Transferring Games from Top 300 TDL to MyMenu.

Captain FPGA

Transferring Games from Top 300 TDL to MyMenu.

Unread post by Captain FPGA »

Haven't installed MyMenu yet. Does it require making a VHD or does it come pre-packaged? My original TDL came pre-packed was guided through pushing a few buttons then bam! Insta-success! What will I need to do for the transition? Is it as simple as switching the games from the old folder to the new one?

I am aware this MyMenu comes prepacked with some games. I watched this video

and it confirmed that

Is it even worth throwing my DOS games from Top300 into this Frontend if it already comes with similar titles? The only thing is Fylnn mentioned the titles included were freeware and it's not clear to me whether the Top300 games were the same set or better? Any guidance here is helpful.
Dreams don't die!
Caldor
Top Contributor

Re: Transferring Games from Top 300 TDL to MyMenu.

Unread post by Caldor »

I think the menu on its own is here:
https://github.com/flynnsbit/DOS_Shareware_MyMenu

But yes, it would make sense with the Top 300 I think, because MyMenu so far is only based on Shareware games and such. So its easier to share without any breaking of copyright and such. Its also based on FreeDOS, which might have compatibility issues with some of the top 300 games.
Stupid Dufus

Unread post by Stupid Dufus »

flynnsbit already mentions in the top300 thread that he's slowly working on converting it over to MyMenu.
viewtopic.php?p=43953#p43953
Captain FPGA

Caldor wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:11 am I think the menu on its own is here:

But yes, it would make sense with the Top 300 I think, because MyMenu so far is only based on Shareware games and such. So its easier to share without any breaking of copyright and such. Its also based on FreeDOS, which might have compatibility issues with some of the top 300 games.
I see so they aren't compatible at all right now.

Would putting the stand alone MyMenu on the same SD as TDL break either or? Can the two be used independently of each other without confusing the update script?
Dreams don't die!
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

Unread post by flynnsbit »

Captain FPGA wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:32 pm

Would putting the stand alone MyMenu on the same SD as TDL break either or? Can the two be used independently of each other without confusing the update script?
Here is the stand alone version of MyMenu with only the foundational files you need to get it working: https://github.com/flynnsbit/MyMenu

MyMenu uses the existing file system and folder structures to dynamically show the games/apps/anything in the menu. If you name a long folder name whatever you want it will automatically show up. You can rename folders and delete files and folders from the MyMenu interface as well if you enable them in the advanced section of the mymenu.ini.

TDL uses a static index files to map shortname folders to long names that are in the index and displayed in the TDL.exe interface. You can simply move MyMenu over to the Top300 E: VHD and launch that instead of TDL. What you will quickly see is that your games folders will be the short name folders. The work is to rename 300 folders to a long file name version, make sure none of them break (They shouldn't), and then make sure that they are scripted so future updates can still occur.

I also have to think ahead on the ability to add and remove games once MyMenu is in place for everyone so I can have the update script handle things like taking a Top300 --> Top 500. Script options that give the user the ability to add optional things to the VHD like add Shareware to the Top 300, add Music, etc. Maybe even a full game selection where you curate your own VHD based on a selection of games you want.

Warning: If you rename your folders in Top 300 you will alienate yourself from all current and future automation and scripting unless your folder names you use are the exact folder names I use. So yes, you can go do it today following the above, just know that you will break the scripting which you might be okay with.

If you want to take the quick and dirty path, grab everything from that github above, throw it on the E: VHD, enable rename in MyMenu.ini and change the default location for Games to E:\GAMES\, open MyMenu and on each game, type ALT-R for rename and give the game the full name instead of the short name. You can reference this file for long file names but no guarantee that I will exactly match what you put.https://github.com/Voljega/ExoDOSConver ... oDOSv5.csv

Then it will basically work. Also, you could set DOAUTOSELECT=T in MyMenu.ini and also rename all 1_START.BAT files to AUTORUN.BAT and then games would boot when you select the folder from MyMenu.

