I accidently destroyed a surface mount component from my DE10-Nano pcb

Showcase builds, discuss cases, embedding MiSTer into existing computer cases.
xav2075

I accidently destroyed a surface mount component from my DE10-Nano pcb

Unread post by xav2075 »

Because I was clumsy in fitting my DE10-Nano into a case I 3D printed I destroyed a surface mount device from the underside of the circuit board. After I did that the USB OTG port stopped working. So the board could boot into MiSTer but no keyboard or joypad would work with it.

I do some hobby electronics but I have no hands on experience with SMD components. From doing a google the type of device I destroyed is a capacitor because the middle of the package is coloured brown. Could someone tell me what the value of the capacitor in farads?

The SMD component i destroyed is highlighted by a yellow arrow at the top left of the image.

D7Mj0fz.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FPGAzumSpass
Core Developer

Re: I accidently destroyed a surface mount component from my DE10-Nano pcb

Unread post by FPGAzumSpass »

According to schematics
(found here: https://www.terasic.com.tw/cgi-bin/page ... 6&PartNo=4)
It is C85.

That's a 0,1u, 16V capacitor used for USB Voltage.
c85.png
I would expect the USB to still function, unless you have a short there or damaged the other Cs, too.
But better wait for the expert opinions on that guess.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hodor

Unread post by Hodor »

Soldering such a tiny SMD component is not an easy matter I´m afraid. I wish you luck with the job though maybe someone more experienced near you can help.
Grabulosaure
Core Developer

Unread post by Grabulosaure »

I would suggest to do nothing, unless the damaged capacitor is in short-circuit.
These are decoupling capacitors, they are in parallel to reduce noise.
xav2075

Unread post by xav2075 »

I desoldered the remains of the destroyed capacitor using a USB microscope. So I think I could be ok soldering in a replacement.

One the replies mentioned it might be a capacitor in parallel to reduce noise. I had a similar thought and wondered is this really the cause of why the USB otg port is no longer working. I had a look for other missing components but I could not find anything missing looking through the USB microscope.

The USB serial port is recognized when plugged into my Windows 10 PC. I can get a serial console to read the debug output of the board. But it seems I can't use the console to write output to the board. Like logging in as root to get a command line.
xav2075

Unread post by xav2075 »

I dont think the USB micro connector is faulty because I tested for 5V at the connector solder points near 'HPS USB OTG' text on the board. And there was no 5V present. There is 5V elsewhere on the board including on the GPIO connectors.

And I have tried using a powered USB hub to try and get keyboard and joypad working but that did not work.
xav2075

Unread post by xav2075 »

I got a working serial terminal to the board running Mister. dmesg log had 3 particulary interesting messages:

[ 0.093581] sopc@0:usbphy@0 supply vcc not found, using dummy regulator
[ 0.897276] ffb40000.usb supply vusb_d not found, using dummy regulator
[ 0.903912] ffb40000.usb supply vusb_a not found, using dummy regulator

With a datasheet I checked the 7 power pins on the USB3300 ic and they all had the right voltages when the board was powered

My DE10-Nano board differs from the offical schematic in that U7 is not a TPS2553DRVR IC but instead is a 5 pin smd device labelled 'U3D HG'.

On the electronics side I am definitely a novice and poking around in the dark with this problem.
xav2075

Unread post by xav2075 »

I found a way to get USBIP working to an extent. Basically I could share a USB keyboard from another computer running Debian Linux and have my DE10-Nano act as a USBIP client and use the shared usb keyboard. I can navigate around the Mister core menu but when I try to launch any core Mister freezes and so does the serial usb console that I have open on my WIndows PC using Putty.
Gymcrash

Unread post by Gymcrash »

Is there any way you can use alternative input via the GPIO pins or how people use the SNAC interfaces for their console controllers?
xav2075

Unread post by xav2075 »

I have a Mister IO board that has the USB serial port. So I could connect a original console joypad if I got a SNAC board interface. But I still would need a way to connect a keyboard. As I understand it a SNAC board can only support 1 original console joypad device. There is the blisster board that has its own USB controller and connects through the Mister IO board serial interface. But I am not spending £70 for that.

It would take about 100 lines of code for Mister to support PS2 keyboard. But I guess that would not be 'efficient' programming just to add a feature to Mister that I and a very few number of people would use.

If Mister would work with USBIP then I would be happy. Btw I got the extra files for a USBIP client from a Raspberry Pi 2 that also uses arm7l linux 32 bit software architechture.