Mega CD Sega CD Cheat Repository

Slade

Mega CD Sega CD Cheat Repository

Unread post by Slade »

After a lengthy discussion with Sorgelig, and the fixing of a few bugs in the SegaCD core, we now have properly working cheats for all memory locations. I'm not sure if this new version is out yet for general public consumption. I can be found on the GitHub page in the issues thread I started.

Unfortunately gamehacking.org outputs malformed and broken cheats. Having chatted with them, I don't think that's going to get fixed anytime soon. So I took it upon myself to start writing cheats for these games, and wrote some software that converts the EmuHawk/BizHawk cheat files to compatible GameGenie files for MiSTer.

I'm going through the game in alphabetical order, although I may skip one or two if I, either cannot figure out the gameplay, find it completely boring, or cannot workout what cheats would apply.

I generally play a game to either completion, on both the emulator and MiSTer, to make sure the cheats work, or play enough of the game to make sure everything works as it should. This is both a benefit and a negative. You'll know the cheats work, but it makes it much slower to create them.

If a cheat file has a readme, please read it. Some cheats may have specific requirements.

If you find any bugs, please open a ticket and I'll look into it. I may forget to test for two players at times, so please point that out. Please don't post requests. I'll get to games over the coming weeks / months. My full time job is still quite busy, and I don't get a lot of spare time.

Just download the cheats you need / want and drop them into the game folder in the zip file. Eventually I'll start doing "releases" with a zip of all the files.

The files can be found here: https://github.com/Slade1972/SegaCD-Cheats-MiSTer/
djsquare

Re: Mega CD Sega CD Cheat Repository

Unread post by djsquare »

This is awesome. Thank you so much for all work you put into this
Slade

Unread post by Slade »

My pleasure. I've never done any Sega cheats before. It's a lot more of a challenge compared to GBA cheats, or even arcade cheats. The Sega CD has 3 banks of ram, and programmers did some interesting things. Hopefully I can knock over a few more game today. +1 for weekends in lockdown. Very little else to do.
Flashback

Unread post by Flashback »

Thank you for this! I tried a few games that cheats were not working prior, but are now working great. I hope you decide to do this for Soul Star... great game that I would love to play through again.
Slade

Unread post by Slade »

I test all the cheats before posting them to make sure they work correctly on MiSTer. It takes time, a lot of time :)

I don't know Soul Star (I have it), and I'm sure I'll get to it eventually. If it's an RPG, I will admit, I'm not a fan of them. Although I do try to go through the game as best as possible. I tried some Japanese games, but they're both RPG's, and well.. I don't read Japanese, and I couldn't work them out well enough. They'll just have to wait or get missed, sadly.
RalphJB

Unread post by RalphJB »

I really hope you do get to some of the RPG's like Shining Force and Vay. Dark Wizard too.
Slade

Unread post by Slade »

RalphJB wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:45 am I really hope you do get to some of the RPG's like Shining Force and Vay. Dark Wizard too.
Shining Force and Vay will have to wait a while, I'm going through games in alphabetical order. I'll get to Dark Wizard well before I get to the others. RPG's will slow me down, for two reasons: 1/ I don't really enjoy them and 2/ In order to cheat on them, you usually have to play for hours to unlock all the characters, etc.

With these sorts of games, it's always a 'wait and see' approach. I may do some basic cheats, and come back to it later, rather than being hung up for days on it.
commander

Unread post by commander »

thanks too. Go on! Cheats are ruling ;-)
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

This is great! Thanks!
birdybro~
Slade

Unread post by Slade »

I've been trying to get one game done a day. Sometimes this happens, sometimes it doesn't.

Weekends I have more time. Not much else to do in lockdown.
commander

Unread post by commander »

thanks for all the cheats. Hope you will have time to make more. As far as i can see you are currenty at letter E
GO ON!
Captain FPGA

Unread post by Captain FPGA »

Has anyone gotten Amazing Spider-Man vs the Kingpin (USA) to work? I can't seem to get it to work all of the other MegaCD games work fine with cheats.
Dreams don't die!