DosZip (Filemanager/shell) crashing when trying to change drives

Shogun

DosZip (Filemanager/shell) crashing when trying to change drives

Unread post by Shogun »

Something weird happened today after spending some time messing with memory management, config.sys, and autoexec.bat to get things cleaned up and set up so misterfs would run at boot all of a sudden DosZip stopped functioning when I try to browse to another drive. I reverted everything back to how it was before today and its still happening so I can't figure out why it just started happening all of a sudden. I've been using this file manager as a way to easily copy files from my misterfs drive for over a year now.

Issue is occurring across multiple versions of this app:

http://reimagery.com/fsfd/bin/fileman2/dzbin354.zip (move up the directory to view all drives and it crashes. Misterfpga menu still functions fine.
Screen where the crash occurs when browsing to view all drive letters ont he left panel:

VtnBVEJ.png
VtnBVEJ.png (11.28 KiB) Viewed 675 times

Also tried this version of the software as well:
https://github.com/nidud/doszip

You can't click the two dots to navigate to see all drives so you have to go file>change drive and it will crash then.

Anyone have any ideas why this is happening all of a sudden? I've reverted all my configs back to how they were when the program worked fine. I don't have any floppy or cd files loaded. I tried expanded, extended, and conventional memory with no change. I can navigate just fine in dos to all the drives.
akeley
Top Contributor

Re: DosZip (Filemanager/shell) crashing when trying to change drives

Unread post by akeley »

I don't know why, but I've always had issues with Doszip. Lock ups when using mouse, going up to drive list, not saving docs after changes, weird "Not enough space" messages.
user7182

Unread post by user7182 »

What your describing sounds like what happens when you are running a memory manager like EMM386 and haven't excluded the CE00-CFFF memory range which misterfs uses.
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

It may well be the reason, though I mostly use the boot vhd from flynnsbit's pack, and its autoexec/config look quite advanced. I also don't recall these problems occuring when using Dos Navigator.

I'll have a closer look at it later, could be worth investigating.
Shogun

Unread post by Shogun »

I moved on to using dos navigator which works fine so it was just doszip that was the culprit.

I also tried
necromancer dos navigator - wouldn't start
HFM - couldn't figure out how to use it,
open source dos navigator - slower than the regular version but otherwise works
FW135 - looked promising but couldn't navigate to misterfs drive, minor graphical issues