A strange thing happened running update all script

Kernel, Main, Utilities & Applications, Miscellaneous Devices.
jca
Top Contributor

A strange thing happened running update all script

Unread post by jca »

Yesterday I ran the script but it was before the Linux, ... update. So today I ran the update again and saw something intriguing:
Downloading 9 files:
_Arcade/1941 Counter Attack -World 900227-.mra
_Arcade/Magic Sword Heroic Fantasy -World 900725-.mra
_Arcade/Mega Man The Power Battle -CPS1, USA 951006-.mra
_Arcade/Quiz & Dragons Capcom Quiz Game -USA 920701-.mra
_Arcade/Quiz Tonosama no Yabou 2 Zenkoku-ban -Japan 950123-.mra
_Arcade/Street Fighter II The World Warrior -World 910522-.mra
_Arcade/Street Fighter II' Champion Edition -World 920513-.mra
_Arcade/Street Fighter II' Hyper Fighting -World 921209-.mra
_Arcade/Varth Operation Thunderstorm -World 920714-.mra
I am not sure if the *......... means there was more or not, but I found it strange that these mras were downloaded so I checked in the _Arcade directory and this is what I found for the first mra in the list:
1941 Counter Attack -World 900227-.mra (time stamped 4/14)
1941 Counter Attack -World 900227-.mra (time stamped 4/8)
The 1st has 2 spaces after 1941 while the 2nd has only one.
The same kind of thing happened for the other mras: there is an extra space somewhere in the name.
:?:

I also noticed that there was a computer core update which has not been announced:
AtariST_20220413.rbf
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Re: A strange thing happened running update all script

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

The Atari ST update is probably the one adding support for the Cubase dongle.
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

I just checked the first mra on Github jtcores_mister, it has been updated 2 days ago which means it corresponds to the one timestamped 4/14 on my MISTer. It has only 1 space while mine has 2 spaces.
What is going on?
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

I deleted the mras with the extra spaces, ran update all again and the same thing happened.
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

@LamerDeluxe thanks. My post was just to make the announcement. Over the years the quality of "MiSTer Updates & Changelog" has been going down: as of today 99.99% of arcades updates are never announced, I hope the disease is not spreading to other cores.
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

jca wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:43 pm @LamerDeluxe thanks. My post was just to make the announcement. Over the years the quality of "MiSTer Updates & Changelog" has been going down: as of today 99.99% of arcades updates are never announced, I hope the disease is not spreading to other cores.
Just checked my mra files and I see the same double-space extra mra files you see. Seems like update_all updated itself with a bug causing that.
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

jca wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:43 pm @LamerDeluxe thanks. My post was just to make the announcement. Over the years the quality of "MiSTer Updates & Changelog" has been going down: as of today 99.99% of arcades updates are never announced, I hope the disease is not spreading to other cores.
These are updates to Jotego cores, which are not a part of main as you well know.

It's very simple really to monitor what you'd get beforehand, by just checking on each dev's repository. Github makes that easy by listing updated branches in chronological order. For example, here you can see that the release folder for Jotego's cores has been updated 2 days ago, etc.

I know it's a pain, especially since there are so many cores we love outside of the "official" repo, but come on, it's not that much of a job ;)
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Like mentioned by jca, I'm also not seeing the double spaces in the file names here: https://github.com/jotego/jtcores_miste ... in/_Arcade
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

My complain about arcade updates not being announced refers only to the official official updates and it is more about knowing what these updates are about than knowing an update is available. Updates to MISTer are frequent enough that these arcades updates are automatically installed. In the end this is not that important, having update-all working properly is more important.
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

This reminds me that I'd love to have a way to see the latest updated arcade cores on MiSTer, like a sort by date option. I often can't remember the names of newly added arcade cores when I'm using MiSTer and I easily overlook them in the text avalanche of the updater. At least the other cores have a date behind their name.
EDIT: Maybe the arcade organizer could have a latest (added/updated) cores option, sorted by date.
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

Too many arcades cores and mras, may be we should trim some :D
I saw that you are going to invade a Commodore club with Atari stuff, have fun!
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

jca wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:02 pm Too many arcades cores and mras, may be we should trim some :D
I saw that you are going to invade a Commodore club with Atari stuff, have fun!
Thanks! Looking forward to it. First time I heard of it I thought the concept was hilarious. Last time I suggested we should kidnap the founder of the Commodore club, so we barged in with alien masks on to do so (while shouting Atari!) :D I grew up with Commodore machines, but also the 2600 and I love the Lynx.

I'd like more arcade cores, but the current list of cores is getting pretty long. The arcade organizer is a great thing though.