TMNT Cowabunga Collection may have some stuff taken out 😢

For topics which do not fit in other specific forums.
Captain FPGA

TMNT Cowabunga Collection may have some stuff taken out 😢

Unread post by Captain FPGA »

Now this is Mad Little Pixels take but he is extrapolating from a developer? A possible concern for me would be them failing to preserve the license music.
Dreams don't die!
rhester72
Top Contributor

Re: TMNT Cowabunga Collection may have some stuff taken out 😢

Unread post by rhester72 »

It happened with the Arcade1UP release, so I'd believe it.
Captain FPGA

rhester72 wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:45 pm It happened with the Arcade1UP release, so I'd believe it.
What did they remove/alter specifically on the Arcade1UP versions?

In RGT85's video the music appears to be intact for the Arcade1UP. Although it's hard to tell since he keeps heckling over it

Dreams don't die!
DevilHunterWolf

Unread post by DevilHunterWolf »

I can understand the Pizza Hut logos being removed. That's a simple-ish sprite change out and only those that played the originals would even miss it. The licensed TV show theme song is a sadder miss if it's not there. It does make me wonder a bit. The original Arcade1Up cabinet for TMNT had a cover version instead of the actual licensed track. The Turtles In Time version of the cabinet brought back the real licensed version of the theme song. But then for the Countercade (small tabletop) version, it was back to the cover version. The Countercade version I sorta get because it's a cheaper cabinet so they didn't spend the extra licensing money. But it's obviously possible to get the song since it was done in the Turtles In Time version of the cabinet. But I wonder if since the Cowabunga Collection is a worldwide release if that had any issues with potentially licensing the song.

In the original days, it was probably easier to secure the rights to a song or sound byte. But in today's much more geo-fenced world for music licensing, I might give them a small benefit of the doubt that they couldn't license it worldwide anymore. Otherwise if it's just that it cost more, I'm disappointed.
Captain FPGA

DevilHunterWolf wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:12 pm I can understand the Pizza Hut logos being removed. That's a simple-ish sprite change out and only those that played the originals would even miss it. The licensed TV show theme song is a sadder miss if it's not there. It does make me wonder a bit. The original Arcade1Up cabinet for TMNT had a cover version instead of the actual licensed track. The Turtles In Time version of the cabinet brought back the real licensed version of the theme song. But then for the Countercade (small tabletop) version, it was back to the cover version. The Countercade version I sorta get because it's a cheaper cabinet so they didn't spend the extra licensing money. But it's obviously possible to get the song since it was done in the Turtles In Time version of the cabinet. But I wonder if since the Cowabunga Collection is a worldwide release if that had any issues with potentially licensing the song.

In the original days, it was probably easier to secure the rights to a song or sound byte. But in today's much more geo-fenced world for music licensing, I might give them a small benefit of the doubt that they couldn't license it worldwide anymore. Otherwise if it's just that it cost more, I'm disappointed.
Solution, edit the songs out of the territories that have an issue. At that point it would seem like Konami is picking winners and losers. At least I'd have the option to import it. I believe Xbone is region free.

If it cost more and Konami refused to cover the bill AGAIN they can go fuck themselves! Omg I'll be so happy whenever some brave soul can get this working on the MiSTer. Between the original Arcade being expensive as hell and the 1ups, potentially changing the music. The only reliable version is mame. Original aside, the MiSTer version would be the ultimate with FPGA implementation. I was hoping to use this Cowabunga collection to hold me until 10 years down the line we get a MiSTer version. it seems that mame is god-tier at the moment. :(

Funnily enough the Xbox 360 version of the game for XBLA kept the original licensed theme. Didn't seem too hard back then. The problem is you only hear it during the intro scene and after you beat the game in 1-player mode. You have to let the ending playout before you can acquire the full intro music which will play once each time after you beat it, again, this can only be achieved in 1-player mode. Multiplayer you can hear the original music but only after you coin in, and it shows Splinter saying Hang on April!!
Dreams don't die!
DiamondDave

Unread post by DiamondDave »

Captain FPGA wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:40 pmNow this is Mad Little Pixels take...
That's enough for me to stop reading there ;)
Captain FPGA

DiamondDave wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:49 pm
Captain FPGA wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:40 pmNow this is Mad Little Pixels take...
That's enough for me to stop reading there ;)
Howcome? I though his videos on fightsticks and Everdrives were chill--!!

