Please add vertical flip to Dig Dug

netbeui

Please add vertical flip to Dig Dug

Unread post by netbeui »

If anyone is able to add vertical flip to Dig Dug I would greatly appreciate it! Does anyone know if this is one of the more difficult games to update for flipping?
jca
Top Contributor

Re: Please add vertical flip to Dig Dug

Unread post by jca »

:?: :?:
netbeui

Unread post by netbeui »

Sorry if the vertical aspect made it confusing. Dig Dug is a vertical game so I guess it’s redundant/unnecessary to mention it as “vertical flip”. I’m just wondering if it’s possible to have a flip option for the game. I have a PVM dedicated to vertical games that sits on it’s side, I can play almost all vertical games on it except for Dig Dug because there’s no flip option in the menu. Most of the vertical arcade cores have that option but it’s not there for Dig Dug. I hope this makes more sense! :)
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

Not confusing to me. IIRC clockwise is the most compatible orientation, but then there's a few games that have the opposite orientation and can't be flipped.
Duffygag

Unread post by Duffygag »

Not confusing at all, unfortunately I can't help you with that tho :)
jimmystones
Core Developer

Unread post by jimmystones »

I'll give it a go.. no promises though! :D
netbeui

Unread post by netbeui »

jimmystones wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:44 pm I'll give it a go.. no promises though! :D
Thank you jimmystones!
jimmystones
Core Developer

Progress is being made in simulation (thanks Mister-X for making a 100% verilog core and making that bit possible!)
DigDug_Flip.png
DigDug_Flip.png (33.25 KiB) Viewed 3236 times
Just need to sort out some minor glitches and it should be good to go :D
thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

jimmystones wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:34 pm Progress is being made in simulation (thanks Mister-X for making a 100% verilog core and making that bit possible!)
What software are you using for the simulation where you got that screenshot from? I am interested in maybe someday learning how to contribute to core development and I didn't realize you could actually simulate a core outside the MiSTer with a display of the screen. Thanks!
jimmystones
Core Developer

I use Verilator to generate c++ from the Verilog code, and that runs in a cobbled together framework application (a Visual Studio C++ solution) with a DearImgui front-end. Thanks go to ElectronAsh, Alanxswx and many more whose code it has evolved from over time! It will only work with Verilog, not VHDL, so I can only really use it effectively on a few of the main cores without converting stuff. Everything I write myself is Verilog anyway so haven't investigated the VHDL simulation side further to be honest.

The application simulates some of the MiSTer framework functions like uploading ROMs, input mapping etc, and also displays the VGA output and records audio to a file for later listening. The main reason for that last bit is that the sim will never run full speed - depending on the complexity of the core it can be 30% speed down to VERY SLOW :D Dig Dug runs at between 6-7 FPS as ex an example.

I have a template project (be aware, needs a bit work to setup and isn't exactly a beginners guide) for the sim here:
https://github.com/JimmyStones/Verilator_Template
thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

Awesome, thanks!!!
jimmystones
Core Developer

Just released the vertical flip update, hopefully it does the job :D
netbeui

Unread post by netbeui »

You rock! Thank you!!
HerrBerzerk

Unread post by HerrBerzerk »

Was it vertical flip for the analog out? If so, would you be able to take a look at the other arcade games that rotate in the "wrong" direction, like Centipede? That would help so much in an arcade cabinet. Thanks.
jimmystones
Core Developer

It was analog video flip, yes. Pretty much every game is a different challenge - I had a brief attempt at getting it working in Centipede last week and was not successful - and there is only so much time I can spend on one feature for a single core without getting disheartened! Doesn't mean it won't be sorted in future by me or another dev though so keep your fingers crossed :D
HerrBerzerk

Unread post by HerrBerzerk »

Yes, sure. It seems it is unfortunately not possible just to use the flip screen code for the cocktail mode on theses games to replicate a flip screen functionality, that's what I was hoping, having no coding skills myself :-(

Actually when I bought Mister, I thought it would be a good idea to put it in an arcade cabinet, but thats not really feasible for the next time because especially the arcade era I grown up with, all the early 80's games, are still not feature complete or have an issue like screen flipping or sound. CPS is cool but I'm too old for brawler. Though I like Mister now for all the other cores :-)
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

Awesome job @jimmystones ! Thanks for your efforts.

I remember LadyBug having the same problem. (and of course Gorf, which is apparently difficult to do).
netbeui

Unread post by netbeui »

jimmystones wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:42 pm Just released the vertical flip update, hopefully it does the job :D
Hi jimmystones, I just enjoyed a game of Dig Dug without having to flip my PVM - thanks again for adding the flip option! Afterwards I played a few other vertical games and then noticed Xevious and Gyruss don't have a flip option either, do'h! :o

When you have a chance can you take a look at Xevious and Gyruss? Xevious holds a special place in my heart as I used to play it at a favourite burger joint in the 80's :)
jimmystones
Core Developer

Now, Xevious I swear I remember Blackwine doing that months ago - have pinged him a message in case it just didn't get merged back into Mister-devel.

Gyruss could be doable, as it's 90% verilog so I can sim it and do some trial and error hacking, might ask Ace and see what thinks about the viabilty of it first through as I don't know anything about the hardware.
jimmystones
Core Developer

Blackwine's Xevious changes have been merged, so you now have analog video flip on that core amongst other improvements :)
dmckean

Unread post by dmckean »

JaguarLV is back, vertical flip and mouse sensitivity added to the Centipede core.
Lex

Unread post by Lex »

Hello!

Did the update but there is neither vertical flip nor sensitivity in the core menu. Is this already implemented?

regards,
jimmystones
Core Developer

Hi - afraid it's not released yet. JaguarLV has made a pull request, and I built it for the release but when I tested it I saw some graphical corruption, so I'm just waiting for them to respond on that.

Shouldn't be too much longer :)
Lex

Unread post by Lex »

Thx Jimmy!

Would be awesome if trackball for Centipede core could work they way it was supposed to.

Thanks to all the programmers who contributed to this.
Zeosstud

Unread post by Zeosstud »

Love the vertical flip on Centipede!! What a great step in the right direction.. Looking forward to testing it more and more as the trackball stuff gets dialed in.

Zeosstud