Multiplayer/Split Screen Games

amstan

Multiplayer/Split Screen Games

Unread post by amstan »

Hello!

I'm going to a lan party soon, planning to bring my MiSTer along. I wanted to know if there are any good games that could be played multiplayer with just one mister.
I currently have the 300 dos game pack (thanks flynnsbit!) setup, so it would be handy if it's from there.

I'm also open to other dos games or even other cores (as long as they don't require the ram module, since I don't have one of those yet),

I'm guessing such games would be easier played with multiple usb keyboards attached (one per player), is this a known setup that people do? I hope there will be no cheating (tripping up the other player by pressing their movement keys on your own keyboard).
bbond007
Top Contributor

Re: Multiplayer/Split Screen Games

Unread post by bbond007 »

Lotus: The Ultimate Challenge
Tyrian

Joysticks should be no problem, however, multiple USB keyboards should work but I don't know of a (good) way to prevent cheating via KB controls. It might work to redefine the opposing controls on each KB to something that does nothing, however that would be pretty tedious to do (and undo/redo) per game.
darkavengerbr

Unread post by darkavengerbr »

Not wanting to hijack this thread but...
I couldnt setup Tyrian to work in my mister with the top300 dos pack.
Any hints for the config?
bbond007
Top Contributor

Unread post by bbond007 »

darkavengerbr wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:09 pm Not wanting to hijack this thread but...
You could ask in the "eXo/Flynn Top 300 DOS Pack Updates and Support" thread --> viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1531

It did at least work at one point though, I made a video of it working multi-player (using 2 MiSTer's networked, not one) but that video predates the T300 pack. I was probably using DOS 6.22 with QEMM 8.3 but no telling what my config was :) --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_zZQl7AWis&t=31s

Anyway, perhaps switching the memory manager configuration would help, or slowing the core down as my video was made before FPGAzumSpass added the L2 cache to the core...
darkavengerbr

Unread post by darkavengerbr »

bbond007 wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:32 am
darkavengerbr wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:09 pm Not wanting to hijack this thread but...
You could ask in the "eXo/Flynn Top 300 DOS Pack Updates and Support" thread --> viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1531

It did at least work at one point though, I made a video of it working multi-player (using 2 MiSTer's networked, not one) but that video predates the T300 pack. I was probably using DOS 6.22 with QEMM 8.3 but no telling what my config was :) --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_zZQl7AWis&t=31s

Anyway, perhaps switching the memory manager configuration would help, or slowing the core down as my video was made before FPGAzumSpass added the L2 cache to the core...
Thanks , I already had asked there in the support thread, but had no answer.
Going to try your tips.
thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

amstan wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:05 pm I'm also open to other dos games or even other cores (as long as they don't require the ram module, since I don't have one of those yet),
Spy vs. Spy maybe? I am not sure if the Mario Bros arcade core requires the ram module or any of the two player shootem ups? The Genesis core doesn't require the ram module.

Since it is a LAN party, it would be cool if Doom worked with multiple MiSTer's using IPX. I have no idea if this could even work or not, but probably not using native IPX with other real PC's. After thinking about it, definitely not unless the network card is added to the FPGA. I used to play Doom and Quake at LAN parties back in the day.
Wave

Unread post by Wave »

How about Scorched Earth?
she/her
Caldor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Caldor »

Multiplayer games for DOS:

Worms
Lotus
Scorched Earth
Battle Chess
Bubble Bobble
Civilization
Gorillas
The Settlers (although not sure if its possible to get two mouse working for this core yet and its required)
Bomberman
Street Fighter II
Time Bandit
Ugh!
Wacky Wheels
Bruce Lee

Not sure how many of these are in the top 300 pack though.