OK to share custom core builds?

Discussion of developmental aspects of the MiSTer Project.
justaguy

OK to share custom core builds?

Unread post by justaguy »

I've made a number of custom core builds with changes that probably wouldn't get accepted into upstream, but that I feel might be useful to others. Would it be OK to share them as attachments here with the obvious caveat that they aren't supported by the MiSTer devs?
lomdar67

Re: OK to share custom core builds?

Unread post by lomdar67 »

I think it would be best to put them on GitHub. There one can subscribe to updates and so can follow updates much more easy than here in the forum. Also bug reports are more efficient on GitHub than here.

And when you put them on GitHub, script authors can include them easily in their update scripts.
We raise hopes here...until they're old enough to fend for themselves.
--Mike Callahan
justaguy

lomdar67 wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:31 am I think it would be great to put them on GitHub. There one can subscribe to updates and so can follow updates much more easy than here in the forum. Also bug reports are more efficient on GitHub than here.

And when you put them on GitHub, script authors can include them easily in their update scripts.
I'd absolutely do that if there was enough interest from the community, I just want to test the waters with a lower-effort distribution method first.
kolla

Unread post by kolla »

Well, what cores, custom how?
justaguy

kolla wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:48 am Well, what cores, custom how?
I've got a bunch of ideas, but here's what I've done so far:
  • Changed around some values and menu options in the NES, SNES, Genesis, and MegaCD cores to enable integer scaling at 1440p, see this post for more details on what I'm trying to accomplish.
  • Made a small change to the GBA core (more specifically, the MiSTer framework code within the GBA core) to enable fullscreen output at 9x with a custom resolution of 2160x1440 in MiSTer.ini.
suverman

Unread post by suverman »

It sounds very interesting and would be nice if you could actually get it to be in the official build - however the devs who work on the specific part of mister might have better idea if something is maintainable or not and if not accepted you might have to keep updating your fork with each release of the core / framework since MiSTer is very much a moving train.
WolfgangBlack

Unread post by WolfgangBlack »

justaguy wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:27 am I've got a bunch of ideas, but here's what I've done so far:
  • Changed around some values and menu options in the NES, SNES, Genesis, and MegaCD cores to enable integer scaling at 1440p, see this post for more details on what I'm trying to accomplish.
  • Made a small change to the GBA core (more specifically, the MiSTer framework code within the GBA core) to enable fullscreen output at 9x with a custom resolution of 2160x1440 in MiSTer.ini.
Those wold be welcome additions to the cores so it sounds like you just need to talk with the main devs for those cores and work it out.