HDMI to Component (for old JVC CRT TV)

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
Phaedrus

Re: HDMI to Component (for old JVC CRT TV)

Unread post by Phaedrus »

These are the settings that finally worked for the Portta HDMI>component converter. Any changes to this and either the menu or core would not display correctly.

ypbpr=0
composite_sync=1
vga_scaler=1
vscale_mode=1
vscale_border=0
hdmi_limited=2
direct_video=0
video_mode=640,30,60,70,240,4,4,14,12587
vsync_adjust=0

In the core set aspect ratio to full screen with border on, normal/original for anything else.

It seems to be most picky about vsync_adjust which is a bit unfortunate.

In the 240p test suite (genesis core) I notice horizontal and vertical scrolling shimmer. I guess I'll need to get a proper modeline for each console. Doing the manual lag test I was getting 2 frames consistently, which is about what you'd expect for vsync=0.

All in all this converter box is a huge kluge to get component on a CRT. The colors and image quality is otherwise good so far. I haven't calibrated the CRT at all yet other than using the built in "theater" mode.

The analog io board is probably the better way to go. Will test tomorrow.
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

To line up Genesis core to 640 wide you should turn off the border and apply scaling filter "no interpolation". That should eliminate shimmer in 320 wide games at least.
thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

I had the Portta and it did not work for me either. Very few HDMI to component converters can handle the output of the MiSTer. I found one eventually, but they don't make them anymore. At this point, the easiest solution in my opinion is either a compatible HDMI to VGA converter with the right chipset inside plus a VGA to component with SOG mod in the chain somewhere, or use the Analog IO board.
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

Sorry I mentioned the Portta then. I've had it work pretty well for me the other way (Component to HDMI) on progressive Wii and such.
Phaedrus

Unread post by Phaedrus »

The Portta does work for me, but I think I'm going to have to setup a video modeline for each console to output the correct resolution for each console over HDMI, much in the way that direct video would just pass the native console resolution over HDMI.

The sync-on-green mod would be an option, but I have yet to find a decent visual representation. or guide of how to actually accomplish it.
tekn0

Unread post by tekn0 »

Does Retrotink sell a product to solve this problem? HDMI to Component 240p. I feel like he would for some reason with one of his little boxes.