Is screen tilt possible with the HDMI buffer?

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
JayBee

Is screen tilt possible with the HDMI buffer?

Unread post by JayBee »

I am currently exploring the possibilities of making an open source portable MiSTer, and I found a possible screen for it.
It has a resolution of 1440x1600@60Hz (just under the max HDMI bandwidth limit), probably the same as the one used in a recent very hard to get portable device :lol:
I was able to create a custom video mode for it and it works nicely, but as you might have guessed already, it has one big flaw; the screen is actually vertical, not horizontal :?

So I was wondering if there was a way to tilt the screen globally with the HDMI framebuffer.
I won't be using framerate match functions (I am already limited to vsync_adjust=0 with that screen).
Of course I understand that it's probably not currently implemented on MiSTer, and cores maybe won't like it, I just wanted to know if it was possible/doable or if I'd better go for a natively horizontal 1080p screen instead.

lexthehex

Re: Is screen tilt possible with the HDMI buffer?

Unread post by lexthehex »

You can rotate the framebuffer globally by using osd_rotate in MiSTer.ini.
Set it to 0 for no rotation, 1 to rotate right through 90 degrees, and 2 to rotate left. So far I haven't found any way to rotate the display for each core, so this is of limited use. Can anyone else help?
JayBee

Unread post by JayBee »

It doesn't rotate the framebuffer tho, it just tilts the osd ;)
JayBee

Unread post by JayBee »

Since screen tilt is not a simple thing to do, and it's an uncommon use case scenario, nobody seems to be interested in it, which I can totally understand.
I also contacted several distributors for those screens, and they aren't interested either in making them horizontal oriented in hardware, and just tell me to change the tilt in windows/Linux...
Well, I guess I'll have to go to the 1080p route then.
lexthehex

Unread post by lexthehex »

It's a neat idea though - it reminds me of portrait-aspect Apple Macs of the early 90s. Arcade games that use a portrait mode would look better on such a screen.
JayBee

Unread post by JayBee »

lexthehex wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:48 am It's a neat idea though - it reminds me of portrait-aspect Apple Macs of the early 90s. Arcade games that use a portrait mode would look better on such a screen.
Yeah I'm sure it can work with arcade games in portrait mode.
But it's not really the goal here, what I want to do is being able to tilt it in landscape instead to be able to play every other games on it ;)