8BitDo M30 2.4G Cloned inputs & Button not Registering?

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
BlockABoots

8BitDo M30 2.4G Cloned inputs & Button not Registering?

Unread post by BlockABoots »

So im trying to use the 8BitDo M30 2.4G version, but 1 of the function buttons doesn't seem to be registered and 2 buttons seem to do the same function. The small 'Star' button on the pad (below the start button to the right) doesn't seem to register an input at all when trying to configure buttons form the MiSTer menu and the 'Minus' button (directly below the start button) seems to register the same button input as the 'Share' button (to the right of the 'minus' button)

Is there a way to get the 'Star' button to be registered and the 'Minus' and 'Share' buttons to be independent inputs??
darksakul

Re: 8BitDo M30 2.4G Cloned inputs & Button not Registering?

Unread post by darksakul »

The Star button is not an input, it's used to toggle turbo on other button inputs.
There no way to remap the Star button as it's hardwared in the controller.

The M30 2.4G version was made with the Genesis in mind, and all other uses were an afterthought.
The Minus and Heart/home button does the same thing, the same button is duplicated and only acts as two separate buttons on the Analogue Mega SG.

The buttons SHOULD work on the M30 Bluetooth version.
It is my great regret that we live in an age that is proud of machines that think and suspicious of people who try to.
Dafoof

Unread post by Dafoof »

There are ways to use the Star button, but not when you are in D-Input mode.
Have a look at this other thread for more information:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2413&p=24765
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

The TLDR: the 2.4ghz USB reciever for the m30 has three different input modes. Hold the following buttons for about 5 seconds to switch mode.

Home+Up: X-input
Home+Left: Nintendo Switch
Home+Down: D-input (Genesis mini)

On mister, X-input is recommended as it lets you map the minus button separately. But beware this will probably collide with any other x-input controller you may have mapped, since they have the same VID/PID (xbox 360.) I don't know if you can do anything with the star button though.
edr

Unread post by edr »

BlockABoots wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 5:36 pm Is there a way to get the 'Star' button to be registered and the 'Minus' and 'Share' buttons to be independent inputs??
Believe I saw this after updating to the latest firmware on the M30 controller/receiver.

You could request an older firmware version from 8BitDo support for this controller/receiver - they will provide.

Strong suggestion to use Windows to update firmware on this controller/receiver. I used Linux once to do a firmware update and permanently bricked the receiver for this controller. And 8BitDo are jerks imo in not selling the receiver separately, providing 0 options for repair, and if they agree to do anything they'll ask you to ship the controller and receiver to China ($30-$50 shipping) which is a completely dck move and a worthless way to "support" their products.
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

edr wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:16 pm
BlockABoots wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 5:36 pm Is there a way to get the 'Star' button to be registered and the 'Minus' and 'Share' buttons to be independent inputs??
Believe I saw this after updating to the latest firmware on the M30 controller/receiver.

You could request an older firmware version from 8BitDo support for this controller/receiver - they will provide.
The firmware update just changed which mode was the default, probably from x-input to d-input. Just use the instructions I listed above and you will be back to old functionality.