How to save RAM backups?

bix1966

How to save RAM backups?

Unread post by bix1966 »

Hi everyone,

I need your help and advice to get the Zelda link to the past saves for SNES to work.

I read some info but I didn't quite understand what to do?

I started playing and I made a first save (both in the game and with F12 - Save Backup RAM), I continued the game taking objects and moving on and I saved again with F12 - Save Backup RAM. I turned off the Mister FPGA and I loaded the SNES Zelda link to the past game again and with F12 - Load Backup RAM I thought (I hoped) to find all the objects and what was done and saved but instead I always find myself in what was saved the first time, therefore losing all advances. Can you explain to me how to save the progress of this game that foresees being able to manage the saves?

Thank you
AngelicLiver

Re: How to save RAM backups?

Unread post by AngelicLiver »

SRAM (.srm) files should be found in /media/fat/saves/SNES with the format <romname>.srm, I would check that directory to ensure your saves are being updated.

Just to be clear; this is SRAM not savestates. Loading SRAM will load the cartridge SRAM not system work RAM. ALTTP SRAM also only tracks some things, not everything. It will retain your rupees, inventory, hearts, progress etc. but not some things like pots smashed, bombed walls and your absolute position in the world, it will start you from a checkpointed position. Usually the last interior/exterior entrance.

It might be worth turning on autosaving and testing that's working between restarts. The OSD button will light-up when new SRAM data is ready to be written to disk (if you have an IO board), pressing F12/OSD will actually save. You can then check this has persisted by power cycling.
bix1966

Unread post by bix1966 »

Thanks a lot for the answer.
I immediately check the folder you indicated to me and see what has been saved. Anyway yes, I am aware that the rupees, hearts etc will be saved and I will be started from a checkpoint location (for example the sanctuary or home of Zelda) but it would suit me already well given the vastness of the game
bix1966

Unread post by bix1966 »

Hello everyone, with the advice of AngelicLiver, I checked the saves and I saw that the thing is much simpler. In fact, Zelda link to the past, allows you to save the game at any time and this save (NOT the savestates) that we will find every time we start playing again. So, remember, whenever you want to end a game, do "save and exit" from the appropriate button on the pad
bix1966

Unread post by bix1966 »

Hi everyone, me again ....
I can't get the Zelda link to the past game saves to work on the Mister FPGA and the SNES core .... Last update, in the / media / fat / saves / SNES folder I find the Zelda.sav file, the size is always 8 Kb and the date / time is really the one in which I last saved the game. But when I restart the game, I still don't understand why, I find myself an old save, in the sense that I can't find the gems, the bow, the bombs, the arrows and all the other objects that I had recovered in the game ... Obviously I have to redo all the game actions to recover what has NOT been saved. Please help me understand how to do these saves because the game is beautiful and the world to explore is quite large and always starting again not from the last saved position is a delirium ....
Thank you very much for your help
Phaedrus

Unread post by Phaedrus »

bix1966 wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:15 am I turned off the Mister FPGA and I loaded the SNES Zelda link to the past game again and with F12 - Load Backup RAM
I've never used the Load backup ram option once and the save data is always there as I expect it.

Maybe there is something wrong with your rom and or the save file. Try downloading a new rom file. And see if you can start a game and save it and load successfully. Or try renaming the save file and creating a new one to see if that one works better.
bix1966

Unread post by bix1966 »

Phaedrus wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 5:29 am
bix1966 wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:15 am I turned off the Mister FPGA and I loaded the SNES Zelda link to the past game again and with F12 - Load Backup RAM
I've never used the Load backup ram option once and the save data is always there as I expect it.

Maybe there is something wrong with your rom and or the save file. Try downloading a new rom file. And see if you can start a game and save it and load successfully. Or try renaming the save file and creating a new one to see if that one works better.
Thanks for the reply. I try to do what you advised me also because the same rom on Raspberry Pi400 (with Retropie) works well with regards to saving (and this is very strange ...). I could try to play another rom (even not Zelda) and see if she has the same problem with the saves
bix1966

Unread post by bix1966 »

Nothing ...
I can't get Zelda link to the past game saves to work on core SNES! I have tried them all but, after having performed the saves from within the game, if I try immediately I find the save I have all the elements I have found, the gems, the bombs, the arrows, etc. I turn off Mister FPGA, turn it back on, start the Zelda rom and find a previous save (by number of elements I found, gems, bombs, arrows, etc.), checking in the appropriate folder, the save shows data and time of the last save I made !! How is this possible ??? It seems that the new save can't overwrite the old one except as date and time .... Please help me to understand if it's my microSD problem or who knows what else or if it's a Core SNES problem. Help me by making a test you too with a Zelda link to the past rom on SNES and execute, randomly, some saves (I execute them with the select button of the joypad) and check when re-entering the game (both normally and after turning off and on the Mister FPGA) and kindly report what happens to you.
A thousand thanks
paulbnl
Core Developer

Unread post by paulbnl »

It sounds like it is loading from a different file than what it is saving to. Are you only using the sdcard or also a harddisk? How many save files are there in the saves folder for Zelda? What is the file name of the rom?
bix1966

Unread post by bix1966 »

As @AngelicLiver pointed out to me, the saves can be found in the folder / media / fat / saves / SNES with the format <romname> .srm. This is there and I can't find the saves in other places ... I only have the microSD where I have the MISTER FPGA cores, the roms and that's it. I had, connected to the Mister, a microSD with the information for the ZX spectrum Next. I removed it but the situation does not change, I only ever find a save with the old data (despite the date and time being that of the last save ...). I'm going crazy because the Mister FPGA is great and runs the SNES roms in a spectacular way. The same rom of Zelda, on Raspberry Pi400 and retropie works well (not like with Mister ....) and saves without problems ... I also did another test, I took another Zelda rom, I played and saved but in the end the result is always, unfortunately, the same ... I also opened a report on github, I hope someone tries to verify. ame it would be enough for someone to do some tests and give me some evidence, maybe it's my microSD that no longer works well even if this behavior only happens with Zelda and SNES core.
Phaedrus

Unread post by Phaedrus »

Can you test saving another game?

Maybe make a video of what you're doing? It seems like something is off.
bix1966

Unread post by bix1966 »

Phaedrus wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:41 am Can you test saving another game?

Maybe make a video of what you're doing? It seems like something is off.
You're right, I try another SNES game that has the ability to save. Then I make a video of what I do in Zelda and try to post it if it's not too big. Thanks for your advice