ED Error Message

mchin

ED Error Message

Unread post by mchin »

I'm getting the "ED" error message when booting up the core. On the Github docs ED is listed as "CPU Data/Bus request timeout". I've tried different builds, different PSX bios files and even a different SD card installation with no luck.

Anyone had this and figured out what it was/how to fix?

Apologies if this has been answered before, I was not able to find it in the search.
Pepeart

Re: ED Error Message

Unread post by Pepeart »

Are you getting your .rbf from the nightlies github?
mchin

Unread post by mchin »

Yes, from here. That's the link i've seen in the two guides I've watched, is there a better place?
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

mchin wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:26 pm I'm getting the "ED" error message when booting up the core. On the Github docs ED is listed as "CPU Data/Bus request timeout". I've tried different builds, different PSX bios files and even a different SD card installation with no luck.

Anyone had this and figured out what it was/how to fix?

Apologies if this has been answered before, I was not able to find it in the search.
Sounds like you either don't have the BIOS in "/games/PSX/cd_bios.rom" or you don't have the latest MiSTer binary. Run the updater and then place the appropriate bios file into the PSX games folder and rename it to cd_bios.rom
birdybro~
mchin

Unread post by mchin »

aberu wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:10 am Sounds like you either don't have the BIOS in "/games/PSX/cd_bios.rom" or you don't have the latest MiSTer binary. Run the updater and then place the appropriate bios file into the PSX games folder and rename it to cd_bios.rom
Thanks for the reply. I've done this and still no luck. I've tried both cd_bios.rom and boot.rom as the filename for the bios, and have gotten schp1001.bin from three different sources.

I am now using the updater script but still have the ED error message.
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

Alright, let's make sure we go through everything to see what it could be.

1. Do you have the SDRAM module? If not, you need SDRAM to run this core.

2. If you are using FTP to transfer files, make sure your FTP client is specifically set to do Binary transfers not ASCII. Filezilla comes by default set to transfer files using ASCII and that's wrong and will send the files over corrupted. If you were set to ASCII when using an FTP client, then send over the files all over again for the core (
https://github.com/MiSTer-unstable-nigh ... 16a2c1.rbf), BIOS, and Main MiSTer binary (https://github.com/MiSTer-unstable-nigh ... 425_1796a4).

3. When you go into the core if you still get the error "ED", then go to the secondary OSD (open the menu and press right) and then go to Reset Settings and select that, then go to save settings and select that. Now power cycle your MiSTer.
birdybro~
FPGAzumSpass
Core Developer

Unread post by FPGAzumSpass »

if you get no BIOS boot up(no image and no sound, but OSD works) with 1001 BIOS you either have no sdram(1 module, any size) or the bios is at the wrong spot.

If you can't get it to work, please post a screenshot of the bios in the folder. Here is what i use:
2022-04-27 06_53_00-Window.png
2022-04-27 06_53_00-Window.png (4.01 KiB) Viewed 1940 times
mchin

Unread post by mchin »

FPGAzumSpass wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:54 am if you get no BIOS boot up(no image and no sound, but OSD works) with 1001 BIOS you either have no sdram(1 module, any size) or the bios is at the wrong spot.

If you can't get it to work, please post a screenshot of the bios in the folder. Here is what i use:

2022-04-27 06_53_00-Window.png
I have a digital IO board and swapped the sdram module into the other slot - things are now working.

Is this a known requirement (maybe I missed it)? I was planning on getting a second module and now I'm wondering if there's an issue with my board on that slot. Thanks everyone for the help.
FPGAzumSpass
Core Developer

Unread post by FPGAzumSpass »

the first sdram always has to be in a specific slot. You must have inserted it in the wrong one.
It's not like in a PC where it doesn't matter.

That means that most other cores have also not been working before, e.g. Gameboy, SNES, NES, NeoGeo, ...
mchin

Unread post by mchin »

I was only using the Genesis core before, that worked fine. Only just got the Mister hardware. Thanks again for the suggestions, played some Discworld tonight and had a blast.
Chris23235
Top Contributor

Unread post by Chris23235 »

mchin wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:00 am I was only using the Genesis core before, that worked fine. Only just got the Mister hardware. Thanks again for the suggestions, played some Discworld tonight and had a blast.
The Genesis core uses the DDR-RAM when it finds no usable RAM module.