X68000 With Non-Japanese Keyboard?

ExCyber

X68000 With Non-Japanese Keyboard?

Unread post by ExCyber »

I was trying to understand installing things to HDD on X68000, but I ran into a problem because I don't think there's any way to type the yen symbol, which is the directory separator in Human68K, on my US keyboard. The obvious thing would be to use the backslash key (since the character code is the same; this is presumably why it became the directory separator), but this produces the scan code for the right bracket/brace. As far as I can tell, the PS/2 scan code for the yen/pipe key is more-or-less unique to Japanese keyboards.

I could probably figure out how to make the necessary changes to recognize some other key as the yen/pipe key, but is there some existing solution for this?
YLFAndy

Re: X68000 With Non-Japanese Keyboard?

Unread post by YLFAndy »

I poked at this a little last night, mapping KEYCODE 115 = 0x00a5 in kbd.map then running loadkeys to load the mapper file. It worked in Linux, but still no love in the core (which I assumed wouldn't happen, but part of me hoped there was some non-raw piping of that data). I don't know where Puu's code is stored, but the github transfer from sorgelig has a PS/2 keyboard emulation section. I don't know enough about core programming (yet) to really say much more than 'there's a thing that kinda sounds like maybe it could be updated to allow what you're asking.' Key.sys in the BIN folder on the Tonton drives might hold some hope, as well, but I haven't dug into that much yet.
Do post back if you figure it out.
Sorgelig
Site Admin

Unread post by Sorgelig »

The correct way would be an addition of missed keys through key combo. WIN keys weren't present at that time so they can be an Fn keys for this core. Implementation should be inside the core (not in linux).
puu
Core Developer

Unread post by puu »

Unfortunately, the X68000 keyboard has 113 keys. Even if the keyboard for Windows is a Japanese keyboard, it has only 109 keys, so it was not possible to assign it to all the keys. Still, in my DE0-CV version I can assign all the major keys, but MiSTer doesn't assign some important keys such as backslashes.
Fortunately, however, the X68000 has a software keyboard implemented at the BIOS level. On the Human68k console, if you press the second mouse button, the software keyboard will be displayed, so you can cover it with the input from there.
Kalvan

Unread post by Kalvan »

I would recommend a Unicomp 122 key keyboard. It has the advantage of sufficient macro keys to assign the missing key functions.

You're on your own for kanji stroke and kana key sublabels, though.
_javi_

Unread post by _javi_ »

puu wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:45 pm Unfortunately, the X68000 keyboard has 113 keys. Even if the keyboard for Windows is a Japanese keyboard, it has only 109 keys, so it was not possible to assign it to all the keys. Still, in my DE0-CV version I can assign all the major keys, but MiSTer doesn't assign some important keys such as backslashes.
Fortunately, however, the X68000 has a software keyboard implemented at the BIOS level. On the Human68k console, if you press the second mouse button, the software keyboard will be displayed, so you can cover it with the input from there.
I want to press the "HELP" key during a game execution (so that the Star Force game changes to 15khz mode), so the Human68k soft keyboard wont function there.

How can i assing the "HELP" key to any other keypress combo on a 'standard windows' keyboard?
puu
Core Developer

Unread post by puu »

In the latest update, I have added a keyboard layout switch so that even US keyboards can support all keys.
http://fpga8801.seesaa.net/archives/20220716-1.html

Please refer to the following in the archive for the key layout.
Doc/keymap.xlsx
SuperSpongo

Unread post by SuperSpongo »

Hello,

Where can we find the keymap.xlsx file? I searched your website, but did not find a download. I'm also trying to press the HELP key.

This Github seems to be old.
https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/X68000_MiSTer

Thank you!
thera34

Unread post by thera34 »

SuperSpongo wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:36 am Where can we find the keymap.xlsx file? I searched your website, but did not find a download. I'm also trying to press the HELP key.
See this post: viewtopic.php?p=56313#p56313