. What is "dual ram setup"? Two physical SDRAM modules instead of one? What uses this? I have a 128MB module. Does Dual RAM use the onboard DE10 memory plus the add-on memory?
is the image quality the same with "direct_video" and I/O Analog board?
No, direct video should/could be better due to higher bit dac's.
FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

thorr wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:28 am I forgot you could modify that adapter. I actually bought the VGA parts to do that mod externally, but never got around to trying it.
flynnsbit wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 5:03 am but would lose dual ram setup...
I never understood this. What is "dual ram setup"? Two physical SDRAM modules instead of one? What uses this? I have a 128MB module. Does Dual RAM use the onboard DE10 memory plus the add-on memory?
is the image quality the same with "direct_video" and I/O Analog board?
No, direct video should/could be better due to higher bit dac's.
Dual Ram is currently of use in the PSX Core. The core works with 1 stick but is enhanced with 2. The upcoming Saturn core also may need the dual stick setup.

Dual Ram means you can only use a Digital IO Board as the socket for the Analogue IO takes up the space that a 2nd stick would be inserted into.
thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

FPGA64 wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:08 am Dual Ram is currently of use in the PSX Core. The core works with 1 stick but is enhanced with 2. The upcoming Saturn core also may need the dual stick setup.

Dual Ram means you can only use a Digital IO Board as the socket for the Analogue IO takes up the space that a 2nd stick would be inserted into.
Thanks! I assume the 2nd stick is different hardware because the pins are different. Where do you get this and what are the enhancements that the PSX core gets? I don't see anything about it on the MiSTer github site.
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

For the PSX core dual sticks gives you fully accurate sound. One stick will include some kind of compromises, though ideally it would just be barely perceptible timing imperfections.

As of now the unreleased Saturn core uses dual sticks, unknown if that will change.
thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

FoxbatStargazer wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:05 pm For the PSX core dual sticks gives you fully accurate sound. One stick will include some kind of compromises, though ideally it would just be barely perceptible timing imperfections.

As of now the unreleased Saturn core uses dual sticks, unknown if that will change.
Thanks. I can't find anything about the hardware. Is it the same as the 128MB stick I already have and I just need to order a second one? Can it be a 32MB and work with the 128MB I already have? Is there a picture anywhere showing both memory sticks installed? If it is different hardware, I can't seem to find where to buy it.
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

I wouldn't really rush and buy any extra RAM unless the core is finished (never even mind Saturn now). Like I nearly did when it was said Spectrum Next core will only be possible on a special 32MB stick.
FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

thorr wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:41 pm
FoxbatStargazer wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:05 pm For the PSX core dual sticks gives you fully accurate sound. One stick will include some kind of compromises, though ideally it would just be barely perceptible timing imperfections.

Thanks. I can't find anything about the hardware. Is it the same as the 128MB stick I already have and I just need to order a second one? Can it be a 32MB and work with the 128MB I already have? Is there a picture anywhere showing both memory sticks installed? If it is different hardware, I can't seem to find where to buy it.
Yes its the exact same stick. One connects in the usualy memory location and the other connects on the opposite side. Note both should have this side faces outwards outwards, Also SW3 has to be flipped which is usual for a digital IO board.

Currently the PSX can have a mix of ram sticks. So people have the 128mb in the primary and a 32 mb in the secondary slot, you could have dual 128mb though.
FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

FI8OSbnXoAImwRD.jpg
FI8OSbnXoAImwRD.jpg (84.66 KiB) Viewed 16096 times
is the image shamelessly stolen from the Disord Pinned messages. Originally posted by a User called DMG

Sorry its a little small to see
thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

Awesome, thanks!
JPS

Unread post by JPS »

A second memory module will give the SPU part of the PSX core dedicated memory. The first memory module is already dedicated to the CPU to ensure exact timings for that part of the core. With a single memory module SPU will have to share DDR3 memory with GPU and other components, which result in less exact timings.

The option for the second memory module will stay in the PSX core as an option, even if there are no major problems with the single memory solution. Future cores like Saturn or more advanced Arcade cores may support or need it as well. Maybe some existing cores will also add that option, if the user base with two memory modules is big enough.

So if you don't need the analog IO board for you setup it's recommended to buy the digital IO board instead to be more future proof. As Direct Video allows CRTs over HDMI an analog IO board is not needed for that use case. The main reason to get an analog board is if you want dual video output for streaming.
thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

Thanks! Well said. I am looking forward to seeing what comes in the future. I am waiting for my second MiSTer to arrive from Mouser for my arcade cabinet, and I ordered the Antonio Villena IOUSB Mini 6 for it. I assume in that case, I won't be able to use the second memory card. I am ok with it since my primary MiSTer already has the digital IO board and that is what I would use with the PSX and Saturn. I will only care about the second memory card in my arcade cabinet if there are any new cores that require it and I want to play those games. I have the primary MiSTer housed in a NESpi4 case that I customized and it barely fits in there with the digital IO board. I will have to see if there is room for another memory card.
marcelosofth

flynnsbit wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 5:03 am Direct video can do component but you need to modify the adapter by following the pictures attached. https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_Mi ... pr-signals https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MS611LJ/

and then this

Hello "flynnsbit" the procedure you told me about the Resistor 1k + Diode worked, is it possible 240p?
I have an TV LG 480i for component video, but the image has grains and tingling because of the 480i output from the HDMI to VGA converter "Vention" + VGA to Component cable, with this configuration I can get 240p from my Digital I/O Board v1.2 ?
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

It is certainly 240p, in terms of signal standards 240p is just a kind of special/unsupported thing within 480i. If your picture isn't rolling, complete garbage or double-image your resolution should be fine.

If possible you should try to use your CRT with some other source to compare, not clear what "grains" or "tingling" are but weird things can happen with CRTs, especially cheap and/or well worn ones. (never mind failing capacitors). There could also be some issue with the SoG circuit you created.