PSX Games that had Enhanced Ports

Reg

PSX Games that had Enhanced Ports

Unread post by Reg »

My channel has well over 100 videos of games that have been played, mostly on the MiSTer FPGA.

One of the most recent ones I did was os the PSX core was Crazy Climber 2000, it is here...
Crazy Climber 2000.png
Crazy Climber 2000.png (1.08 MiB) Viewed 3681 times
https://youtu.be/aqfJSFyaqNI

...this game has totally blown me away. Level 1 is a 3D pologon version of the original - but from Level 2 - shown in the video - they take a great game and make it awesome by doing something very different.

Does anyone know of any games that had vastly superior enhanced ports on home platforms ?
Chris23235
Top Contributor

Re: PSX Games that had Enhanced Ports

Unread post by Chris23235 »

This looks really fun, there were some good remasters/recreations of older games on the PSX, I always loved Robotron X, it captured the spirit of the original quite well.
barfood

Unread post by barfood »

Are you asking the question for psx games only? If not, examples of ports that are enhancements of the arcade that come to mind:

- Donkey Kong (Gameboy)
- Atomic Runner (Genesis)
Reg

Unread post by Reg »

barfood wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 2:06 pm Are you asking the question for psx games only? If not, examples of ports that are enhancements of the arcade that come to mind:

- Donkey Kong (Gameboy)
- Atomic Runner (Genesis)
PSX stuff - I grew up in that era and I am shocked that for a game I love like this, it totally passed me by.
softtest9

Unread post by softtest9 »

Final Fantasy I and II have had quite a few ports but the best versions remain on the PS1.

The X68000 Castlevania game also received a PS1 port with some graphical tweaks and some new soundtrack options, including an SC-55 soundtrack (no real SC-55 needed).
Chris23235
Top Contributor

Unread post by Chris23235 »

Some more that come to my mind:

Sentinel Returns, nothing changed gameplay wise, but the graphics are now textured and the game has a fantastic soundtrack by John Carpenter.

Tempest X3, not as good as Tempest 2000 but this version can be activated (achieve a score of >500000 points and enter "H V S" in the highscore table, save score and you will get Tempest 2000 as a new game mode).

Centipede, Frogger, Pong: The next level, nice updates to the arcade originals. Not spectacular but very playable.
pgimeno
Top Contributor

Unread post by pgimeno »

Chris23235 wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:02 pm Sentinel Returns, nothing changed gameplay wise,
The pace!

Also, are there meanies in SR? I don't recall any. Edit: It seems there are, according to Wikipedia.
Sigismond0

Unread post by Sigismond0 »

Chrono Trigger was re-released on PSX with FMV sequences. But core graphics/gameplay are kept intact.
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

I'd tried playing Chrono on PSX before, but the long loading times really put a damper on things, and I switched to SNES eventually. Maybe here it'd be quicker thou.