USB Hub 2.1 incompatible with 8-bitdo M30 bluetooth when wired?

redsteakraw

USB Hub 2.1 incompatible with 8-bitdo M30 bluetooth when wired?

Unread post by redsteakraw »

So the 8Bitdo M30 has a usb type c port. It worked just fine on my external hub but since I got the new 2.1 hub board it seems to work with everything but that controller. I tried different modes and tried different cables and tried different ports but it doesn't seem to matter. When I press start to activate the controller the LED light on the usb port it is plugged into blinks but no input is received. I tried to define buttons again but I can press right on the dpad all I want it doesn't work. Is this a problem with USB Type C devices? My custom made Daemonbite Arduino pro nano joystick with working coin mech works like a charm as it did with the external hub that device is using a stock micro usb cable. Is this a power issue, I have the stock power supply with a split barrel plug adapter. Only joysticks and keyboards are hooked up so there shouldn't be any big power draws. I am upgrading to to 4 Amp power supply. Does anyone have any thoughts or can replicate this issue?
Fear is the mind killer!
redsteakraw

Re: USB Hub 2.1 incompatible with 8-bitdo M30 bluetooth when wired?

It looks like this is also an issue with the usb wireless adapter. I think this may be some incompatibility between 8-bitdo and the hub board.

The following is a similar problem with the same board but with the usb wireless adapter.
https://www.reddit.com/r/fpgagaming/com ... th_8bitdo/
Fear is the mind killer!
misterious

Unread post by misterious »

I've the exact same problem with the 8bitdo SN30-PRO + the usb hub but I never used it with anything else than MiSTer so I was thinking it simply wasn't working with the usbc cable (!) also I've problems with wireless adapter (the red brick) , It works fine till an hard reset, then you've to unplug it , plug it and reissue the bluetooth search (pressing select) to use it

very annoying
redsteakraw

misterious wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:11 pm I've the exact same problem with the 8bitdo SN30-PRO + the usb hub but I never used it with anything else than MiSTer so I was thinking it simply wasn't working with the usbc cable (!) also I've problems with wireless adapter (the red brick) , It works fine till an hard reset, then you've to unplug it , plug it and reissue the bluetooth search (pressing select) to use it

very annoying
I found a fix, this is some weirdness with the USB ports and it interacting with other devices. you may have to re-arrange your ports I have a Daemonbite Arcade stick, the M30 and a Logitech k400 universal wireless adapter. I found that everything would work if two of them are plugged in but not if all three. So the setup I found that works is if you have the ethernet port as the front. Then plug the 8-bitdo in the front port. Plug your keyboard in the right side rear port and plug what other joystick you may have in the left side rear port.
Fear is the mind killer!
misterious

nop, it doesn't work for me, I tried all the combinations but after an hard reset the joypad is always stuck, I also tried with the usbc cable but that simply doesn't work, the leds keep sliding back and forth forever. The only viable solution for me are soft resets (changing cores on the fly) or simply using a ps4 joypad (but I usually cannot) :/
redsteakraw

misterious wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:38 pm nop, it doesn't work for me, I tried all the combinations but after an hard reset the joypad is always stuck, I also tried with the usbc cable but that simply doesn't work, the leds keep sliding back and forth forever. The only viable solution for me are soft resets (changing cores on the fly) or simply using a ps4 joypad (but I usually cannot) :/
I found what the problem was with my setup, my logitech universal wireless adapter was messing with the 8bitdo controller. That and the 8bitdo controller doesn't like being next to another joystick so leaving a gap is good. I was able to get a reliable setup if the adapter is plugged in after the system boots up or resets. What other devices are in your setup?
Fear is the mind killer!
misterious

>What other devices are in your setup?

I usually use a usb2 hub for keyboard/mouse connected to the standard powered 7 ports usb hub (just to avoid plugging 2 devices) , the 8bitdo wireless adapter (the red brick) and the sn30 pro (latest firmware) , nothing fancy, most of the time I don't even use mouse/keyboard . Initially I had a basic not powered otg hub (7euro on amazon) and I don't remember having the hard reset problem but honestly I'm not 100% sure, after I broke the mister's micro usb connector by accident, I replaced it and bought the more expensive but safer usb hub
misterious

*UPDATE*

the cable issue is fixed, basically I just replaced the usb-c cable that comes with the SN30-PRO with another USBA-USBC I bought in a chinese shop to charge a mobile phone :X I couldn't believe the gamepad worked flawlessly, the bt dongle still gets stuck but ok...
Shuffle7

Unread post by Shuffle7 »

I’m having issues last few days - found and reading back this .. usb hub and the wireless adaptor sometimes doesn’t work then does etc.. now the 8bit wired controller is playing up . So I will try the combinations mentioned and report back !

I thought it was to do with the recent Linux updates. But My wifi dongle has always played up . Powering up mister gets it going. Annoying
retro

Unread post by retro »

Shuffle7 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:58 pm I’m having issues last few days - found and reading back this .. usb hub and the wireless adaptor sometimes doesn’t work then does etc.. now the 8bit wired controller is playing up . So I will try the combinations mentioned and report back !

I thought it was to do with the recent Linux updates. But My wifi dongle has always played up . Powering up mister gets it going. Annoying
How has this been going for you?

I am using an 8bitdo M30 2.4GHz controller with the MiSTer, and my USB hub has been randomly not powering the USB adapter... not sure if it's the same as what you're experiencing since you're talking about a wired connection to the Bluetooth version of the controller.
Shuffle7

Unread post by Shuffle7 »

Since the Linux updates a few months back , can’t remember when it was now a few months back, the usb problems ie wifi dongle not working when rebooting , and 8 bit do not connecting - it’s all been rectified. It took a few Linux updates whatever soreleg did has resolved it !