Prevent bios from loading upon starting the core

C-R-T

Prevent bios from loading upon starting the core

Unread post by C-R-T »

Is that possible? If not, consider this a feature request.
xFlesk

Re: Prevent bios from loading upon starting the core

Unread post by xFlesk »

fastboot = on
TheCompany.pl - Amiga EXE Games
C-R-T

Unread post by C-R-T »

No, I meant bios loading when the core starts, not when you load an iso. I want the core to stay black until I do something with it, like the others.
darksakul

Unread post by darksakul »

C-R-T wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:17 pm No, I meant bios loading when the core starts, not when you load an iso. I want the core to stay black until I do something with it, like the others.
No. There not much you can do at that point. Enjoy the video games you play and put up with the boot screen is all you can do.
It is my great regret that we live in an age that is proud of machines that think and suspicious of people who try to.
pgimeno
Top Contributor

Unread post by pgimeno »

C-R-T wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:17 pm No, I meant bios loading when the core starts, not when you load an iso. I want the core to stay black until I do something with it, like the others.
Some other real consoles don't do anything without a cartridge, but the real PSX boots from BIOS. It's not alone in that; for example the Sega MegaCD does the same. The Vectrex and the Philips G7000 are other examples.
FPGAzumSpass
Core Developer

Unread post by FPGAzumSpass »

Other cores also show the BIOS, e.g. GB, GBA

If you don't want it, use fastboot and save settings. Next time you load the core, the BIOS will not start.
That's the best you can do.

BIOS boot on core loading will stay.
SwedishGojira

Unread post by SwedishGojira »

It is possible to have the behaviour you seek if you have your bios named "cd_bios.rom" and put it in the folder where you keep your isos.
Caldor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Caldor »

Most cores boot something other than a black screen. C64 core f.ex. always boot into the C64 boot. Minimig / Amiga core boots the bios/kickrom that was saved with the settings. I am pretty sure generally the norm is for cores to boot into something, unless you change the settings to not have the core boot with an active bios / boot rom and such.
C-R-T

Unread post by C-R-T »

Okay, they boot something, but most cores are quiet and relatively free from animation. The PS1 is not, hence my wish to stop it from doing so. It’s inelegant to see the bios halfway boot up before you have time to open an ISO and then see it restart the bios again. It leads to bios fatigue. ;)
pgimeno
Top Contributor

Unread post by pgimeno »

I don't think the core should reset when selecting a CD, by the way.
softtest9

Unread post by softtest9 »

In most cases, the user is trying to load a new game when selecting a CD. I believe the reset is also skipped if you have a folder with a multi-disc game. To me, this setup makes the most sense and is very convenient.

About the BIOS, did you try one of the alternative BIOS'es? There is one on the PSP's PS1 emulator that finishes the animation faster and there are a few free BIOS'es as well.
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

Why don't you turn FastBoot on?
sardine

Unread post by sardine »

I agree with 2 points

The bios boot should definitely stay. Nostalgia, play cd music ( just for giggles if you wanted to ) and mem card management.

And

The core should not reboot on inserting a cd. This could be for a technical reason like lid switch but maybe a key toggle for this ??
softtest9

Unread post by softtest9 »

What is the use-case for not resetting the console when inserting a disc? The only thing I can think of is multi-disc games, which is already covered.
relax

Unread post by relax »

softtest9 wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:05 pm In most cases, the user is trying to load a new game when selecting a CD. I believe the reset is also skipped if you have a folder with a multi-disc game. To me, this setup makes the most sense and is very convenient.

About the BIOS, did you try one of the alternative BIOS'es? There is one on the PSP's PS1 emulator that finishes the animation faster and there are a few free BIOS'es as well.
how does this work, do you know? i mean i got it to work, but does the core just check for more than 1 cue,iso or exe in a given folder?
or is it checking for a matching file name, with an incremental number?
pgimeno
Top Contributor

Unread post by pgimeno »

softtest9 wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:50 pm What is the use-case for not resetting the console when inserting a disc? The only thing I can think of is multi-disc games, which is already covered.
How can I play the soundtrack of a CDDA-based game in the BIOS CD player if it resets when I insert the disc?
FPGAzumSpass
Core Developer

Unread post by FPGAzumSpass »

Either place both in them same subfolder or place a noreset.txt in the same folder.

This will be described in detail in the readme.
Caldor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Caldor »

Hmm... yeah. If you want to mount a CD right now, but have it stay in the bios while the CD is loaded, you would have to mount a CD without a boot, and have that CD in a folder with the noreset.txt file. F.ex. an audio CD. Or you could just have a cue filer that does not point to a bin file. That would make it possible to boot, have the bios load, and then load a CD and just use it.

I have also asked to have the auto-reset disabled. I have even made my own build of the MiSTer Main that disables the auto-reset. But I will probably go away from that again now we have the no-reset option. I do have a no cash bios that does allow for some special things like browsing CDs in the core and try to break copy protections, but the core already support all copy protections there is for the PSX afaik. The noreset.txt was implemented by Sorgelig recently and I find that to be a pretty neat solution to have support for special cheat CDs and such. It makes it so that when you load a CD in the folder with the file called noreset.txt, the core will reboot when loading it, but it wont reboot the next time you mount a CD.

But if you then want to load the bios without booting a CD... well I guess the default settings could be made to load a broken cue file as I suggested that is in a noreset.txt folder and then you can mount a CD and it wont reset until you select reset and you can play CD audio when that is implemented and such.

I also suggested an option to disable auto-reset, but there seems to be many who think that complicates the core UI or something. If people really want a core that just overall wont autoreset, I could make such a build, but it feels a bit hacky to go this route, and also my no-auto-reset build also stopped the auto-creation of save files. Which is a really nice feature, especially with the latest update that stopped the file from being created before you saved the it in the menu. I could go around that, but I already had too many long debates about this auto-reset option, and as I said I think the current solutions are actually quite nice. I also agree that most people wont be using cheat CDs and other special features like that anyway.

It is intuitive to have the core reset when you mount a CD. What I found less intuitive is having to know that it only does this if its the first time you mount a CD in a specific folder, and the next CD you mount in that folder wont cause a new reset. So as long as you make folders for all your games, and put all multi-CD games images in the same folder, this should all work quite nicely.