USB hub randomly not turning on?

AtomicShroom

USB hub randomly not turning on?

Unread post by AtomicShroom »

Hmmm lately my MiSTer (from Ultimate Mister) has started doing something strange. Every once in a while when I start it up, it turns on and everything but the USB hub appears to not turn on. No lights on the ports turn on and the controllers get no response. Turn it off, turn it back on, now it works fine. Not a big deal since it rarely happens but it’s still annoying.

Any idea what the problem might be?
callanabrown

Re: USB hub randomly not turning on?

Unread post by callanabrown »

My USB hub has stopped working with some newer update. I remember this happened a few months ago, and it was fine until a few weeks ago.
DiamondDave

Unread post by DiamondDave »

Mine used to do this as well (maybe 1 out of every 8 times I turned it on), but now that you mention it I don't think it's happened to me for several months. No clue why it started happening or how it stopped
Wave

Unread post by Wave »

I'm curious if y'all use inline power switches to turn the system on and off? It's been suggested that the voltage drop these apparently cause can be damaging to the MiSTer over time.
she/her
Spuddle

Unread post by Spuddle »

Wave wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:44 am I'm curious if y'all use inline power switches to turn the system on and off? It's been suggested that the voltage drop these apparently cause can be damaging to the MiSTer over time.
I too heard this when I first set up my mister, but because of position of my power inlets etc, wasn't really practical for me not to have inline switch..that was nearly 3 years ago.
Haven't had any problems (touch wood) with my 5v 4a supply.
caad

Unread post by caad »

I had this issue for a long time, until I wired up a high quality externally powered USB hub. Still don't know why it happens, but the DE-10 USB OTG setup doesn't seem to be very stable.
annette

Unread post by annette »

AtomicShroom wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:37 am Hmmm lately my MiSTer (from Ultimate Mister)
Any idea what the problem might be?
Problem with forked pins are not making good contact i read about it before here viewtopic.php?p=28652#p28652
callanabrown

I've figured out that if I plug in my hub after the MiSTer is on, all the devices are properly detected and everything works fine. Just sucks because my MiSTer is in a custom case that's screwed shut haha.
OnCor

Unread post by OnCor »

I had an issue with one of my USB hubs a while back where it stopped working after a Linux update. There is a potential "fix" in the thread below that might help others with similar problems.

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=3168
callanabrown

I tried those fixes to no avail. I'll have to just chalk it up to my particular hub arrangement! I have a second mister with a working hub so I'll probably just buy another one of that exact model to be safe.
chris

Unread post by chris »

My hub stopped working last night after replacing the SD card. The only other change lately is I've added the BT/WiFi dongle to my setup. It's extremely frustrating, but interesting to hear others are having the same issue suddenly.
callanabrown

Just as a follow up, I'm thinking my problem was to do with power. I unplugged my MT32-pi and the USB hub issue was resolved.
retro

Unread post by retro »

Wave wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:44 am I'm curious if y'all use inline power switches to turn the system on and off? It's been suggested that the voltage drop these apparently cause can be damaging to the MiSTer over time.
So you're saying having two separate power bricks, one each for the DE10-Nano and the USB hub, is preferred?

I am currently using these three items for my MiSTer, with the power connected to the USB hub an the DE10-Nano. No power is connected to the Digital IO Board
I initially thought it was a problem with my USB hub, and went to buy another but I still got the same results.
ItalianGrandma

Unread post by ItalianGrandma »

callanabrown wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:41 pm Just as a follow up, I'm thinking my problem was to do with power. I unplugged my MT32-pi and the USB hub issue was resolved.
Glad you got it working! Are you using the power adapter that came with the DE-10 Nano? It could be that you might want to upgrade to something like a 5V 3A or 5V 4A power supply from Meanwell or Triad if so.
callanabrown

I have a 4A power supply but I'm using a big honkin' in-line switch that I think is to blame. If I design a new case, I'm going to put a 5V power supply inside it and put a switch on a 9-12V input instead like most electronics do.