Be careful when buying a new monitor

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
Insert Disk Two

Be careful when buying a new monitor

Unread post by Insert Disk Two »

So there seems to be a new "technology" out there when it comes to monitor panels that makes things look much worse. I got two recently released monitors one of which is an expensive Eizo that both have this thing. Basically it looks like a very faint vertical jailbar effect mostly visible on orange and blue colours. Might take some time to notice unless you actually look for them, but once you do.... I have looked up about this and several forum posts, reddit complaints etc. confirm it. This is not regarded as a defect. I tried to look up information like what type of panels have this so when buying a monitor online I would be sure that I'm not getting one of these, but it seems that "officially" this problem does not exist.

My suggestion is when buying a new monitor, no matter how expensive it is, try and see it working first especially on light blue and bright orange background.
Mr. Encyclopedia

Re: Be careful when buying a new monitor

Unread post by Mr. Encyclopedia »

Is this a problem specific to MiSTer or do these jailbars show up regardless of what is sending a signal to the monitor?
Insert Disk Two

100% the panel. I found several posts in forums of people complaining about this, but it is not something which has ever been acknowledged by manufacturers:

https://www.overclock.net/threads/ips-d ... s.1616883/
drgruney

Unread post by drgruney »

this isn't new, IPS panels (and their benefits/issues) are pretty old now. The link you posted is from 2016.......
Insert Disk Two

You are right, I wasn't aware this tech is old. I never heard of it before and what's worse is there seems no way what you are getting until you personally see it.
edr

Unread post by edr »

Hopefully not the case with the Dell 2007FP - waiting for one to arrive :).

Wonder if some of the other 4:3 1600x1200 IPS "classics" like the NEC P212-BK and Eizo S2133-BK have the issue.
Larkhainan

Unread post by Larkhainan »

Likely just cross reference more detailed reviews once you can identify models that have the issue. Pixel peeping reviews should show the problem, they'll zoom in on layout. There's actually not that many different panel manufacturers, it might just be specific panels.

IPS has been around long enough to be classified as retro itself, but it's actually wildly varied in spec and design between companies and their panels.
Insert Disk Two

Not that easy. I even tried to take close up photos but the issue doesn't show up.