Is there an I/O board that supports component/composite video for a CRT TV?

Just got a MiSTer and need some help? Join the forum and post your questions here!
athenian200

Is there an I/O board that supports component/composite video for a CRT TV?

Unread post by athenian200 »

I'm new to the concept of MiSTer and I've noticed there are various parts you can mix and match. It seems like all the I/O boards out there only have VGA output (which is not ideal since I'm looking for component video). I do have an old CRT computer monitor I could use with the VGA plug if I have to, but I kinda wanted to use my old Sony 480i CRT television with a component input since I already have my retro gaming setup on that.

This is going to sound like a total n00b question... but how are you meant to use this? Do they recommend you to translate VGA to component with some kind of cable, or do they prefer you just straight-up use a VGA-based computer monitor instead of a TV to avoid any potential issues? Which scenario was this designed around? I know that some analog devices are designed around 15kHz (a TV), and others are designed around 31.5kHz (a VGA monitor), and I'm basically wondering which one the MiSTer tends to "prefer" and would therefore have the least issues across the board. There's even an off-chance the VGA output could be designed around some weird 24kHz arcade monitor instead of either of those and therefore only be suitable for an arcade cabinet.

My guess initially is that a VGA monitor would be a better bet and that it would take extra cables and a bit of software trickery to get it working with a normal TV, but I want to be sure what I'm getting into before I invest in this.
dmckean

Re: Is there an I/O board that supports component/composite video for a CRT TV?

Unread post by dmckean »

To use component with the analog board you need a cable like this one:

https://misteraddons.com/products/video ... 3472225413

You would also need to turn on the sync on green switch and update a few settings in the mister.ini file.