Or you could wait for me... And my timeline is my timeline as I have a day job. ;-)
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

Oh, and as soon as you start renaming folders in E:\GAMES, TDL will break as it wont have a reference to that new folder in its statically generated index. It also doesn't support LFN. This above is a "no turning back" event so my advice would be to duplicate the vhd so you can go back and forth if you want.
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

I saw in another thread somebody saying that MyMenu uses Freedos and so might have lower compatibility?

I'm just trying it out as we speak, wondering if I should use it for my by-year packs, which currently use TDL.
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

The DOS Shareware pack uses FreeDOS because I wanted it to so I could share it openly and store 100% on github without worrying about commercial products. MyMenu doesn't care what OS or hardware it runs on. I have it on MS-DOS 3.3, 5, 6, FreeDOS, 7.1, DosBOX, etc. It just doesn't care. You just need to make sure you load a form of DOSLFN so it can use long filenames. It will actually support SFN as well, just set this in the INI.

#LONG FILE NAME SUPPORT - DISABLE IF YOU ARE NOT USIND DOSLFN/LFNDOS/DOSLFNM
LFN=F
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

akeley wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:06 pm I'm just trying it out as we speak, wondering if I should use it for my by-year packs, which currently use TDL.
I would, I do plan to go back to ExoDOSConverter and change it to use MyMenu instead, but I need all of the scripting done so I know everything works.
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

flynnsbit wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:12 pm The DOS Shareware pack uses FreeDOS because I wanted it to so I could share it openly and store 100% on github without worrying about commercial products. MyMenu doesn't care what OS or hardware it runs on.
Thanks, thought as much.
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

flynnsbit wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:53 pm If you want to take the quick and dirty path, grab everything from that github above, throw it on the E: VHD
I tried it on my PC, with E: being a physical drive, and some games (not from your packs) in E:\DOS\GAMES directory. I used D-Fend Reloaded to run MyMenu then, with E:\DOS mapped as C: I did not change anything in the mymenu.ini.
After some trial end error I managed to get it to run and display some game directories. But when I enter a directory I get "No Files" error (no matter if files in this directory are packed or unpacked).

Do you think it's possible to run MyMenu at this stage on a PC like that, without doing some extensive changes to the ini, or beyond? I just wanted to see it in action & I feel like I'm just one semicolon away or some such from getting it right, but perhaps it's more complicated than that.

But I'm also only just dipping a toe and most likely will stick with TDL (or even just pure DOS directories + Dos Navigator) for my packs, so if this would have to require more elaborate explanation, don't worry about it - I know you're busy enough as it is ;)
bbond007
Top Contributor

Unread post by bbond007 »

akeley wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 4:57 pm But when I enter a directory I get "No Files" error (no matter if files in this directory are packed or unpacked).
Have you loaded DOSLFN? Unless you change MyMenu.INI to "LFN=F" then you'll need to load DOSLFN. Without LFN enabled you won't get long filename support.

see --> https://github.com/flynnsbit/DOS_Sharew ... CONFIG.SYS
"INSTALLHIGH=C:\FDOS\BIN\DOSLFNM.COM"

For 386 computers --> http://adoxa.altervista.org/doslfn/
For XT/286 computers --> https://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-st ... fndos.html

You say you are running it on your PC and make no mention of ao486. Hopefully that does not mean DOSBox as DOSBox is unfortunately incompatible with both DOSLFN and LFNDOS and does not natively implement software interrupt 0x21, functions 0x714e & 0x714f API (FindFirst & FindNext) for LFN.

PCem and x86box work though.
Captain FPGA

flynnsbit wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:53 pm
Captain FPGA wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:32 pm

Here is the stand alone version of MyMenu with only the foundational files you need to get it working: https://github.com/flynnsbit/MyMenu

MyMenu uses the existing file system and folder structures to dynamically show the games/apps/anything in the menu. If you name a long folder name whatever you want it will automatically show up. You can rename folders and delete files and folders from the MyMenu interface as well if you enable them in the advanced section of the mymenu.ini.

