USB Midilink no longer working on AO486 core

Fuzzy_Dunlop

USB Midilink no longer working on AO486 core

Unread post by Fuzzy_Dunlop »

I have a Roland UM-One paired with a MT-32 which previously worked great with MiSTer but now is no longer functioning. It's been a while since I used it last but I am pretty sure I selected USB from the Midilink option under "UART mode (MIDI)" menu. Now USB is not longer an option, with only UDP, Fsynth and MUNT being options. I tried UDP mode just in case I was misremembering and I get no audio. I tried both with SoftMPU on and off via autoexec and it doesn't work either way.

Am I missing something to enable USB Mode on Midilink? I tested the UM-One on my PC and it still works fine so it's definitely not a problem with the Midi to USB adapter. I believe I am completely updated via Update_All and the Midilink updater script.
HarborSeal

Re: USB Midilink no longer working on AO486 core

Unread post by HarborSeal »

I don't use USB midilink. But I do use UDP and I have no issues.

Perhaps the SD card needs to be wiped an reinstalled.
bbond007
Top Contributor

Unread post by bbond007 »

Fuzzy_Dunlop wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:58 am I have a Roland UM-One paired with a MT-32 which previously worked great with MiSTer but now is no longer functioning. It's been a while since I used it last but I am pretty sure I selected USB from the Midilink option under "UART mode (MIDI)" menu. Now USB is not longer an option, with only UDP, Fsynth and MUNT being options. I tried UDP mode just in case I was misremembering and I get no audio. I tried both with SoftMPU on and off via autoexec and it doesn't work either way.

Am I missing something to enable USB Mode on Midilink? I tested the UM-One on my PC and it still works fine so it's definitely not a problem with the Midi to USB adapter. I believe I am completely updated via Update_All and the Midilink updater script.
I ran the latest updates and tried it with my UM-ONE MK2 and it still works here...

I see a few possibilities:
  • Perhaps you have not used USB MIDI in a long time and are just not familiar with latest iteration of the UART menu?
If you select "MidiLink:" you should be able to toggle between Local/USB/UDP (FSynth & MUNT are now options under Local):
USB-MIDI.jpg
USB-MIDI.jpg (229.48 KiB) Viewed 5026 times
If that is not the issue then the next thing to check is for the presence of "/dev/midi"...

With UM-ONE attached, use SSH or F9-Console (in main OSD menu) to issue the following command:

Code: Select all

ls -la /dev/midi
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 14, 18 Jan 30 15:59 /dev/midi1
/root#
If the response is "No such file or directory" then we need to troubleshoot the USB adapter itself as its not being detected by the Linux kernel:
  • Try a different USB port.
  • Unplug unnecessary (power hungry) USB devices such as WiFi.
  • Try a different USB hub.
  • Plug/unplug UM-ONE and issue command "dmesg" via SSH and look for any suspicious output concerning the adapter.
Finally, do you know if you are using a UM-ONE or UM-ONE MK2? I don't have the original UM-ONE to test. I guess there is a (very) slight possibility that the latest kernel may only detect the more common MK2.

I also though I'd mention that the OSD (MiSTer bin) is totally unaware of the presence of SoftMPU (simply looks for "/dev/midi"), so disabling/enabling that is not going to have any effect on the UART OSD.

Hope that helps... no external MT-32 is indeed a tragedy...
Fuzzy_Dunlop

I appreciate your detailed response and I figured out what is going on. I do have an MK2 btw.

After running the command listed I got a "No such file or directory" so ran "ls -l" command and noticed my UM-ONE was listed under /dev/midi2 (not midi1). My UM-ONE is connected to a USB switching hub along with keyboard and mouse (connected to MiSTer 2.1 hub) that is connected to my PC and MiSTer simultaneously and allows me switch devices between the two via a button press. I tried connecting it directly to the 2.1 hub and it remained as "midi2", however after a restart it was now listed as "midi1" and at that point the USB option was now available in the UART menu and the MT-32 started working again when I tested a game.

Is there any way to get it working when it's connected to the hub and recognized as "midi2"? Perhaps something that can be configured in the midilink.ini file? It worked at one point and it's obviously way more convenient to switch it via a button than climbing under my desk to unplug from my PC and connect it to my MiSTer.
bbond007
Top Contributor

Unread post by bbond007 »

Fuzzy_Dunlop wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:51 pm Is there any way to get it working when it's connected to the hub and recognized as "midi2"? Perhaps something that can be configured in the midilink.ini file? It worked at one point and it's obviously way more convenient to switch it via a button than climbing under my desk to unplug from my PC and connect it to my MiSTer.
The MIDI device is currently not configurable in MidiLInk.INI, and while that would be a simple enough for me to add, I'd also have to alter MiSTer bin to also look for /dev/midi#. Then it would still be a PIA if the device was constantly moving around.

Until there is a better solution (If you are using a windows PC) you could leave the UM-ONE connected to the PC and use UDP/UDPMIDI.EXE viewtopic.php?p=35782#p35782
Fuzzy_Dunlop

Thanks, I'll give that a try.