Heyyy wait a minute! This wouldn't have anything to do with his name now would it? You trying to say he's overcompensating for something :lol: You not right
Dreams don't die!
DevilHunterWolf

Unread post by DevilHunterWolf »

Captain FPGA wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:34 pm Solution, edit the songs out of the territories that have an issue. At that point it would seem like Konami is picking winners and losers. At least I'd have the option to import it. I believe Xbone is region free.

If it cost more and Konami refused to cover the bill AGAIN they can go fuck themselves! Omg I'll be so happy whenever some brave soul can get this working on the MiSTer. Between the original Arcade being expensive as hell and the 1ups, potentially changing the music. The only reliable version is mame. Original aside, the MiSTer version would be the ultimate with FPGA implementation. I was hoping to use this Cowabunga collection to hold me until 10 years down the line we get a MiSTer version. it seems that mame is god-tier at the moment. :(

Funnily enough the Xbox 360 version of the game for XBLA kept the original licensed theme. Didn't seem too hard back then. The problem is you only hear it during the intro scene and after you beat the game in 1-player mode. You have to let the ending playout before you can acquire the full intro music which will play once each time after you beat it, again, this can only be achieved in 1-player mode. Multiplayer you can hear the original music but only after you coin in, and it shows Splinter saying Hang on April!!
The Switch is region free so that would have been a possibility as well. If anything, I'd expect the North America region to have the least amount of trouble since it was a US cartoon theme song but who can say what Nickelodeon is doing with that song these days. I hate licensing tiffs and I know that region parity can also be a heated discussions for others. Not really sure which is the lesser of the two arguments: regional changes or a disappointing change for all. Either way, it's still disappointing if the original song wasn't licensed. The Arcade1Up version tried to sound the same but there was a bit of lacking enthusiasm in the vocals and it sounded too "clean" compared to the rest of the game. If it was replaced, I can only hope some chiptune talent was brought in so it at least fits in better.

But yeah, I'm anxious for the cores to reach TMNT and Turtles In Time hardware boards. Not just for TMNT but for the other classic Konami beat 'em ups. I'm keeping my existing Arcade1Up cab stock until it dies but MiSTer core replacements of at least both those games would be a solid argument for "early retirement" of the existing emulation board inside.
Captain FPGA

DevilHunterWolf wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:24 pm
Captain FPGA wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:34 pm Solution, edit the songs out of the territories that have an issue. At that point it would seem like Konami is picking winners and losers. At least I'd have the option to import it. I believe Xbone is region free.

The Switch is region free so that would have been a possibility as well. If anything, I'd expect the North America region to have the least amount of trouble since it was a US cartoon theme song but who can say what Nickelodeon is doing with that song these days. I hate licensing tiffs and I know that region parity can also be a heated discussions for others. Not really sure which is the lesser of the two arguments: regional changes or a disappointing change for all. Either way, it's still disappointing if the original song wasn't licensed. The Arcade1Up version tried to sound the same but there was a bit of lacking enthusiasm in the vocals and it sounded too "clean" compared to the rest of the game. If it was replaced, I can only hope some chiptune talent was brought in so it at least fits in better.

But yeah, I'm anxious for the cores to reach TMNT and Turtles In Time hardware boards. Not just for TMNT but for the other classic Konami beat 'em ups. I'm keeping my existing Arcade1Up cab stock until it dies but MiSTer core replacements of at least both those games would be a solid argument for "early retirement" of the existing emulation board inside.
At least with imports you still have the option to buy. Just requires a little bit more leg work. Had to import the Saturn version of X-Men vs Street Fighter when I found out the PlayStation version my brother got me for my birthday was epic fail. Sure some people will complain but at the end of the day it's an option for most.

I'd rather they just turn off the intro sound for the Arcade1UP keep the stage music. Spare me the pretend version. That will simulate whenever you went into the arcade and the games were in "no demo sound" mode until you insert a token.

Worst case scenario had better be they change the intro in the Cowabunga Collection and not the stage music or endings. I hope they don't pull an X-Men Arcade 360 and re-record the voices either. That will make this a cheap cash grab by Konami with only half the effort. I'll refuse to purchase it all together if they're that gunhoe about getting rid of everything but sprites.
Dreams don't die!