How to Setup the Unstable PlayStation Core on your MiSTer

Xbytez
Site Admin

How to Setup the Unstable PlayStation Core on your MiSTer

Unread post by Xbytez »

For those who are having problems getting this PSX core up and running this is a great resource:

Sigismond0

Re: How to Setup the Unstable PlayStation Core on your MiSTer

Unread post by Sigismond0 »

Link to an updater script that you can run to pull down/update the nightly builds:

https://github.com/Akuma-Git/misterfpga ... ghtlies.sh
held

Unread post by held »

I like Lu's Retro Source and its good people follow along just once. But like all manual things they are prone to error and tire rather quickly.

Better read this for a quick setup: viewtopic.php?p=39332#p39332 or wget the direct link from above.
edr

Unread post by edr »

From Discord MiSTer -> psx-core-testing -> stickies:
https://vampier.net/PSX/

Most important from the guide:
Q: I got a call someone would setup the PSX core in exchange for Google gift cards
A: Just hang up the phone
sardine

Unread post by sardine »

why does everyone wrongly link or suggest schp1001 is the 1st bios. when in fact this is more like 3000 bios v 2.2 not the grey bios but the paint splat incorrectly labeled. ( was the Japanese Bios v 1.0 and 1.1 paint splat and usa / uk v2.0 grey ) ??

rom version for uk anyway is v2.0
Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. CEX-1000 KT-3 by S.O
System ROM Version 2.0 05/10/95 E
grey background not paint splat

the one everyone ( or all the links ) schp1001 is actually. v 2.2
Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.CEX-3000/1001/1002 by K.S.
System ROM Version 2.2 12/04/95 A

i know im getting old and my brain is aging but every psx in the UK had the grey background for the 1st few years before the silly paint splat came along with the newer 5xxx and 7xxx consoles.

I just don't understand why everyone ( all the videos on youtube or links to the files ) give the paint splat ??

edit found this, if correct bios went 1.0 - 1.1 - 2.2 - 2.0 - 3.0 etc ,, don't make sense to me ?
http://forum.redump.org/topic/4991/new- ... l-cd-unit/

anyway im sticking to what I remember :) grey bios was 1st bios for PAL units anway... taa :D
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

I think the point right now is to use the BIOS that the dev suggests because not every bios is probably being tested at the moment. So there may be errors with others. Don't know whether the "right" one is grey or colorful but whichever it is, you should probably stick with that for the moment rather than aesthetic preference.
FPGAzumSpass
Core Developer

Unread post by FPGAzumSpass »

Many BIOS have been tested and found working in the meantime, but i only use 1001 for now, because...well, i need some constant, otherwise i cannot trust anything after some weeks.
sardine

Unread post by sardine »

FoxbatStargazer wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:52 am I think the point right now is to use the BIOS that the dev suggests because not every bios is probably being tested at the moment. So there may be errors with others. Don't know whether the "right" one is grey or colorful but whichever it is, you should probably stick with that for the moment rather than aesthetic preference.
I totally agree 100% but..........

Is the Bios that "everyone" is downloading the same as what the Dev is using, is the Bios the dev is using grey or colour splat ??

Is the Bios with the colour splat actually 1001 because I don't think it is, this style bios ( in the UK ) was grey and the colour splat came much later in the psx life ( in the uk ).

If there is differences with compatibility from different bios versions how do we know everyone is using the correct ( same ) bios ? You cant simple trust the filename scph1001.bin to actually be the correct version.

anyway I got mine from archive.org
names starting:-

ps-20e.bin for pal/Europe grey
ps-10j.bin Japanese colour splat
ps-20a.bin for USA NTSC Colour splat

so should I be using the USA Bios ?? not the uk/Pal one a grew up with ?
FPGAzumSpass wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:35 am Many BIOS have been tested and found working in the meantime, but i only use 1001 for now, because...well, i need some constant, otherwise i cannot trust anything after some weeks.
Thank you so much for all your hard work, i'm enjoying crash bandicoot and abe's oddysee at the moment and looking forwards to Tomb Raider 1 and gran turismo :D
pbsk8

Unread post by pbsk8 »

how to add memory cards? some file to be transferred via ftp to any folder?
Sigismond0

Unread post by Sigismond0 »

pbsk8 wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:26 am how to add memory cards? some file to be transferred via ftp to any folder?
Correct. You can download memory card files, and load to wherever you want. I just put mine into /games/PSX/Memory Cards. Links are on the Github.

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/PSX_MiS ... in/memcard
Caldor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Caldor »

Many PAL games use Libcrypto as copy protection and the PSX core and MiSTer mains latest updates added support for LibCrypto. Remember to update both if you want to test this, the updates were released yesterday Feb. 6th.

Besides doing the update, the folder with the CUE file for the game needs an SBI file which contains the missing parts of the CDs with the copy protection stuff. They can all be downloaded from redump.org under the download section.