TDL uses a static index files to map shortname folders to long names that are in the index and displayed in the TDL.exe interface. You can simply move MyMenu over to the Top300 E: VHD and launch that instead of TDL. What you will quickly see is that your games folders will be the short name folders. The work is to rename 300 folders to a long file name version, make sure none of them break (They shouldn't), and then make sure that they are scripted so future updates can still occur.

I also have to think ahead on the ability to add and remove games once MyMenu is in place for everyone so I can have the update script handle things like taking a Top300 --> Top 500. Script options that give the user the ability to add optional things to the VHD like add Shareware to the Top 300, add Music, etc. Maybe even a full game selection where you curate your own VHD based on a selection of games you want.

Warning: If you rename your folders in Top 300 you will alienate yourself from all current and future automation and scripting unless your folder names you use are the exact folder names I use. So yes, you can go do it today following the above, just know that you will break the scripting which you might be okay with.

If you want to take the quick and dirty path, grab everything from that github above, throw it on the E: VHD, enable rename in MyMenu.ini and change the default location for Games to E:\GAMES\, open MyMenu and on each game, type ALT-R for rename and give the game the full name instead of the short name. You can reference this file for long file names but no guarantee that I will exactly match what you put.https://github.com/Voljega/ExoDOSConver ... oDOSv5.csv

Then it will basically work. Also, you could set DOAUTOSELECT=T in MyMenu.ini and also rename all 1_START.BAT files to AUTORUN.BAT and then games would boot when you select the folder from MyMenu.

Or you could wait for me... And my timeline is my timeline as I have a day job. ;-)
Although this doesn't sound all that complicated. There are many steps, knowing I could screw something up makes me nervous. Think I'll let you handle it. If/When MyMenu becomes compatible with top 300 I will download it. Until then TDL will have to hold me. I do love your interface for MyMenu Flynn. As an artist the colors really speaks to me, some of the game art like Earthworm Jim looks decent!!!

Thanks for reaching out!
Dreams don't die!
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

bbond007 wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:07 pm You say you are running it on your PC and make no mention of ao486. Hopefully that does not mean DOSBox as DOSBox is unfortunately incompatible with both DOSLFN and LFNDOS and does not natively implement software interrupt 0x21, functions 0x714e & 0x714f API (FindFirst & FindNext) for LFN.
I am using DOSBox (via D-Fend Reloaded frontend) but the filenames/directories in question were short already (from my TDL setups). I did change the "LFN=F" in the ini after your advice, but still get the "No Files" message after entering a game directory. Probably a problem with paths or something like that.

It's ok though, like I said I will stick with TDL for now - I only use these menus to quick-check games anyway, and then transfer the ones I like to old-school Dos Navigator-governed structure, dealing directly with unpacked directories. But, if you're interested in troubleshooting a user-case for your dev experience, I could provide more details.
bbond007
Top Contributor

akeley wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:26 pm I am using DOSBox (via D-Fend Reloaded frontend) but the filenames/directories in question were short already (from my TDL setups). I did change the "LFN=F" in the ini after your advice, but still get the "No Files" message after entering a game directory. Probably a problem with paths or something like that.
Even if the files are not longer than 8.3 characters, it will still say "No Files" if LFN=T in the INI and there is no LFN driver loaded...

If you could post your MyMenu.INI I could probably figure out what is going wrong. Its probably something simple.
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

bbond007 wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:22 pm If you could post your MyMenu.INI I could probably figure out what is going wrong. Its probably something simple.
Sure, here it is. Also:
-I extracted MyMenu-main from the git to E:\DOS\
-put game directories in E:\DOS\GAMES
-D-Fend/DOSBox is pointing to E:\DOS\MYMENU\MENU.BAT as the starting file
-D-Fend/DOSBox has E:\DOS\ mounted as C:
-later changed the LFN=T to LFN=F in the ini

sshot-2022-02-18-19-24-11.png
sshot-2022-02-18-19-24-11.png (11.21 KiB) Viewed 3427 times
sshot-2022-02-18-19-24-37.png
sshot-2022-02-18-19-24-37.png (8.07 KiB) Viewed 3427 times
bbond007
Top Contributor

