GunCon 2 connector with RGB

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
lomdar67

GunCon 2 connector with RGB

Unread post by lomdar67 »

Hi,

I have a question regarding Lightguns. I build myself a VGA to Scart ( RGB) cable like described here:

https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-boar ... ScartCable

The cable is working nicely with my analog I/O board and even better with direct video (picture quality is so much better with direct video).
So now I want to extend my setup with a GunCon 2. As far as I understand it the GunCon cable is normally connected to the composite port of the tv. In an RGB Scart setup like mine I can connect the GunCon to the c-sync. Is this correct?
So the composite connector (chinch) of the GunCon has two connections. In my setup the middle connection of the cinch connector goes to c-sync. What do I do with the outer connector? Do I need it. If so can I connected to any ground connection?

I hope someone can help me out here.

Best regards,
Michael
We raise hopes here...until they're old enough to fend for themselves.
--Mike Callahan
Higgy

Re: GunCon 2 connector with RGB

Unread post by Higgy »

Hi.
I always ran my PS1 and PS2 on RGB scart CRTs.
The GunCon 1 and 2 connector would plug into a composite phono on my PlayStation scart lead.
However I was thinking i recently plugged the GunCon phono into the front of my TV in the Composite phono rather than via the scart lead. The TV should connect this internally anyway.

So what am I saying. Assuming your CRT (which a lot of UK ones do) has scart at the back and also separate composite (plus audio) phonos, just plug the GunCon in there. And use your MiSTer scart.

I will try and get around to using a multimeter and confirm, but I am sure the GunCon phono plug just connects to the scart composite signal.
lomdar67

Unread post by lomdar67 »

Higgy wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:39 pm Hi.
I always ran my PS1 and PS2 on RGB scart CRTs.
The GunCon 1 and 2 connector would plug into a composite phono on my PlayStation scart lead.
However I was thinking i recently plugged the GunCon phono into the front of my TV in the Composite phono rather than via the scart lead. The TV should connect this internally anyway.

So what am I saying. Assuming your CRT (which a lot of UK ones do) has scart at the back and also separate composite (plus audio) phonos, just plug the GunCon in there. And use your MiSTer scart.

I will try and get around to using a multimeter and confirm, but I am sure the GunCon phono plug just connects to the scart composite signal.
VGA to Scart doesn't have a composite signal! There is only RGB. So red, green, blue, rgb-switch, ground and a c-sync (RGB-sync) signal.
We raise hopes here...until they're old enough to fend for themselves.
--Mike Callahan
Higgy

Unread post by Higgy »

Hi,

Sorry I meant that with an original PS setup when using scart the phono on the GunCon is plugged into the Composite signal for the Sync (as composite has the video and sync all wrapped in together).
So the same should be fine for the VGA. Just need to tap into the Sync or like I say, just try plugging the phono into the TVs composite.
I've got the hardware but not changed my MiSTer to support GunCon 2 yet.
Higgy

Unread post by Higgy »

Just tested and it does work plugging the GunCon 2 into the TV's Composite phono (common feature on UK SCART TVs).