Adjustable Composite Converter?

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
beamrider

Re: Adjustable Composite Converter?

Unread post by beamrider »

I'm very interested in this too as I want to use my MiSTer with my 1702 monitor.
beamrider

I assume you need to also have an HDMI display connected in order to navigate the menu to launch an s-video enabled core?

I tried to connect the red green plugs to my 1702 but just got a static like display.
Hetzen

Unread post by Hetzen »

beamrider wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 2:49 pm I assume you need to also have an HDMI display connected in order to navigate the menu to launch an s-video enabled core?
The Mister menu works on the CRT. The only time you'll need to connect an HDMI is when you need to run scripts, or run cores that need higher resolutions intended for computer monitors.
dmckean

Unread post by dmckean »

Hetzen wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:32 pm
beamrider wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 2:49 pm I assume you need to also have an HDMI display connected in order to navigate the menu to launch an s-video enabled core?
The Mister menu works on the CRT. The only time you'll need to connect an HDMI is when you need to run scripts, or run cores that need higher resolutions intended for computer monitors.
With the experimental s-video cores you would need to browse to them using an hdmi monitor because the MiSTer menu doesn't yet support s-video natively.
Hetzen

Unread post by Hetzen »

dmckean wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:22 am
With the experimental s-video cores you would need to browse to them using an hdmi monitor because the MiSTer menu doesn't yet support s-video natively.
Ah I see. I was thinking about with Antonio's adapter, which I've got working here through S-video and the main menu works fine on my PVM.
beamrider

dmckean wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:22 am With the experimental s-video cores you would need to browse to them using an hdmi monitor because the MiSTer menu doesn't yet support s-video natively.
I think I'll wait for that to be implemented in the menu then as I don't have an HDMI monitor near my 1702.
MikeS1
Core Developer

Unread post by MikeS1 »

You can browse the menu :) I have no issues with the analog board or direct video. Luma uses the green out which is identical to component, you just don't have any colors until you activate it in the core.
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

I hope this composite solution will work with PAL as well. That would allow me to view the old computer and console cores the way I remember them. For me, especially the VIC-20, SVI-328 and Atari 2600. Though the VIC and Atari 2600 had even worse image quality for me, using the antenna input.

I haven't heard of arcade machines using composite or y/c, but maybe very early ones did?
Stinky

Unread post by Stinky »

The slight irony is at the time I hated the bad image quality of RF and composite
dmckean

Unread post by dmckean »

MikeS1 wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:06 am

You can browse the menu :) I have no issues with the analog board or direct video. Luma uses the green out which is identical to component, you just don't have any colors until you activate it in the core.
Oh yeah, that makes sense.
MikeS1
Core Developer

Unread post by MikeS1 »

beamrider wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:00 pm
dmckean wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:22 am With the experimental s-video cores you would need to browse to them using an hdmi monitor because the MiSTer menu doesn't yet support s-video natively.
I think I'll wait for that to be implemented in the menu then as I don't have an HDMI monitor near my 1702.
1702 is the main reason I wanted svideo from the cores :) its the easiest connection with VGA to component cables.
dmckean

Unread post by dmckean »

My JVC TVs both support Y/C if I plug in the red and green component cables and select s-video as the input.
beamrider

Gave this a try tonight on my Commodore 1702 (PAL) monitor.

I only got colour with the C64 core.
matijaerceg

Unread post by matijaerceg »

I tried MikeS's S-video/composite-modded NES, SNES, and GENESIS cores, all work really well to a JVC tv.

Chain is analog IO > VGA to Composite cable > RCA to S-Video Cable > S-Video to Composite adapter

Remember to enable the s-video in core options.
MikeS1
Core Developer

Unread post by MikeS1 »

beamrider wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:28 pm Gave this a try tonight on my Commodore 1702 (PAL) monitor.

Not all cores were designed for PAL and have that option, but I'll look at fixing the other ones. I only tested PAL on the C64 with flynn. :cry: I need to find a PVM to test pal =/
beamrider

MikeS1 wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:13 pm
beamrider wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:28 pm Gave this a try tonight on my Commodore 1702 (PAL) monitor.

Not all cores were designed for PAL and have that option, but I'll look at fixing the other ones. I only tested PAL on the C64 with flynn. :cry: I need to find a PVM to test pal =/
Oh I didn't realise it was mainly NTSC so far. Thanks for your efforts anyway, even just the C64 core will provide much value.

btw, would this be any use to allow you to test PAL?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32973589627.html