akeley wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 6:30 pm
bbond007 wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:22 pm If you could post your MyMenu.INI I could probably figure out what is going wrong. Its probably something simple.
Sure, here it is. Also:
-I extracted MyMenu-main from the git to E:\DOS\
-put game directories in E:\DOS\GAMES
-D-Fend/DOSBox is pointing to E:\DOS\MYMENU\MENU.BAT as the starting file
-D-Fend/DOSBox has E:\DOS\ mounted as C:
-later changed the LFN=T to LFN=F in the ini
I don't see the .INI file...

I see that it is working because you see the game directory names.

Anyway, could you make sure you have these lines in the .INI file:

Code: Select all

#Launcher options -- add any extension here for them to show up in MyMenu
.EXE  =
.COM  =
.BAT  = COMSPEC /C
.COL  = 
Then in each of those game directories (123-TALK, 1843ANNO, etc.) verify that you have at least one file of extensions defined above or a subdirectory.

If they contain .ZIP files (or other compressed files), then you'll need either decompress the archive or to add a handler for .ZIP like:

Code: Select all

.ZIP = C:\UTILS\PKUNZIP.EXE 
If you get it working, you can actually have up to 11 character directory names (without using LFN) by renaming the directory like:

LIVINGSTONE = LIVINGST.ONE
PIT STOP II = PIT_STOP._II

It's still 8.3 but it just effects the presentation of directories when LFN is disabled.
MyMenuSFN.png
MyMenuSFN.png (12.61 KiB) Viewed 3720 times
Hope that helps...
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

Sorry, I zipped the ini file but of course forgot to attach it...

But I see the extesions you mention are in the ini already. And the directories contain unpacked files, and plenty of .exe and .com's there...
Attachments
MYMENU.zip
(1.83 KiB) Downloaded 119 times
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

try LFN=n
see if it fixes it
bbond007
Top Contributor

flynnsbit wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:01 pm try LFN=n
see if it fixes it
Pretty sure it won't help:

The logic only looks at the first char

y/Y & t/T = TRUE
Anything else = FALSE

Without LFN disabled it would not even show the directory names in C:\GAMES like in the screen grab...

Another long shot is to try the newest version which is the one I'll do some testing with. I'm honestly surprised this is not working :shock:

I'm hopping in the future I can fix DOSBox to support LFN properly.
MYMENU.zip
(38.36 KiB) Downloaded 125 times
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

dosbox-x_BIqVNUZQ8L.gif
dosbox-x_BIqVNUZQ8L.gif (363.61 KiB) Viewed 3652 times
Do this, you edited your INI using an editor that which changed all the line feeds from CRLF to LF. just open the mymenu.ini in dos with edit and then save it. then try again. Simply opening it with edit in dosbox and saving will be enough to fix it.

Yours before, and after saving with EDIT.
notepad++_Z744l0YUky.gif
notepad++_Z744l0YUky.gif (513.05 KiB) Viewed 3643 times
Curious now what you used to edit the mymenu.ini file with?
bbond007
Top Contributor

flynnsbit wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 2:00 am Do this, you edited your INI using an editor that which changed all the line feeds from CRLF to LF. just open the mymenu.ini in dos with edit and then save it. then try again. Simply opening it with edit in dosbox and saving will be enough to fix it.
Thanks, Good work!

I guess what it is doing is parsing the INI up to LFN=N but not far enough to get to the handlers for .COM, .EXE, etc...

That is a pain point I won't forget now...
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

Alright then, I did edit/save the ini in ao486, then dragged it back to Windows and now it's working. I'd used the standard Windows Notepad to edit it before.
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

akeley wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:33 pm Alright then, I did edit/save the ini in ao486, then dragged it back to Windows and now it's working. I'd used the standard Windows Notepad to edit it before.
Switch to Notepad++ to save yourself headaches in the future. Glad we found it.