Network card

For topics which do not fit in other specific forums.
c_k

Network card

Unread post by c_k »

Hello,

Is it possible for someone to code a network card for the cores to use?

I think the Amiga would be something like a PCMCIA NE2000?

Thank you!
cursedverses

Re: Network card

Unread post by cursedverses »

Which core in particular are you thinking of? Certain cores (AO486, Amiga, Atari(?)) have networking ability. You'll have to search around this forum and/or YouTube but the info is there.
darksakul

Unread post by darksakul »

cursedverses wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:47 pm Which core in particular are you thinking of? Certain cores (AO486, Amiga, Atari(?)) have networking ability. You'll have to search around this forum and/or YouTube but the info is there.
To add to your comment, the AO486, Amiga, and Atari ST cores already can use the existing DE 10 Nano's Ethernet port or WiFi USB for networking.
No need for an additional networking card, unless the OP has something very specific in mind.
It is my great regret that we live in an age that is proud of machines that think and suspicious of people who try to.
Solskogen

Unread post by Solskogen »

None of the cores have ethernet (at least not yet), but they do support TCPIP over PPP. Perhaps PPP is enough for you, or is there a spesific reason why need ethernet on the cores?
Bas
Top Contributor

Unread post by Bas »

Having an emulated NE2000 would be interesting for OS'es that expect such networking like Windows NT, flavors of UNIX, Novell Netware etc. So "need" is a very strong word, but it'd still be appreciated.
Solskogen

Bas wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:57 am Having an emulated NE2000 would be interesting for OS'es that expect such networking like Windows NT, flavors of UNIX, Novell Netware etc. So "need" is a very strong word, but it'd still be appreciated.
I agree with you. With a emulated network card the setup on the core's would be easier. That said, if OP just wanted a network connection to either AO486, Amiga or ST, the support is already there with PPP :-)
c_k

Unread post by c_k »

Hi everyone,

I have read that the serial port offered is limited to 115200bps, that’s why I thought a basic NE2000 (high compatibility) Ethernet card would make sense for higher throughput.

Is there really already an actual network card available to use in something like minimig that operates faster than the serial port offered?

Thanks!
Solskogen

c_k wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:25 am Is there really already an actual network card available to use in something like minimig that operates faster than the serial port offered?
No.
c_k

Unread post by c_k »

Solskogen wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:47 am
c_k wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:25 am Is there really already an actual network card available to use in something like minimig that operates faster than the serial port offered?
No.
I thought that was the case, hence my starting this topic.

It seemed to be implied by some of the responses.

Well, getting back the the original question then - it sure would be good to have something faster than a serial port at 115200bps - something like a generic network card that is universally supported would be perfect.